The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
tdangle

Can swap

Can you swap cam with engine in truck. 70 with AC

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:24 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Can swap

You'd have to pull the radiator and the AC condenser, probably the core support, and maybe the grill.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:51 PM   #3
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
You'd have to pull the radiator and the AC condenser, probably the core support, and maybe the grill.
That's what I thought. I was hoping someone had been able to do it with the AC condenser in. Per my measurements I didn't think it would work. Probably easier to pull the motor than pull the front end apart and redo the A/C

Old 09-11-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
That's what I thought. I was hoping someone had been able to do it with the AC condenser in. Per my measurements I didn't think it would work. Probably easier to pull the motor than pull the front end apart and redo the A/C
Never easier!
I don’t think your condenser is solid mounted to the rest of the a/c stuff. Should move out of the way.
Why the cam change?
Do you have pics of your engine with a/c stuff.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Never easier!
I don’t think your condenser is solid mounted to the rest of the a/c stuff. Should move out of the way.
Why the cam change?
Do you have pics of your engine with a/c stuff.
I put in a SP350/357 GM crate motor earlier this year. Didn't realize a cam with a 108 LSA (215/223 duration) would not really idle very smooth. I've pretty much decided that I'll give up a bit of HP at the top end for more torque at the bottom and a smoother idle. Don't have any pictures, but it's all stock as far as the AC goes.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I put in a SP350/357 GM crate motor earlier this year. Didn't realize a cam with a 108 LSA (215/223 duration) would not really idle very smooth. I've pretty much decided that I'll give up a bit of HP at the top end for more torque at the bottom and a smoother idle. Don't have any pictures, but it's all stock as far as the AC goes.
108 lobe separation is more for low end torque, and I have a tendency to run circle track 106's myself. I am leaving duration out of this equation as longer duration vs shorter is good for rpm.

A 110 lobe separation is what most street cams are ground on for good idle, and low end power. I would get a model with this lobe seperation, and no more then 112. Unless you build a engine to swing to 7500 rpm.

Lobe seperation has a tendency to just move the power up in the higher end by about 500 rpm to maybe a 1000 on a wilder cam. This is why I prefer the 106's since I could get 20-30 more hp/tq from 2500 till 4500 roughly to mess around with. I also enjoy the rough idle in a performance build.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote