The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texjake View Post
I got both of my arm rests' & all 4 escutcheons' installed today. I found out the hard way today to install those escutcheons' is to pull the door panels completely off and use about 2 tons of brute thumb force to snap those dang things in! lol Sometimes the smallest things can be the hardest things to replace or repair.
Nate's right.

Like any tools, if there's a good and a "better" one, get the "better" one.

I use a small chunk of dish towel wrapped around the shaft (all bad jokes aside) with some success.
Some are easier to get than others. But having extra wire "pins" is a good idea.

I'll risk this observation: When you put 'em back on, you snap the wire on the groove in the handle
and when you're ready, whack it into place....But you got that already, right?
But always a rat.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
Mike_The_Grad

So my brake job was delayed a while due to conflicting schedules but finally got "mostly" clean brake fluid coming through lines, after siphoning out most of the old fluid with a turkey baster. Figured if I'm at the reservoir might as well make it look good. New vacuum line and vacuum check valve.also a fresh coat of paint. Since I was under the truck flushing brake fluid, might as well do the diff. Would not have been to long of a job except for a mix up at the parts counter. Received a diff gasket for a car 12-bolt rear end instead of the truck. #lostintranslation. Also shot the cover with sum paint.test fitted the new chrome eldlebrock air cleaner to have an idea what it will eventually look like. Engine and trans power wash and paint next...
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 AM   #3
texjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Nate's right.

Like any tools, if there's a good and a "better" one, get the "better" one.

I use a small chunk of dish towel wrapped around the shaft (all bad jokes aside) with some success.
Some are easier to get than others. But having extra wire "pins" is a good idea.

I'll risk this observation: When you put 'em back on, you snap the wire on the groove in the handle
and when you're ready, whack it into place....But you got that already, right?
I got that part down. I got a piece of stainless wire bent at the right angles where I can snag the clip & pull those off, that's the easy part. I've been messing with those ol' window crank clips for over 35 years. I was talking about installing the 4 escutcheons', those are a tad bit pesky to install. It's what some of the trucks came with on the doors. Not the thin flat plastic/nylon washer escutcheons that were used on padded door panels between the window cranks/door handles & the door panel. Mine had the thicker escutcheons'. See pic.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2014, 01:49 AM   #4
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Glad you used those , most are too lazy to care .

They're easy to install : hold them in place , and bang the handle on with the palm of your other hand .

I replaced these on my C/10 just because they were gone missing and I hate the drafts & rattles they prevent .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Closed Thread