The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

What made me buy a 67-72 Chevy Truck

I was just reading a the link about the history of this site, and it got me thinking about what got me started.

I remember sometime in 1996 I saw a Chevy stepside truck cruizin around Daly City, Ca. Other than being lowered, it appeared to be original. I thought "I really like that look and stance." I saw the truck a few more times and told myself that someday I would buy one.

A few years went by and in 2000 my grandmother gave me some money and I decided to use it to buy at truck. I found one in Stockton Ca, that was tubbed. I always and still like the look of a tubbed vehicle that is slammed to the ground.

I searched the web looking for other 67-72 Chevy Trucks to inspire and educate me on which direction to take my build. I stumbled onto www.67-72chevytrucks.com and was hooked. Everyday I read many threads and learned many valuable tips. I saw one truck in the picture section that inspired me. After many slows years and little progress it met a member of the board, Kevin Lewis, who helped my vision come to light.

First picture the truck from this site that inspired me

The second picture is my truck when I first bought it.

The third picture, as you all have seen, my truck now.

Sorry about the picture size, I could not get them any bigger

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks for Josh and Liz, and EVERYONE on this site. I'm looking forward to meeting more members at the November GoodGuys show in Pleasanton Ca. on Sunday.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082

Last edited by jugernot; 11-07-2007 at 10:03 PM.
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: What made me buy a 67-72 Chevy Truck

Made me think too. I have not been here as long as some, but back in early 02 I was at a point in my life where I wanted a project.toy again and was in the fincial (and other) position to go at it again. I was looking originally at a 48-55 model chevy, but but came across my 70 who belonged to the son (who was 70 at the time) of the original owner. I was doing some computer work for him, when he mentioned that he and his son were thinking of letting it go, but just wasn't sure. After some talking and check (and finding this site) I got into the truck and they opted to let me have it.

I am pretty sure his dad is looking down from above and thinks I am a nut for all the things I am doing to his old Mississippi farm truck, but it is my baby now and can't wait to parade her about when my work gets done.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

I have loved these trucks as far back as I can remember, and they have always been my favorite of any brand, any year. I had a '71 C/10 years ago and I sold it when my wife and I bought our house. For a few months I didn't miss it terribly, but the longer I went without it, the more I regretted selling it. I tried for a few yaers to find it with no luck, and finally gave up on it. I have bought several since then, and I love all my trucks, but I would buy that one back today if I could find it. Below is 2 of the only pics I still have of it. I always hated the stripes, but I loved how the white looked, especially on the interior against black upholstery.
Attached Images

'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

Wink Re: What made me buy a 67-72 Chevy Truck

Good thread!! I have always thought these trucks were cool but I never really thought about owning one until I got a job back in the mid 90's working for a little turbo company called Turbonetics. The owners son had a '69 C20 that was sort of our parts truck. It had a 2 inch lift on it, p/s, and power disc brakes. I had to drive it on different trips to our storage unit and I was amazed how great this old truck drove down the rode. I was hooked! I became good friends with the owners son, so I drove and rode in the truck several more times. Now I've owned several myself. The owners son, John, sold that particular truck but he has since purchased a nice lifted '68 K20. Hard to break the ADDICTION!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

What made me buy a stepside was the cool lowered black 72 ? shortstep with big flames all down the side, that you used to see for years in ads in all the hot rod & custom car magazines. One of the parts vendor-suppliers used it in all their ads, usually a fairly-small size photo & down near the bottom of the page.

Anybody got one of those ads they can scan & post ?

Don't remember what company, or what products they made, but that truck always made me say: "Man, I want one of those....."
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #6
DavesRide

Me, I am a 67 model myself. I always admired most of the cars built during the same period as myself and really enjoy them as they get older than that. Kinda like older women. If they look better than their age they are classy. The ones from the 1930's and 1940's just wear too much perfume but I love the cars from that time period.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
chevy one
Chevy One

Cool Re: What made me buy a 67-72 Chevy Truck

I also fell for these trucks many years ago. My father had a 71 CST, ¾ ton, 2WD in 1974, slotted mags and a taunto cover, I was 14 then. The truck did get me in a little trouble as I recall; it called to me, and the joy rides were almost a weekly event when I could get away with it. That 350 was strong, I did put all fours into the air going over a set of tracks once and kept it from rolling “lucky I was”. The D-day had to happen and you know the rest of the story.
The first truck of my own was a 67 C10, 2WD, LWB with a 4 Sp. Old green as I called it. I pick up the truck in 1984 for $500, body fair but that 283 ran like a champ. I keep it running for the next 14+ years. Never once did it let me down. I had started a Resto on it, new rockers and then did the interior and jams. Bright red was going to be the new color, then it was placed on the back burner, you see, I found this thing called a 68 Camaro.
In 97 my life fell after a 19-year marriage, a real D-day!!! My son, who was 16 at the time, ended up driving the truck and got it impounded. My cash flow was next to null at that point and I was never able to retrieve the truck. I came across it a few years back in the bone yard. That old 283 was still under the hood but it had been robed of many other piece parts.
As of 2006 I found another 67 C10, 2WD, LWB, 4Sp Fleet. And once again the body is very good for a 40-year veteran. That little old 283 still purring under the hood, after a good tune, you see I know this one inside and out. We call this one Mello Yellow. It also has the buddy seat. Already hard into the Resto. Doing a 2/3-drop, a fresh 283, 60 over to a 292, vortex heads. Front disk conversion, 100% new brakes, hardware & lines, new clutch? Thinking of going to an 5 speed. Black Cherry for the cool shade “possibly”.
I have a great wife now, at least she tolerate this one classic gearhead. I still have the 68 Camaro but it is on the back burner until the truck is done this time.
This is the best sight going for Classic Chevy’s Trucks. Very helpful gearheads and moderators. I have ask many questions and received good sound advice many times now.
Thanks to all.
03 Monte Carlo
I'M NOT OLD, JUST A CLASSIC!!!
chevy one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
70C10Step

I have been a Ford guy for several years but i have always loved the look of the Chevy trucks. I bought a 1967 F100 a couple months ago but I could not find the parts to make the truck the way I wanted it. I decided to surprise all my Ford friends and buy the truck I always wanted. I found my 70 Stepside in a conversation at work. Two friends where debating on if the guy was asking too much. I had been looking at these trucks on eBay and I knew it was a good deal. We all went to look at the truck, I had called my wife earlier and told her to go to the bank and meet me on location. While my friends kicked tires I looked the owner in the eye asked him his lowest price. While he pondered my wife was counting money. I handed over $3500.00 and my friends both looked at me like I had just robbed a bank. The guy then gave me all the original documentation on the truck and the rest was history. I have owned it for two months now and I have bought about $1500.00 in parts that I plan to install over the Christmas break. I have my two fastback mustangs, my convertible Saleen and now my chevy step side and next will be a a 69 Z28...
1969 C20 3/4 Longbed - Beast!
1966 Mustang Fastback - Daily Fun
1965 Mustang Fastback - Money pit!
70C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
67 cst swb

My story is a bit different and longer...
In 1986, I moved to Texas from South Dakota. I moved to Texas with my Girlfriend at the time. We graduated together same school, same year. So, we moved to the same area to attend school to be close to each other "cause we were going to be together "forever". I moved to Waco to go to Technical School. My Girlfriend moved to Denton to Attend College. One day in Denton while visiting the Girlfriend she was talking about 'when we graduate... when we live together... after we get married... kinda stuff...' It was then she pointed to a Blue '68 Shortbox Stepside 4x4 parked on the side of a residential street and commented "After we get married we could build a truck like that..."
What she saw was a BLUE 4x4 stepside... what I saw was the girl I loved interested in something I already enjoyed "Cars/Trucks". So from that day on, this body style truck (Thank God she didn't point at a import with pink gawdy flames) resembled to me my future with a woman I loved.
Fast forward a couple weeks...
We broke up.
I was seriously in love with that woman, but I don't get heart broken, I move on... (snivel, snivel)
So, being I couldn't have said girl, I could still have the dream or some resemblence of the dream, So, I pictured that Blue '68 Shortbox Stepside 4x4. I thought If I someday build that body style truck she will notice that I followed through on the dream and come running...
We'll nothing happened, there was no running in my direection on her part... although I never did complete the truck or even a Blue 4x4. I didn't even buy my first 67-72 until over 2 years later (Winter 1988) after moving back to South Dakota.
Anyway,... her and I had spoke a few times, but either I was involved with someone or she was, but either way, the dream/truck thing never came up.
So 20+ years later, I'm still building these trucks. Haven't ever completed (finished including paint) a truck. I get close (finished, still in primer) and someone buys it from me. This has happened twice.
Well, lets go forward in the story. It was January 2003, My grandfather had died. A few people at the funeral I hadn't seen since my graduation. A few asked what ever happened to that girl I was dating and moved to Texas with. I said I hadn't spoken with her in a few years and dropped to subject, you know "the love that got away feeling coming through at a grandfathers funeral" kinda thing. Anyway, so, after the funeral, I went home found and charged up the old cell phone that had her old phone number in it. I called to number... someone answered... It was her. We started talking... she was single, I was single. She was thinking about moving back to South Dakota, That's where I was... blah, blah, blah....
Anyway.... So, fast forward... she flys me to Texas to help move her back to South Dakota. Our eyes meet, we fall in love all over again, blah, blah, blah... I try to impress her by asking her if she remembers the '68 blue Shortbox Stepside 4x4 she pointed at in Denton, to point out to her I'm still following through with the dream, in hopes it will get her tears flowing and be moved to fall even deeper in love with me. Her reply was "what truck..." Oh well... She loves me anyway... Stacy and I have been married Since Nov. '03, and I'm still trying to build a 67-72 Chevy truck... But, I'm living a dream of being married to the love of my life, my High School Sweetheart and building the trucks she pointed out to me over 20 years ago.
This current build is a '68 Shortbox 2wd, I'm painting it White. Makes me think I should be painting it Blue, be putting a Stepside box on it and made it a 4x4...
Anyway, So, my Wife is who got me started on these trucks. I bet she regrets it...
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 11-08-2007 at 11:06 PM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #10
johnboyrox

My dad had a 67 Short/Step when I was a kid. It was in grey primer, the bed floor was half rotten, but it had that "just-right" stance and it's 327/4-speed was so strong. Clutches and tires, clutches and tires. Been my favorite ever since.
johnboyrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
1970cstblazer
All stock and staying that way

Wink Re: What made me buy a 67-72 Chevy Truck

I like the looks of these trucks, and they are easy to work on and get parts for.
1970 K/5 Blazer CST 4WD, Bronze, 93k ACT. miles, 350, 4 speed, positraction, 16.5" x 8.25" wheel option, tilt, tach, vacuum, AM/FM, manual throttle...Dad ordered and purchased new 4/70. Currently frame off restoration in progress...

1972 Cheyenne Super 20 2WD, DK Blue/White, 90K ACT. miles, 402, TH400, 4.10 open, tilt, tach, vacuum, A/C, AM/FM, manual throttle.. A mostly original paint never rusted Texas survivor...

2017 Sierra 1500 SLT 4WD, Black, 41k miles, 5.3, 6L80E, 3.42 LS, 20" polished wheels, everything but moonroof and 6.2...

2019 Canyon SLT 4WD, White, 60k miles, 3.6, 8L45, 3.23 LS, 18" wheels
1970cstblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #12
dznucks

"Dazed and Confused" the movie.
In high-school a freind told me to watch that movie because of all the old muscle cars in it. i saw the black truck in the movie and always told myself i have to have that truck.

one day i got my chance when i stumbled across an all original black '69 with 83K original miles. got it from a small town autobroker who swindled it off the original owners widow.

been driving it for 8 years now and we're at 153K. it is my only vehicle and i rely heavily on it. my '69 is a big part of my life.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Because of this truck:

Don't look like much now, but I spent MANY of my younger years helping my grandpappy haul winter firewood with it (my pops even installed a dumping flatbed on it in the late 80's.) We did it all, cut down the trees from an Amish feller's farm, cut it up, hauled it home, split it, and sold what was extra. (The back half of the frame was cut off around 95/96 when the truck got too rusty to pass NY inspections and it was welded onto a 79 F-350.)

Then my uncle brought a 67 he had bought in SC up to NY around '95 and I fell in love with the damn thing and bought it from him a year later. It was white with a green clip at the time, but it was about 95% rust free, RARE for NY even 10 years ago.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 11-09-2007 at 09:14 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote