The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2004, 01:10 AM   #1
fast71
Drive it like U stole it

testing waters on price

I'm wanting to turn my truck into a factory a/c truck. insteed of cutting the dash I want to replace it witha factory dash. How much should expect to spend ? How hard will it be to round up all of the parts? I want to have this done before June so I want to start scouting now. I have a fact condencor and a compressor . I know I need brackets ,and all the a/c parts on both sides on the firewall . Any Ideas will be helpful and Thanks in advance
87 s10
96 burb
94 camry
53 5 window 3100
fast71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
Huck

Converting from non-fact AC to fact AC is not all that hard. You can cut an AC dash front along the perforated line behind the dash pad---and then the dash front basically unbolts ---a couple of bolts on each side. Installing the AC front ----you bolt it in and spot weld along this perforated seam.---that part is done. Would no spend more then $40-50. for an AC dash front.However, it will be much easier if you install the under dash stuff while you have this piece off.
I have 6-7 sets of AC boxes--the plastic pieces that hold the heater/AC condenser/fan for under dash and under hood---problem being is they are so big --shipping will be a pain in the butt as they are also fragile.
The under dash diverter box is a pain as many of the new production stuff falls apart where the flapper rubber is. Try to find a good original as they are much better. The rest is A/C basic---find somone who knows A/C and will work cheap (beer??). I would go with either a new/rebuilt original compressor or one of the newer type that don't suck up so much horsepower. You will also want a cycling control verses constant on.
I have 3 A/C trucks---with only one working. I may wind up converting one to a new aftermarket Air as they are more efficient and much cheaper to run/maintain. ----Good luck--Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
fast71
Drive it like U stole it

Thanks Huck, I'm a certified a/c tech so I have all the tools to vacuum the system and charge it . just wondering what I was going against on the firewalll and the dash. I had already thought about cutting the dash and putting the a/c box in while it was out . I guess I need to look around here for a parts truck with air . If I could find someone going to Pigeon forge for the show that had what I needed maybe they could bring the stuff and I could buy it then . I really just needed some figures so I know how much to start putting back . Thanks
87 s10
96 burb
94 camry
53 5 window 3100

Last edited by fast71; 01-25-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:04 PM   #4
olblue60@aol.com

A/C

Hi
I spoke with Shaun @ "Ricks Pickup Parts" who seems to be a respected and reliable vendor and also restores trucks. He swares on the new a/c systems that are available and also heat.Far less mods needed on the firewall as well. I'm by no means an expert, Its just info., supplied to me by what I feel is a reliable source. Everything you will need for about a grand.His stand is new,efficient and reliable.His company is based in AZ. where a/c is important.
olblue60@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 12:34 PM   #5
fast71
Drive it like U stole it

Thanks oleblue60 . I'm really wanting to go factory . I dont know why,I guess I'm one of those factory type people,But thanks agian for letting me know thats a option if this doesnt pan out.
87 s10
96 burb
94 camry
53 5 window 3100
Old 01-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
uncle

A/C

The 2 large holes on the outer firewall behind the a/c box are also different.
uncle is offline   Reply With Quote