The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #126
c1971

Re: My 1950 dog hauling, trailer towing, daily driver Suburban

I like the work you have done to your Suburban. Would you mind sharing what you have done, suspension, engine, trans, etc. I read 250 engine, 700r4, 69 1/2 ton rear, what about the front? Are you running disc brakes, power booster, ect? The reason I am asking is that I have a 1951 3100 pickup. The truck is stock, I would like to modernize without being intrusive with stuff that I feel just does not belong,(s10, camero, mustang II). My truck is in good road worthy condition not needing a restoration. Thank you for your time and hope to hear back from you.
c1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #127
NEWFISHER

Thanks for the inquiry. I followed the model K.I.s.s. keeping it simple. Droppedaxles.com for the front. I purchased everything Sid sells,modifys and recommends. Follow the videos at 12bolt.com for the internal mods on the 250. I had found a built one that was never run and jumped on it. I'm runing stoveboltengines.com cast heAders and a heated clifford intake with a Holley 390. Running 11mm live wires and GM HEI. Great torque, power and mpg's in front of a 700r4 using TCI 4th gear lock up kit , a 4 door 4x4 sblazer driveshaft and a 67-69 6 lug 3:73 rear end. All drum brakes, single coffin can under the floor. I keep the shoes adjusted, have a dual master and bracket laying around, but like the feel the stock system gives with manual steering and the bouncy spring seat. Its a carnival ride and makes me smile when I drive it(most every day) in fact, other than recently driving and building a 65 for my wife, I have clocked 26,000 on the burb since last December when each drivetrain system consumed each December weekend, driving it weekly and tearing it down on the weekends. Good luck with your build and although I'm building a powersteering, v8, 700r4, air bagged 4 wheel disc truck and have been driving it a lot lately, I really do like the burb better. The steering, suspension, brakes, inline etc keeps a 50s deminsion to it beyond the visual style.

Last edited by NEWFISHER; 12-10-2013 at 02:18 AM.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #128
1project2many

Any thoughts to installing EFI? A throttle body system would complement that engine fairly well.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #129
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
Any thoughts to installing EFI? A throttle body system would complement that engine fairly well.
Coming out the rock crawler world, I am fairly familiar and comfortable with Holley Projection and picked up a kit 2 years ago that I have been thinking of tossing on the burb. It gets great fuel milage now, starts up cold choke works god and I like the sound,feel and zmell of the Holley. Still on the fence. Glad you asked, mabey it will be my next project?!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #130
Troy Sr

[QUOTE=NEWFISHER;5734758]

I've seen this car before, are/were you on Trifive.com as well?
Troy Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:01 AM   #131
1project2many

Quote:
Still on the fence. Glad you asked, mabey it will be my next project?!
A well executed efi retrofit usually pays off in reliability and driveability. If you wanted to go all GM that probably wouldn't be too hard to accomplish, either.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #132
NEWFISHER

[quote=Troy Sr;6412444]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post

I've seen this car before, are/were you on Trifive.com as well?
Yes, good spot. That was a quick build and a great car that I have always wanted and one I wanted to keep. After finishing the interior ($6500 and super light colors including white pleating and cameo truck light tan cloth) we realized our 90 lb hound dogs would tear it up quick. I started looking for a 47-54 AD truck to toss them in the back when I stumbled on a "suburban in a box" abandoned rebuild. Serveral truck loads and car trailer, 800 miles and a trade of the 55 we were vinyl seat suburban owners and the dogs couldn't be happier. We also have a better piece of mind being able to leave the windows open and shut the doors to secure the dogs from jumping out while moving or parked.

I kept the 46 Kit teardrop untl my wife said " it looks like the burb is having a shiney baby" so we upgraded to a 1960 Avion 20' and upgraded the burb to pull it. 19 weekends in a row last summer. Too much fun and good times with my wife, 2 dogs a vintage truck and trailer. I haven't ridden my Harley for 2 years!
Old 12-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #133
NEWFISHER

Quote:
A well executed efi retrofit usually pays off in reliability and driveability. If you wanted to go all GM that probably wouldn't be too hard to accomplish, either.
There is a 4.3 system with the better programmable ecu over on the 60-66 forum clAssifieds that I have had my eye on too.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #134
1project2many

Quote:
There is a 4.3 system with the better programmable ecu over on the 60-66 forum clAssifieds that I have had my eye on too.
If it's the one from NJ the pricing looks good. Many people like to clean up or replace injectors but I've had plenty of good experiences without doing that. You'll need to make some changes with the distributor but that can be worked out fairly easily. There are plenty of people around who do custom tuning or you could even get set up to do your own. If you decide to go that route I'd be glad to help.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #135
NEWFISHER

Quote:
If it's the one from NJ the pricing looks good. Many people like to clean up or replace injectors but I've had plenty of good experiences without doing that. You'll need to make some changes with the distributor but that can be worked out fairly easily. There are plenty of people around who do custom tuning or you could even get set up to do your own. If you decide to go that route I'd be glad to help.
Awesome! Thank you.

I am currently running a HEI in the 250, when you say " changes with the distributor" what are you referring to?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #136
1project2many

In order to run computer controlled timing, the mechanical and vacuum advance mechanisms need to be disabled and the four pin ignition module needs to be replaced with a seven pin version from a computer controlled vehicle.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #137
NEWFISHER

Sold my Holley Projection set up and just for simplicity sake, keeping the current set up. It works great and gets good mpg.

I did make a horsepower increase, this year ill be hauling Ass! 1980 Burro hahaha.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #138
mr48chev

Looks good with that Burro hooked on the back.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote