The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
61hawk

Tesla Engine Swap - Who's First?

I didn't see a discussion on this.

Scrap the Small-Block V-8 Swap and Sub in This Literal Tesla Crate Motor
61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #2
61hawk

Re: Tesla Engine Swap - Who's First?

Electric LS SWAP Crate motors & 450hp EV Chevrolet C10 E10 truck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0nYSRgWRkg

CyberBeast Motor Explained (like the part about adding additional battery packs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sFeSgQ3Q54

I'm thinking that we're at the not if, but when stage of this.

Last edited by 61hawk; 02-21-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
Warrens69GMC

"approximately 533 hp with over 800 [lb-ft] of torque at the yolk."

Can't even spell yoke .....
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #4
bigmoe

Interesting that the E10 has optional sounds you hear as it drives by, one being a powerful v8, another sounding like a Jetson's car.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

Are you kidding? I wont even do an LS.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #6
REDROCKER652002

I think it is pretty bad a$$, but no room in the bed for anything. If I had disposable cash, i would do it.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #7
kipps

Think of the ratio of current junkyard LS swaps to crate motor LS swaps. True hotrodding and modernizing has always thrived on the junkyard parts, and the hobby still reflects this.

Electric swaps won't become mainstream until they can be done with junkyard parts. There will be a few of the expensive crate motor EV swaps, but the junkyard sources have to be there before it outcompetes the LS options.

I'm confident the day is coming though. The goal all along with most engine swaps, has not been more power, but better and more modern driveability. With changes coming in the relative fuel cost between gasoline and electric, the EV swaps will be necessary to bring a classic up to modern driveability standards.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #8
MT65

Well I have learned this site is most definitely edited, two posts are missing.....
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #9
LS short box

I think if there is a way a hot rodder will find a way to build something cool. Would I build an EV no. I like LS engines. People should build and or buy whatever suits them and it should not be mandated by big brother.
I think EV's have their place for some folks. Some day they will figure out the range/battery issues. The biggest problem with current EV's is range and charging time. Today I can hop in my truck and drive 800 miles in a day with a few gas stops. Can't do that with the current EV's.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:39 PM   #10
61hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I think if there is a way a hot rodder will find a way to build something cool. Would I build an EV no. I like LS engines. People should build and or buy whatever suits them and it should not be mandated by big brother.
I think EV's have their place for some folks. Some day they will figure out the range/battery issues. The biggest problem with current EV's is range and charging time. Today I can hop in my truck and drive 800 miles in a day with a few gas stops. Can't do that with the current EV's.
I agree, my neighbor just put in an order for the new Volvo all electric car, I'm going to be interested to see how much it increases their power bill each month. But how often do does one travel more than 200 miles in a day. It will be a while before these vehicles do the Hot Rod Power Tour. I think there will always be internal combustion engines on the road, but it's already becoming common to see pure electric cars compared to just a couple years ago. There are now two Tesla's in my parking lot at work, and that's only maybe 60 parking spots.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #11
mattfranklin

Fun, but the "Rich Rebuilds" YouTube channel is putting an LS into a Tesla. All good, but for different reasons. I love the variety and creativity.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #12
mattfranklin

I watch the industry. And I'm a hot rodder. I think this is the right point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Think of the ratio of current junkyard LS swaps to crate motor LS swaps. True hotrodding and modernizing has always thrived on the junkyard parts, and the hobby still reflects this.

Electric swaps won't become mainstream until they can be done with junkyard parts. There will be a few of the expensive crate motor EV swaps, but the junkyard sources have to be there before it outcompetes the LS options.

I'm confident the day is coming though. The goal all along with most engine swaps, has not been more power, but better and more modern driveability. With changes coming in the relative fuel cost between gasoline and electric, the EV swaps will be necessary to bring a classic up to modern driveability standards.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:23 AM   #13
PDW HOTRODS

I'm waiting for the Mr fusion and hover conversion, then I'm in.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #14
Tom
driving is in my blood

Never for me.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #15
AcampoDave

I'm into this hobby for the old school stuff. I love messing around with old engines, manual transmissions and etc way too much to move into the newer technology. I just get a ton of satisfaction from a 50 + year old drivetrain working perfectly as it motors along a scenic highway. When I want (or can afford) to roll a Tesla motor, I'll just get the whole vehicle to go along with it.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #16
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I'm into this hobby for the old school stuff. I love messing around with old engines, manual transmissions and etc way too much to move into the newer technology. I just get a ton of satisfaction from a 50 + year old drivetrain working perfectly as it motors along a scenic highway. When I want (or can afford) to roll a Tesla motor, I'll just get the whole vehicle to go along with it.
I'm the opposite. I want the old-school look and feel of a squarebody truck, but with the dependability and driveability of a modern drivetrain. As a bonus, since I'm installing that drivetrain myself, I'll have a very intimate understanding of how to troubleshoot and fix anything that crops up. I enjoy tinkering with computers and programming, so I'm confident that tuning this beast will be right down my alley. At least more so than adjusting carburetors.

So to me, the switch from LS swaps to EV swaps won't be the end of the hobby. I'm sure I'll enjoy the challenges and perks of installing an electric motor. Yes, I will miss the engine growl and the perfectly timed 2nd to 3rd shifts, but I'll get used to even that in time.

I would not buy the entire Tesla by choice. I'd rather have a vehicle that I've built, and that I know through and through. I also enjoy having a truck that turns a few heads because it looks out of place on the roads today.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote