The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #51
buckshot305

Re: 6.0 or Bust!!!

Just checking in. I'm out of town all week, so probably won't get anything done. I went to Cumming and met with the guy I'm getting my engine through. We got to talking about different power options. He told me that a set of 799 heads are the same as 243 heads off the LS6. The 799's off 5.3's are the same casting but are obviously easier to come by. Can anyone confirm this? He told me that a set of 799's decked .025 and opened up a bit would be pretty impressive on a LQ9. He also said it would bump the CR up to around 11.0:1. He also said that a LS1 or LS6 intake would wake it up a bit over the truck intake. For budget's sake, I'll hold off on heads and intake for now, but I am definitely sticking a cam in right off the bat. He said cam and tune only, that I should put down around 450 at the crank.

On another note, I got my 83 out for a nice Sunday drive today. I love that truck! I did a huge burnout behind the shop before I put it up, but unfortunately didn't get it on video. There's been some naysayers on Youtube saying that my truck won't spin tires on pavement. I would have shut them up if I had gotten it on video today. I left 2 12.5" wide x 150' long marks to prove it!
buckshot305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #52
buckshot305

I've got a question for everyone. In doing some research, I found that the GenIII truck engines use a return style fuel system, and have a built in fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. So why is everyone using the Corvette filter/regulator? Those who are using the corvette filter/regulator, what are you doing on the fuel rail? Do you have to block off the supply outlet?

In looking under my 87, I have a supply and return line from the switching valve all the way to the throttle body. It's hard lines along the frame to 90 deg bends at the bellhousing, where they turn up and towards the engine, and then connect to braided stainless lines up the back pass side of the engine and to the TB. It seems to me that it would be easier to cut and flare the hard lines, and run -AN tube nuts to braided stainless up to the fuel rails. That way, I reuse almost all of my original fuel system (except the hi pressure switching valve and in tank pumps).

If I'm mistaken on the truck style fuel rails, please correct me. If not, can someone tell me how I could keep the return style system.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 04-21-2010, 11:16 PM   #53
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot305 View Post
I've got a question for everyone. In doing some research, I found that the GenIII truck engines use a return style fuel system, and have a built in fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. So why is everyone using the Corvette filter/regulator? Those who are using the corvette filter/regulator, what are you doing on the fuel rail? Do you have to block off the supply outlet?

In looking under my 87, I have a supply and return line from the switching valve all the way to the throttle body. It's hard lines along the frame to 90 deg bends at the bellhousing, where they turn up and towards the engine, and then connect to braided stainless lines up the back pass side of the engine and to the TB. It seems to me that it would be easier to cut and flare the hard lines, and run -AN tube nuts to braided stainless up to the fuel rails. That way, I reuse almost all of my original fuel system (except the hi pressure switching valve and in tank pumps).

If I'm mistaken on the truck style fuel rails, please correct me. If not, can someone tell me how I could keep the return style system.

Thanks,
Travis
I believe the first year of the "return-less" systems were 2004. So, a fuel rail from a 1999-2003 will have 2 ports on it: one feed and one return, and the regulator will be on the rail. After 2004, the regulator was relocated to the tank, and the fuel rails only have one line on it, a feed line. So the 04 and up engines/fuel rails need the Vette F/R.

If you want to use the OE fuel lines from the TBI setup, get whichever engine you want, but get the fuel rails from a 99-03 engine.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #54
buckshot305

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
I believe the first year of the "return-less" systems were 2004. So, a fuel rail from a 1999-2003 will have 2 ports on it: one feed and one return, and the regulator will be on the rail. After 2004, the regulator was relocated to the tank, and the fuel rails only have one line on it, a feed line. So the 04 and up engines/fuel rails need the Vette F/R.

If you want to use the OE fuel lines from the TBI setup, get whichever engine you want, but get the fuel rails from a 99-03 engine.
Thanks Bob, I knew you'd have an answer for me. In your opinion, is there any advantages/disadvantages to going one route or the other?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:55 PM   #55
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Using the return-less is cheaper if you don't already have sufficient line running to the engine (like a TBI setup). Since, like you, there is already 2 lines running there and back, the older rails work just fine.

Trucks like ours that already had TBI are at an advantage $$ wise because of this. Besides the lines, we already had the correct sending units, gas tanks with the baffle/bowl, the switching valve is a direct R&R, and the dash switch doesn't need replaced. So unless it is an 87 pickup, or an 88-91 burb/blazer/CC or dually, it would be simpler for everyone else to find an 04 and newer and use the Vette F/R.

** Edit - Just to clarify..... the PO of my truck (an 85) swapped in a TBI from an 87, complete with ALL the wiring from the 87 donor too.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 04-21-2010 at 11:58 PM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 AM   #56
buckshot305

Very good info, thanks again Bob!

Travis
Old 04-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #57
buckshot305

Well, I've got some bad news to report. I'm gonna have to call off the project for a while. I've decided that my truck money would be better spent on a diamond ring for the gf. I told her I would get her a ring if she got me a LQ9, but she didn't go for it. I guess my timing was bad, but I can't justify going into debt right now, not to mention that I should be saving for a wedding and a house. Hopefully I can pick back up where I left off when the timing is better.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #58
79gmc5.3
6.0L power.........

Quote:
Well, I've got some bad news to report. I'm gonna have to call off the project for a while. I've decided that my truck money would be better spent on a diamond ring for the gf. I told her I would get her a ring if she got me a LQ9, but she didn't go for it. I guess my timing was bad, but I can't justify going into debt right now, not to mention that I should be saving for a wedding and a house. Hopefully I can pick back up where I left off when the timing is better.
Congrats! Don't worry about the truck, it will work out.
1995 Mustang GT 347
79gmc5.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #59
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

I've spent more money to get divorced then for my actual wedding. And it was a huge all day extravaganza. Good luck man! Marriage is kinda like building a truck in the sense that something always needs to be worked on.
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 PM   #60
87 chevy silverado
Account Suspended

both are really nice trucks
87 chevy silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #61
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Thanks! I didn't know if there was a way to salvage these or not. I'll have the shop check them out, but I may end up getting new axles. I couldn't get a good close up of the damage, but it is badly pitted and the grooves look too deep for emery cloth to polish out.

I also spent 20 minutes cleaning up the yoke that came on my new axle, just to find that one of the tabs that keeps the u-joint caps from walking out was broken off. I know from experience that those tabs are there for a reason! I also know that several layers of duct tape around the u-joint works just as well as those tabs! But this isn't that kind of project, so I will be getting a new yoke. It looks like I paid $50 for nothing but a housing.
You don't need duct tape for that; I saw a Bud Light can in one of your pictures. We always used beer cans for that.

Looks like you have a pretty nice truck. It will still be there when you are ready, and you can drive it like it is. The brighter side is that you are not making a payment on your HD.