The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #26
swamp rat

Re: Portable sand blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGglaSS View Post
Nothing wrong with a Quincy. Do not get 3 phase. You can not run it with what you have. You would have to use a phase converter ($$$) which is generally not a good idea with a compressor. If you look for a used compressor, Saylor-Beale, Champion, Quincy, Ingersol, or Kellogg are good choices. The problem with used compressors is that the tank may be rusted out, and they are too expensive to replace.
Thanks for the other brands I'll check them all out.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:46 AM   #27
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
I dont know why everyone bashes the hf pressure pots. i've used and abused mine relentlessly. I've blasted 75% of my cab with it and dang near everything else that dont fit in my cabinet.

the valves that come on the blasters are junk and wear out quickly replace them with a quality valves and tune them correctly. I get about 20-25 min of blasting outa my 80# tank.

I used this pot with a loud as h*ll 33 gal oilless crapsman compessure and it works but not the most ideal setup.i did this for a good while and after i got the bigger commpesser i replaced the ring on the piston on the oilless it ran much better after that and now has been put too use in my basement wood shop.

a pot blaster is a pretty basic tool i cant see a eastwood is that much better than a hf but i've never had a eastwood so.... they look identical except the color
They probably bash them because the poor valve and nozzles i guess.

Where do you get your nozzles at?

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #28
swamp rat

I'm still looking for an electrician....

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #29
swamp rat

Hey guys i need some more advice, i have been looking at vertical 80 gallon compressors, the ones that are available locally as well as others places that offer free shipping via truck with a lift gate but the driver is not required to have to help unload it off the gate..

So let say you were to order one and have it delivered, they drop it to the foot of the driveway, your by yourself with none of your buddy's are avalible because they are at work, how would you get it moved up the driveway and into the garage?

Edit: Also if i was able to go pick one up and bring it home is it ok to lay it on its side for transport? I have no idea if they are transported upright or on the side, pallet or crate..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-27-2014, 05:06 AM   #30
tinydb84

You can take the pump off the top and use a dolly to move it.

I would move it upright otherwise it could spill out all the oil.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:04 AM   #31
midniteblues

i get my tips at tractor supply.

the a/c usually come bolted to a skid/pallet i used a heavy duty hand truck with a load binder too move mine. once in the garage it was easy too "walk it around".
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #32
Marty68

I am not an electrician, but I do a lot of electrical work, at work under an electrician. you can get "double 120" breakers that serve two circuits from one slot . if you get 2 of those and move circuits around you can free up 2 slots for a 220 breaker. or you could put compressor on same circuit as welder. using wire sized for the breaker. the breaker protects the wire not the appliance. nothing says you cant run a 20 amp load on a 30 amp circuit. but you cant run a 30 amp load on a 20 amp circuit. then keep in mind you cant run welder and compressor at the same time.
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:44 AM   #33
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty68 View Post
I am not an electrician, but I do a lot of electrical work, at work under an electrician. you can get "double 120" breakers that serve two circuits from one slot . if you get 2 of those and move circuits around you can free up 2 slots for a 220 breaker. or you could put compressor on same circuit as welder. using wire sized for the breaker. the breaker protects the wire not the appliance. nothing says you cant run a 20 amp load on a 30 amp circuit. but you cant run a 30 amp load on a 20 amp circuit. then keep in mind you cant run welder and compressor at the same time.
Thanks Marty68! if you can answer a question, some of the compressors require a 40 or 60 amp breaker, can a house service be wired to use a 60 amp breaker or is that pushing the amp load at the house too far?

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-29-2014, 04:45 AM   #34
swamp rat

No answers from my emails to any electrical place so I'll have to start calling soon, didn't wanna mess with that today.

Black Friday, we didn't wanna get all intertwined with the masses but i did decide to check out the new Tractor Supply store close by to see if they had the 80 Gallon Ingersol in stock, they had 3 of them on the floor, i wanted to see in person how heavy they felt on the pallet, i feel confidant i could rent a heavy duty lift truck with the tilt out wheels and move it by myself if nessasary

http://www.buncerental.com/equipment...6&key=235-1270

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...pressor-80-gal

The Ingersol is not my first choice but the price it sure tempting but i want a lifetime purchase, not sure this one will last, it states consumer grade.

I have been looking at this Quincy at Compressors direct for $1999.99 but the same one is available at Lowes for $1987, i'd have to pay tax but if i got the extended protection plan at least i'd be dealing locally.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...ssor/p856.html

http://www.lowes.com/pd_470447-56469...y%20Compressor

Here's the Compressors direct webpage showing the 5hp 2 stage 80 gal compressors, kinda hard to decide... I think i like the Quincy and Belair about the same, but just not sure about the Campbell Hausfeld, if you scroll back you'll find a Jenny, FS-Curtis and EMAX

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...tts=9&lrqshp=4

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p3798.html

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p3832.html

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p9748.html

One last one i was looking at is the Eaton by Polar Air.
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...47/9379899.htm

Too many choices, i want narrow and taller to take up less floor space, prefer a long life cast iron pump. I also have to call a couple of the MFGR's and find out the required breaker so i can consult with an electrician, i have no idea what the amperage limit is on a house breaker. I have been saving for this purchase for a year now, ready to take the plunge but want to be sure that my house electric service can handle it so i don't order and have delivered a bad choice.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #35
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
I dont know why everyone bashes the hf pressure pots. i've used and abused mine relentlessly. I've blasted 75% of my cab with it and dang near everything else that dont fit in my cabinet.

the valves that come on the blasters are junk and wear out quickly replace them with a quality valves and tune them correctly. I get about 20-25 min of blasting outa my 80# tank.

I used this pot with a loud as h*ll 33 gal oilless crapsman compessure and it works but not the most ideal setup.i did this for a good while and after i got the bigger commpesser i replaced the ring on the piston on the oilless it ran much better after that and now has been put too use in my basement wood shop.

a pot blaster is a pretty basic tool i cant see a eastwood is that much better than a hf but i've never had a eastwood so.... they look identical except the color
Are you saying that you replaced the ball valves on your HF blaster and it worked better ? Mine has been nothing but trouble since I bought it new. Explain how you "tuned it" & what blasting media you use. Thanks !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:20 PM   #36
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bowtiestepper View Post
Are you saying that you replaced the ball valves on your HF blaster and it worked better ? Mine has been nothing but trouble since I bought it new. Explain how you "tuned it" & what blasting media you use. Thanks !

I use crushed glass I get it local from the same place that supplies eastwood with some of there media of couse since i'm getting it at the mfg plant i get no "eastwood mark up".

the company was recently bought out and changed names again and i cant think of the name now. it used too be call l.v.h ind.

I didnt used too have too strain/filter new bags of media to get bigger chunks out but since the change over there quality control went down hill or the last 10 bags i got were "made on a fri or mon".

the valve on the bottom of the tank regulates how much media is put out the tip.
you can open that valve all the way and empty your media out in five min. in a useless weak dust storm.
or you can close that bottom valve a lil' at a time to get the right mix of expelled media and make the tank full last a good while while haveing great cutting action.
of course doing this will erode the ball valve eventually but a quailty valve lasts a great while longer than the crappy oe hf one.
the valve/valves that came on my hf pressure pot were made of some cheap metal that eroded quickly makeing them useless.

allways strain your media its worth the effort it only takes one chunk bigger than all the rest too clog up somewhere. most times it can be a pita to unclog the unit.
I use a doubled up window screen and buckets/totes to filter/sift the media.

of course dry air is VERY important.

when i first got my pot there was definitly some foul language and a learning curve to go with it.

I picked up a extra pot at a yard sale over the summer for $5 cause they couldnt get it too work right.I found nothing wrong with it besides it had play sand with small stones in it.... that went into the kids sandbox
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #37
5150scott

Hey Swamp - I'm not an electrician by trade but have done plenty in my day. You have room to move the two breakers in the lower right-hand corner of your panel over to the left-hand side provided that you get new wafer breakers. A true 5hp motor will draw 22 amps so a 30 amp breaker is all you will need. They are rated to break at close to 80% of rating so 80% of 30 amps is 24 amps so you will be fine.

The Quincy is a darn good compressor. But my neighbor bought the 80 gal IR at Tractor Supply for $1000 and he is very happy with it. It really depends on what you intend to do with it. I just bought a Champion which is very similar to the Quincy and it does great for me. Buy as much compressor as you can afford but the IR is a good unit for the price.

As far as moving it, they are very top heavy but very manageable to walk up the driveway. They are attached to wooden skids and you most likely will not remove them when you place your unit. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
5150scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:12 AM   #38
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150scott View Post
Hey Swamp - I'm not an electrician by trade but have done plenty in my day. You have room to move the two breakers in the lower right-hand corner of your panel over to the left-hand side provided that you get new wafer breakers. A true 5hp motor will draw 22 amps so a 30 amp breaker is all you will need. They are rated to break at close to 80% of rating so 80% of 30 amps is 24 amps so you will be fine.

The Quincy is a darn good compressor. But my neighbor bought the 80 gal IR at Tractor Supply for $1000 and he is very happy with it. It really depends on what you intend to do with it. I just bought a Champion which is very similar to the Quincy and it does great for me. Buy as much compressor as you can afford but the IR is a good unit for the price.

As far as moving it, they are very top heavy but very manageable to walk up the driveway. They are attached to wooden skids and you most likely will not remove them when you place your unit. Hope this helps.

Good Luck
I appreciate your reply, i have a question, on the Tractor supply IR compressor it says a 60 amp is required but it has a full load running amps of 22.5, is this just the draw for the electric motor to start turning?

One thing i'm not sure i like is the rated pump life of the IR, also figure its probably got a cheap electrical motor made in China too. Its also got a wide tank and i prefer a narrower and taller unit. But the fact its 1/2 the price of the Quincy and its in stock down town makes it tempting. I really hate the idea of it being on a freight truck and not knowing exactly when it would be delivered.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #39
5150scott

Although this is a CYA society, I wouldn't think that motor could possibly make that kind of pull when it fires up but anything is possible. 60 amp is way overkill and I suspect someone who does not know better made this requirement. I would think that a 30 amp is fine. That is what mine is on. The thing is, if for some reason you trip the 30 amp breaker you could replace it with a 40 amp breaker. Now before I get flamed about code etc, I realize that a 10 gauge wire is not "code" for a 40 amp breaker, but you must understand that you will only be pulling a higher load for a millisecond and will be running at a constant load of 22 amps. My breaker is 75' from the plug it services.

If you wanted to sleep well at night you could upgrade your wire to 8 gauge and go with a 40 amp service. I cannot imagine needing more.

Good Luck
Old 11-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #40
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150scott View Post
Although this is a CYA society, I wouldn't think that motor could possibly make that kind of pull when it fires up but anything is possible. 60 amp is way overkill and I suspect someone who does not know better made this requirement. I would think that a 30 amp is fine. That is what mine is on. The thing is, if for some reason you trip the 30 amp breaker you could replace it with a 40 amp breaker. Now before I get flamed about code etc, I realize that a 10 gauge wire is not "code" for a 40 amp breaker, but you must understand that you will only be pulling a higher load for a millisecond and will be running at a constant load of 22 amps. My breaker is 75' from the plug it services.

If you wanted to sleep well at night you could upgrade your wire to 8 gauge and go with a 40 amp service. I cannot imagine needing more.

Good Luck
Thanks for the reply 5150scott.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #41
72bowtiestepper

Quote:
I use crushed glass I get it local from the same place that supplies eastwood with some of there media of couse since i'm getting it at the mfg plant i get no "eastwood mark up".

the company was recently bought out and changed names again and i cant think of the name now. it used too be call l.v.h ind.

I didnt used too have too strain/filter new bags of media to get bigger chunks out but since the change over there quality control went down hill or the last 10 bags i got were "made on a fri or mon".

the valve on the bottom of the tank regulates how much media is put out the tip.
you can open that valve all the way and empty your media out in five min. in a useless weak dust storm.
or you can close that bottom valve a lil' at a time to get the right mix of expelled media and make the tank full last a good while while haveing great cutting action.
of course doing this will erode the ball valve eventually but a quailty valve lasts a great while longer than the crappy oe hf one.
the valve/valves that came on my hf pressure pot were made of some cheap metal that eroded quickly makeing them useless.

allways strain your media its worth the effort it only takes one chunk bigger than all the rest too clog up somewhere. most times it can be a pita to unclog the unit.
I use a doubled up window screen and buckets/totes to filter/sift the media.

of course dry air is VERY important.

when i first got my pot there was definitly some foul language and a learning curve to go with it.

I picked up a extra pot at a yard sale over the summer for $5 cause they couldnt get it too work right.I found nothing wrong with it besides it had play sand with small stones in it.... that went into the kids sandbox
Thanks a bunch for your suggestions...I will try them...the HF blaster didn't come with any instructions (not surprised !) so I will try straining the blasting media & adjusting the bottom valve. I could not get it to work for more than 1 min. before clogging up...you are right...a BIG pita !
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #42
swissarmychainsaw

I bought the Harbor Freight Spot Blaster for something like $50 or less.

It worked fine for what I needed it for, but beware, it's a POS.

The rubber hose rotted off it after a couple of months. Get a better one, say from Eastwood. OR if you are like me and just want to try it the HF is so cheap, who cares?

More important though is what kind of media you use.

Then again I have read a LOT here that says "Don't Blast Body Panels!".
It will warp them. YMMV.
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #43
swamp rat

First i want to thank everybody for the advice, All the compressors i wanted required truck freight to be delivered, that left me holding the bag of getting the thing up my driveway and into the garage by myself, the only exception was Lowe's. I ended up buying the Quincy 80 gal compressor thru Lowe's and had it delivered the 23rd, they backed up my driveway and moved it right into my garage for me with their pallet jack. I could have gotten away with the 60 gal but decided for the extra $300 it was worth it to step up. Overkill? maybe, but the last compressor i'll ever need requirement wise, everything on it is made in America so hopefully it will last forever.

The electrician i hired was awesome and super fair on his price to move the circuits around in the box then add the breaker for the compressor, then mounted a hard wired junction box a couple studs over and ran the flex conduit and wires, then came out and wired up the compressor the day after Christmas.

I should add that while it does make some noise its way pleasant on the ears compared to my Craftsman 33 gal unit. I had to cut my 2 shelves to clear some hight but it almost fits in the same footprint as the old one. The wife said it looks like Robbie the robot.. EDIT the pic is before the electrical was hooked up and before i added a thick reinforced rubber mat underneath.

I also bought 2 different blasters from Eastwood, in time i'll see how they work out.

http://www.eastwood.com/blast-out-of...html?reltype=3

http://www.eastwood.com/speed-blast-...d-blaster.html
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 12-30-2014, 01:38 AM   #44
Marty68

you wont regret that purchace.
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #45
5150scott

Quincy's are excellent compressors. Prior to buying the Champion compressor I now own, I melted my sears craftsman compressor pump (aluminum) while blowing out the sprinklers. The big cast iron pump on the new one didn't even get hot to the touch. It will definitely last you a lifetime.

Good Luck
Old 12-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #46
midniteblues

sweet commpressor in ten years you will not regret that puchase.

I couldnt give up my 33 gal crapsman it served me well the years i abused it. and since it is portable and 110 it still gets used in/around the house. it is a noisy bugger though.