The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
aaronfab

Yukon rear axle install

OK, here is the senario. I have a '70 SWB 1/2T that came with manual drums all around. Stopping was next to impossible. So, first thing I did was install 3/4T lower A-arms, which aloud me to install stock '90 light 3/4T spindles, rotors, and calipers. At this same time I installed a power master cylinder from a '72 3/4T. Then the truck actually stopped pretty good, but I found out that someone installed the rear brakes backwards. They would unadjust themselves, so I drove around on front brakes only, made for good one wheel burnouts. I didn't bother fixing the rear brakes because, I also wanted to get rid of the 2" spacers that were on the rear due too my wheel's offset. SO, I knew I wanted to change out the rear axle. Some of the things I wanted; get rid of those damn spacers, Posi of some sort, disc brakes, six lug and parts availability. About this time, as luck would have it, a friend of mine was removing a bent axle from his '02 Yukon. I snatch it up for $50, after all, it had; limited slip, disc brakes, six lug, and was long enough to get rid of those 2" spacers. With some measuring and figuring we shortened the axle 2"(1" each side), stripped off all the brackets, welded on trailing arm brackets and brake caliper brackets, and installed it in the truck. I used front Yukon rotors on the rear, because I wasn't concerned with a E-brake and the rotors were a lot cheaper. For calipers I used '76 Impala front calipers because the stock car community makes weld on brackets for these as well as the later metric version. During installation I replaced the trailing arm bushings with polyurethane, lengthened the panard bar 10", had to shorten the driveshaft 1" and replaced the U-joint. NOW, hitting the brakes will damn near put you thru the windshield. The back brakes will lock up before the fronts, so I will be installing an adjustable proportioning valve, but you can drive it like it is. I'm waiting for the poly bushings for the panard bar, but after I get those in I will shoot some installed pics. I hope this helps somebody out there. Here is a picture of the axle before installation.

Aaron
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
ChevyDude

Re: Yukon rear axle install

sweet deal! disc's all the way round...nice mod dude! I am sure everyone would like to see installed pics!

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote