The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
hipasschev94

88 gmc k1500 -black betty-

alright i bought this truck about 4 months ago for 700, when i bought it it needed a tranny and wouldnt start. so since then i have gotten a bandade tranny in it out of my s10 (working great so far) and it wouldnt run because of a bad ground for the fuel pump, got it all fixed and its been running good. now the specs are reg. cab long box, preformance built 350 cammed with ase computer and chiped, 700r4 tranny really good tires, brand new brakes new brake lines new fuel filter new fuel pump new section of fuel lines. now since ive bought it it has a new air cleaner assembly, belt, and a few other odds and ends mechanically. then i have mainly been working on customizing at this point so i painted the dash have done some recent detailing (no pictures of new detailing yet) sold a totaled car a got from my grandma and over hauled the sound system so i replaced all 4 4x6 speakers with boss audo 3 way speakers, brand new deck that can do just about anything, 2 12" 1800 boss audio onyx subs 4000w mono block amp and a 4 farad cap, my whole system is boss except the cap and it costed about 900, then fixed the ground for the tail lights put on a 79 hood emblem, now trying to find a gmc hood ornament and custom fitted new pedals. first 2 pics are when i brought it home, last 2 are as it sits now
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
hipasschev94

Re: 88 gmc k1500 -black betty-

alright when i started tearing apart the dash to paint it and do a 91 gauge cluster swap, got everything taken out and cleaned then sprayed flat black with gloss red accents then moved some wires around on the harness for the cluster to make the new cluster work and got it all put back together
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
hipasschev94

then for now i have the door panels off refurbishing them to match my color scheme, then i have the stereo put in
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
hipasschev94

then for now i have bought new rockers and cab corners, havent gotten to putting them on it yet, then my whole game plan is that im building a 383 stroker tbi motor for it then im buying a parts truck then im taking the frame on it rebiulding it then buying a 78 parts truck and swapping the whole drive train over, 400 trans, gear to gear divorced transfercase, coporate 12 bolt in back then a dana 44 up front, straight axle it on the right side as it should be lol, im going new on the inside and vintage on the out, im rockin high siarra for this project. i have an original set of aluminum gm hurricane rims off of my 78 that is going on this and im hoping to be able to get about 8" s of lift in it when im done, ill kepp everybody updated and post some pictures as is now soon, i took out the expensive system for now and put a smaller one in till i get a box for my 12s
Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
hipasschev94

got some of the panels in primer and half a panel in 1st stage of the 2 tone ill try to get some pictures soon did alittle more detailing on the dash started painting some of the ineirior trim peices then im going to the junkyard to get a few parts i need headliner headlight plug speedo sensor and a bunch of other things then im trying to trade the sound system for my drive train and now for a new idea im thinking of shaving the existing door handles the doing some fab work and putting on the door handle and lock off of a 73-87 full size what you guys think
Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
hipasschev94

havent been on here alot but alot has changed with this truck. what happend these past couple months was the project got put on hold and had to start using it for work and worked her straight into the ground, now how she stands it my frame is about to snap in half i blew the motor steering columb fell out on my on the highway (that was interesting when that happend) and the box is done, i wont be able to post pictures tonight but now shes parked and shes going to be a long term project. what i have in mind is baisicly having a old truck with a new body. im still doing the sas on the new frame going to get just enough a lift to clear 35" tires then im building a carburated preformance 350 and im going to hook up a turbo 350 with a shift kit. im still deciding on what transfer case to go with and im sticking to halfton axels dana 44 upfront then a 12 bolt in back, theres alot more planed for her now that ill have more time to work and not have to drive her the next day, ill post some pics when i can but this is going to be a long standing project. im about to get the 2 parts trucks within the month so i should be able to start soon hopefully
Old 10-31-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
hipasschev94

has anybody tried or heard of trying to do a custom dash with a gauge cluster from a square body chevy? im still looking at doing some custom old school styling to it
Old 11-03-2015, 02:08 AM   #8
hipasschev94

Well that was definitely a blast from the past, I won't lie I do miss this truck. The old girl met her end when I took a job that I wound up driving it for, after towing quite a bit the frame finally snapped in half from overloading it. Still drove great though it wound up being the motor seizing that signed the deed. It was a fun learning experience all the way through and hopefully my 93 k1500 will give me as many memories as this truck did.