The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #1201
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

In case any of you don't know it, eventually this truck will become a crew cab. My plan is to get this truck assembled and drive it until I get the crew cab done. I came to this conclusion as I sold my extra Longhorn bed, and can not sell the frame. Plus all my front clip will need repainted due to the fine job my guy did. (Not real happy here) Anyway, here are pics of the burb hull. I do not know what route I'm going yet. Use the burb hull, or use 2 cabs and the burb roof skin and doors. Not quite sure yet. I have 2 cabs, the burb doors, and the burb shell. I should be able to do something.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #1202
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Here's kind of what I'd like the cab to look like. I'm going to keep it a Longhorn and I've been thinking of doing DRW as well. I know it'll be a shool bus to turn, but it'll be hauling our pulling tractor to MO most weekends. I want comfort!
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #1203
RatRod68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Same reason I'm a mechanic. But lately, side work has cost me more head aches than what it's worth it seems.
Strictly a diesel mech or both gas and diesel?

I wish i had the skills to do it on a daily basis like you guys man, i tell ya. it seems like any thing i do takes forever to get accomplished, and by then, the customer is so pissed and tired of waiting, it isn't worth it. My dad and I used to do custom bodywork and painting. We take to long to make any money at it, so we only do it in our spare time, with mainly our vehicles or people close to us.

edit:

Same plans as far as my 1 ton goes. Get the 6bt in and running, and use the truck around town until i finish building, or finding one at a steal of a price, then throwing the cab on the longer frame. What's the wheelbase of the longhorn anyway?
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #1204
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The wheel base on a stock Longhorn is 133". I work on both gas and diesel at work. I typically only work on diesel things in my shop. But we do have gas cars/trucks occasionally. And of course gas hot rods. For now. Haha
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #1205
ryanroo

Quote:
You and me both! I don't know if this truck will be running sooner or later. Winter is sneaking up on me and I need to get the 76 going for my wife but I'm trying to finish the 88 Burb. Oh boy....
ill try and send that steering block sometime.... i suck at remembering.

Quote:
Same reason I'm a mechanic. But lately, side work has cost me more head aches than what it's worth it seems.
same reason i'm a welder (i went to engineering school and mechanic school) this way i have access to the primo fab tools!

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #1206
pickup67man

Quote:
In case any of you don't know it, eventually this truck will become a crew cab. My plan is to get this truck assembled and drive it until I get the crew cab done. I came to this conclusion as I sold my extra Longhorn bed, and can not sell the frame. Plus all my front clip will need repainted due to the fine job my guy did. (Not real happy here) Anyway, here are pics of the burb hull. I do not know what route I'm going yet. Use the burb hull, or use 2 cabs and the burb roof skin and doors. Not quite sure yet. I have 2 cabs, the burb doors, and the burb shell. I should be able to do something.
Wow your sub is more complete than mine was. I didn't have an engine block in my way. Is there much rust on it? I know you are in the rust belt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

2005 K2500 Duramax (hauls the junk home)
1967 Chev C10 (hauls a$$)
1970 Suburban (Yukon XL 4 door)
1968 GMC 3/4 ton (sheetmetal only, chassis gone)
2005 Malibu (wife's car, still a Chevy)

Project Family Hauler

New Home for Chevys (Moved in and working)
pickup67man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #1207
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
ill try and send that steering block sometime.... i suck at remembering.
same reason i'm a welder (i went to engineering school and mechanic school) this way i have access to the primo fab tools!

When ever you can is cool. Thanks again!
I'd like to learn how to weld better than I do. I really want to learn how to tig weld. My Dad got a TIG last fall and I haven't tried it yet. I had a buddy who started messing with it who is a professional welder, but he quit coming around. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickup67man View Post
Wow your sub is more complete than mine was. I didn't have an engine block in my way. Is there much rust on it? I know you are in the rust belt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
The engine doesn't come with it. It's pretty gutted however. There doesn't appear to be rust around the inside of the windshield, but the floor supports and inner/outer rockers are shot. I happen to have a 71 cab with perfect floors and shoddy windshield area on the RH corner. It's an a/c cab and this burb isn't. I'm contemplating cutting the 2 cab s I have and using the burb upper structure and roof as needed. Then I might have a easier shot at the 4th door by using 2 truck doors and modifying the skin. I know Ak'srus did his this way. I won't really know until I get the burb hull home though. It's in Topeka right now.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #1208
pickup67man

Mine had same rust. With the drivers door shut if you dropped a soda can it would fall to the ground. Inner and outer rockers, floor boards, floor supports, lower fender mount, etc. It cost $100 and has clean title. Also have an AC dash in one of my extra cabs.
Posted via Mobile Device

2005 K2500 Duramax (hauls the junk home)
1967 Chev C10 (hauls a$$)
1970 Suburban (Yukon XL 4 door)
1968 GMC 3/4 ton (sheetmetal only, chassis gone)
2005 Malibu (wife's car, still a Chevy)

Project Family Hauler

New Home for Chevys (Moved in and working)
pickup67man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #1209
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Woo Hoo! Glad to see you are building a crew!

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #1210
watahyahknow

ever heared the joke about the mecanic and the heart surgion ?

a heartsurgion is having the engine of his car fixed
the mecanic is talking to the guy while working on the car and asks the doktor : why is it doctors make so mush more money than us mecanics , we basily do the same work repairing the motor that drives the object replacing parts that are worn or tune it so it runs better
the doctor thinks about it for a bit and answers : whe surgans doing the same thing but on a running engine

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #1211
Rodzzilla

You will need rear steer on that thing, Ryan. I know a guy that has some of the parts to do it.
Rodzzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #1212
RatRod68

Quote:
Engineering always facinates me. Anyone can dream up something, its engineering/fabrication of it that really makes it come to life. All of my tools are hand-me-downs Whatever though, they get the job done!

Quote:
I'd like to learn how to weld better than I do.
Couldn't agree more. I am self taught on welding so far. Only thing I really know how to do is mig. Really like to learn how to weld Aluminum. If you guys were closer, I'd be over there asking you all to teach me all the time!

On another note, what engine is in the Corvette?

Semper Fi
Old 10-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #1213
watahyahknow

i would like to learn it too but i think welding aluminium is more how to set up the welder than the welding itself , i think in this case you might get better info out of a book or from the internet
the only thing real difference compared to steel is that you need to work with REALY clean material

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 10-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #1214
ryanroo

Quote:
When ever you can is cool. Thanks again!
I'd like to learn how to weld better than I do. I really want to learn how to tig weld. My Dad got a TIG last fall and I haven't tried it yet. I had a buddy who started messing with it who is a professional welder, but he quit coming around. Go figure.
welders.... all a bunch of sheisters anyhow

TIG is nice. its clean and quiet i do stainless most of the time at work, so depending on the day my clothes are still clean when i get home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
Engineering always facinates me. Anyone can dream up something, its engineering/fabrication of it that really makes it come to life. All of my tools are hand-me-downs Whatever though, they get the job done!

Couldn't agree more. I am self taught on welding so far. Only thing I really know how to do is mig. Really like to learn how to weld Aluminum. If you guys were closer, I'd be over there asking you all to teach me all the time!

On another note, what engine is in the Corvette?
engineering is cool if its practical. one of the reasons i got out of engineering school was the lack of practical application. it was all postulation and theory. drove me nuts. i ended up in Industrial Technology. it was more hands on and suited me better. some of the best engineers ive met have no formal education in the field.

If you guys were closer i'd gladly give out some welding lessons/tips

his vette is a 12v cummins

Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #1215
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
i would like to learn it too but i think welding aluminium is more how to set up the welder than the welding itself , i think in this case you might get better info out of a book or from the internet
the only thing real difference compared to steel is that you need to work with REALY clean material
Steel needs to be clean too. there is a common mistake with welding steel and that is assuming it can be dirty. it is more forgiving than stainless or AL but that doesn't mean you should weld it dirty.

TIG the machine needs to have AC. there is a learning curve with AL. mostly it is patience. AL behaves differently with heat than ferrous metal.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #1216
watahyahknow

from wat i understand the aluminium is going ok and then becomes liquid in a split second , no way on telling if it gets too hot

clearly im do not know how to weld aluminium i did known someone who could weld it with a gasflame

Old 10-31-2012, 03:38 PM   #1217
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I also would like to be able to weld aluminum better. We have a spool gun at work, but don't really have the equipment to clean the AL properly. I send out my aluminum welding right now to a local guy. He can do it faster and it looks nicer than what I can do right now.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 PM   #1218
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Here's kind of what I'd like the cab to look like. I'm going to keep it a Longhorn and I've been thinking of doing DRW as well. I know it'll be a shool bus to turn, but it'll be hauling our pulling tractor to MO most weekends. I want comfort!
Damn that is sweet, it is basically a mega cab, I am digging it. If I do a 72 crew cab that is exactly what I'm doing, although I may be inclined to set it up as a western hauler instead of a regular pickup bed, but that one does look mighty fine.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #1219
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Yes it is! If I was loaded I'd just go find that one and buy it. Haha The more I think about a crew cab, the more I'm thinking mega cab swb, 5.9 compounds, built auto, slammed and 2wd. Show these guys what a real truck is. Haha But I don't roll 2wd.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #1220
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Yes it is! If I was loaded I'd just go find that one and buy it. Haha The more I think about a crew cab, the more I'm thinking mega cab swb, 5.9 compounds, built auto, slammed and 2wd. Show these guys what a real truck is. Haha But I don't roll 2wd.
You know you could also always find a 92-03 3500HD chassis and use that burban to build a mega cab on it. That would be pretty sweet, I have found a couple of the crew cabs around. That would mean no modifications to the frame and it would come with 19.5's stock. Could put an F-450 front axle in it to make it a 4x4.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #1221
copterav8r

Quote:

This is the tach drive that runs off the injection pump retaining nut. It is plastic and screws in where the oil fill tube does in the front cover.

Hey, Ryan can you post the part numbers for the tach drive parts? I found a tach drive but it is for a VE pump. I need the part number for the piece that drives off the injection pump retaining nut on a p-pump.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #1222
RatRod68

Quote:
:
his vette is a 12v cummins
Thats pretty cool. I like the originality of it, and it doesn't look stupid.

Semper Fi
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 PM   #1223
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by copterav8r View Post
Hey, Ryan can you post the part numbers for the tach drive parts? I found a tach drive but it is for a VE pump. I need the part number for the piece that drives off the injection pump retaining nut on a p-pump.
I'm going this link here that way we all have a reference. Can some one copy and add the picture to this thread please?

http://www.glendinningprods.com/gmp/...Cummins.v2.pdf
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #1224
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRod68 View Post
Thats pretty cool. I like the originality of it, and it doesn't look stupid.
Thanks. The Corvette guys hate it. Haha Especially the ones that are slower than it.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 10-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #1225
ryanroo

Quote:
Thanks. The Corvette guys hate it. Haha Especially the ones that are slower than it.
this i love. when i cut up my jeep i got some raised eyebrows. they only made 30K of them and mine was 100% rust free and relatively strait... easy restoration and i hacked it all up!