The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
RussWheeler

66 c60 bit off more than I can chew?

I recently purchased a 66 c60. Just cab and chassis, all original 292 i6 4 speed with 2 speed rear. It runs but not great and needs some brake work, (not sure where it's leaking from yet). Biggest problem is wheels and tires. Once I buy them I'm commited to this thing because they aren't cheap. Other option would be to swap axles from a later truck, has anyone done this on here? Or is it easier to swap entire drivetrain? Not sure if that would hurt the value of the truck.i have pics but new here don't know to upload from my phone.
RussWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
RussWheeler

Re: 66 c60 bit off more than I can chew?

Here is pic
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
C10 - C90 Bill

I would go with original type replacement wheels. There must be some reasonable way to keep the cost down on them.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
RussWheeler

New wheels are 225 a piece, times 6 then rubber, looking at a couple grand. Not sure if the truck is worth that much. Unless they made one piece wheels with the 10x8.75 bolt pattern later on? Maybe in the 80s? I don't know anything about big trucks, when did they stop making two piece wheels? There was a helpful thread on here and the guy had a beautiful red c60 but he wound up buying the new wheels and Goodyear recaps, not sure what the cost was.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
5Tractorguy

I would hate to see yet another old heavy hauler get the fame swap/axle swap treatment.... if possible, keep it together.

As an idea if you can't find new wheels.....

We had an 80's Pasquali tractor back in the early-mid 2000's. The larger flotation tire rims we got with it had either the wrong bolt hole pattern or worn bolt holes (forgot which). To fix it, we had steel discs machined with the correct pattern. We then brought them to a good welder and he cut the centers out of the old rims and welded in the new centers. Held up great for years, those tractors had a ton of torque...

So even if you may be able to find the correct size non-split rims with the wrong centers, they can be redone to make them fit.

5Tractorguy on Youtube
5Tractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #6
Free Candy Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussWheeler View Post
New wheels are 225 a piece, times 6 then rubber, looking at a couple grand. Not sure if the truck is worth that much. Unless they made one piece wheels with the 10x8.75 bolt pattern later on? Maybe in the 80s? I don't know anything about big trucks, when did they stop making two piece wheels? There was a helpful thread on here and the guy had a beautiful red c60 but he wound up buying the new wheels and Goodyear recaps, not sure what the cost was.
I’m all the way in Ohio but I have a full set of new wheels and tires I want to get rid of. I have them online with all the new brake components for $350. I swapped my cab over onto a C30 frame and don’t need the old stuff anymore. The previous owner had replaced everything with new stuff. My number is 937-789-0443

Instagram: jaked937
Free Candy Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
zongora

Alternatively, you could get a set of wheel adapters and switch to a normal 10 lug semi rim. Those are a lot easier to work with. There are a lot of companies that build custom wheel adapters.
zongora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

I had a 1964 16 foot bobtail newer 350 and 4 speed.One thing i hate the most on these trucks is No able to stop them.Plus with disc brake up grade with power steering its life changing in Value.Just by putting disc brakes in and power steering.It can be sold For big money.

I have a friend that's kinda well off.Done some wacky conversions.Some not so hot.

But about 3-6 years ago Some one at one of the Mills in Ohio had a 1966 20 foot box truck and a 1964 3 ton 20 footer bobtail.Well the guy was kinda being loud about wanting to get rid of the 2 trucks and buy a Internal with auto.So Gary walked up sight unseen told the guy he buy both of his trucks.

Now Gary and his family have some land in 5 different states In the rust belt..But the trucks where in New Mexico and has 2 low boys go pick them up one had the 283 4 spprd the other had a newer rebuilt 366 tall deck engine.

When they showed up he was not home buy his bother was.His bother is the accountant In his own business.He just shook his head and he be litter his younger bother for 2 hours over the phone.

But he got home and loved the shape and style of the trucks.He spent tons of money on one of them new front ends with air ride New fuel injected with a 9 speed auto first gear is a clutch type witch i still don't understand that.When explained to me 6 different ways.

But he did that to the box truck he left the other one kinda plain but up graded it with new front end with power steering and disc and power Hydro boost But ran the factory 366 4 speed with the 2 speed rear end but he still thinking of putting in a hydrolic clutch in.

He drove the Box truck out here from AZ and its the Green with alum color box he put in really nice wood in the bed he has racks in there.He come out to the swap meets and buys old parts for his buddy's like driving across the 6 states.

One thing he's not fond of is the weight stations.But the cops likes inspecting his rig.But now days he' gets a wave throw.

Last edited by stsalvage; 07-29-2018 at 10:15 AM.
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote