The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-17-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
kipps

double-pinning a sealed terminal?

I'm specifically looking at GT and MetriPack terminals here, but the question applies more broadly.

If an OEM double-pinned a terminal(i.e. two wires on the same terminal), it appears they exclusively did so with non-sealed terminals and connectors.

Is it possible to do this with sealed terminals and connectors? I suppose I could drill out a seal, use an oversize seal, or just kinda' smash the seals into the hole and hope they fit.

But are there any sealed connector systems with seals designed for a double-pinned terminal? I'm hypothetically picturing a seal with a figure-eight shaped hole in the middle, to accommodate both wires.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:12 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: double-pinning a sealed terminal?

No, I don't think any of the Packard/Delphi/Aptiv sealed connector systems have provisions for two wires attached to a single terminal.

There are some MetriPack connectors that use "pull to seat" terminals and have a single silicone seal with multiple wire holes. For example, the plug used on CS-130 & 144 alternators. But those still only have one wire hole for each terminal.

All of the factory wiring harnesses I've worked on seem get around this limitation by using multi-wire splices in the harness. Say for example, you want to supply power to 3 or 4 sensors. Instead of daisy chaining the power wire from one connector to the next (which requires 2 wires per terminal except for the last connector in the chain), they run the feed wire into a splice that branches off to 3 or 4 wires, each one leading directly to a single terminal on each connector.

Using an oversize seal (meant for a heavier gauge wire) would probably be the best way to go if you absolutely have to connect 2 wires to a single terminal. Even then, you'd probably want a little bit of supplemental sealer (like RTV silicone) to help fill any gaps.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
kipps

Ray_Mcavoy, I was trying to avoid inter-harness splices, but some are going to be unavoidable. Particularly in the ground wires.

What splice method do you recommend? I've figured there should be small aluminum bits to crimp over several wires, but I can't find them listed anywhere. I'm just looking for something simple and solid, to go inside a heat shrink seal.

One typical example -- I'll have a heavy 10 gauge wire coming from the trailer connector, and heading toward the engine block. I'd like to tee the tail-light grounds(16 gauge) into this wire, so I don't have to run them separately the entire way to the front. How would I make those splices?
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
Old 09-18-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

A lot of the factory splices were done with open barrel splice clips similar to these --> https://www.newark.com/amp-te-connec...imp/dp/86W4585

They were usually soldered after crimping. I've also seen some that appear as though the wires were simply twisted tight together and then soldered. And if it's in a location that could be exposed to water, seal it up with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #5
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
A lot of the factory splices were done with open barrel splice clips similar to these --> https://www.newark.com/amp-te-connec...imp/dp/86W4585

They were usually soldered after crimping. I've also seen some that appear as though the wires were simply twisted tight together and then soldered. And if it's in a location that could be exposed to water, seal it up with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.
That's EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for! I just had no idea what to search for. I assume I can crimp them in place with the same crimper tool I use for the terminals?

I've heard solder both recommended and condemned. Some say it guarantees the permanence of the crimped connection. Others say it makes the wire brittle, and causes early failure. What's your view?
Old 09-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

Yeah, as long as your crimping tool(s) are capable of handling open barrel terminals that are the same size as the splice clips, you can use the same tool.

I've heard the same thing regarding the pros & cons of soldering automotive electrical connections. In most cases, I usually solder connections like this just for the added security it provides. But go easy on the solder, don't apply an excessive amount that will wick up into the stranded wire away from the splice, making it brittle. And try to locate the splice in a portion of the harness that will be well supported by whatever clips / clamps you use to secure the harness in place so it won't be subject to excessive movement.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
kipps

Another question -- I'm already using a number of gt280 sealed connectors throughout this project, so I wanted to do the same for the fuel sender/pump units. I found this male and female 3-pin sealed gt280 connector set, but I can't locate any terminal position assurance(TPA) locks for them. I'm finding gt280 TPA's in almost every configuration other than three-pin. I can't even locate a part number for what I want. Any suggestions, other than switch to four-pin or switch to metri-pack?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...RK2JOWDg%3D%3D

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...7VtQEm3w%3D%3D
Old 09-19-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
ray_mcavoy

I'm not as familiar with the GT series of connectors as I am with the MetriPack, WeatherPack, and other earlier styles.

Have you actually purchased & received those connectors? The reason I ask is because the descriptions in their datasheets list them as "connector assembly". And the "related products" links only show seals, terminals, and a CPA lock. That makes me think the TPA's might be included as part of the connector assembly.

I have an old PDF catalog that I downloaded from the website back when they used to be Delphi. It lists some GT series connectors and shows cross sectional views of them. The particular part numbers you're looking at aren't listed, but they show what they call a "Primary Lock Reinforcement" as opposed to a TPA. And those aren't listed separately either, again making me think they only come as part of the connector assembly.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
kipps

The primary lock is the colored plastic bit on the mating surface of the connector. It doesn't actually lock the terminals in place, but rather it guarantees the terminals stay aligned correctly. Without the TPA, or secondary lock as it's also called, the terminals are only held in place by a plastic tang inside the connector body.

The sketches of the connectors on mouser don't show the TPA being included. They do appear to show the primary lock. I've been assuming that an assembly includes the connector and the primary lock. I see secondary locks listed for a bunch of the others, but not for the three-pin.

No, I've not actually ordered from mouser yet. I need to get an order in soon, but a critical part of that first order will be the connectors for my fuel senders.

Edit to add: I found this manual for assembling/disassembling the 2-6 pin gt 280 connectors. It lists part numbers for the TPA's. Interestingly, this manual says the TPA is not included with the connector, and must be ordered separately. I googled the part numbers for the various TPA's listed. They all immediately popped up valid results. The three-position TPA did not. One place said they were out of stock. Nobody else, Mouser included, admitted that they had ever existed.

I'll probably just use a four-pin, and install a plug in the extra hole.

https://ecat.aptiv.com/docs/default-...rsn=49c77c06_0

Last edited by kipps; 09-19-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #10
ray_mcavoy

Like I said earlier, I'm not as familiar with the GT series as I am with some of the other connectors in the Packard/Delphi/Aptiv line so I'm just going off what I can find in the catalogs & other documentation.

Attached is a clip from the old Delphi catalog that shows the cross sectional view of the sealed GT280 connectors. From this, it appears as though the "Primary Lock Reinforcement" ensures that the plastic tangs holding the terminals in place can't be sprung back to release them. I don't see anything else on these illustrations that resembles or functions as a TPA.

Edit: I just noticed your edit and checked out the listings in the Aptive assembly manual you linked to. And I did see in there where it says the TPA is optional and must be ordered separately. Maybe that was something that wasn't available on some of the early GT280 connectors and was added later.

I also saw in there where they list part number 15436197 as the TPA for the 3-position connector. Searching for that on Mouser does bring up a listing but unfortunately says it's a non-stocked item.
Attached Images

Last edited by ray_mcavoy; 09-19-2020 at 09:12 PM.