The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2023, 07:49 PM   #1
CatskillCruiser

Radio Help!

So my new 71 has a stereo that powers off every time I shut off the motor. Clearly not wired right, but before I pull the head unit out to replace with a better one, wanted to see if there were any wiring tips on this one?
CatskillCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:17 PM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Radio Help!

So, not sure what you mean about clearly not wired right. It seems to me a great thing for the radio to power off with the engine. Isn't that pretty much the way every car ever made is? Perhaps I missed an important point.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 08:26 PM   #3
CatskillCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
So, not sure what you mean about clearly not wired right. It seems to me a great thing for the radio to power off with the engine. Isn't that pretty much the way every car ever made is? Perhaps I missed an important point.
sorry should have said resets to where I have to power back on and reset all settings including audio setting and channel presets. I have to start fresh every time I start.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:45 PM   #4
dmjlambert

Electronic preset radios have 2 power connections. One is switched with ignition power and one is constant hot for the memory and clock settings. The lazy way to install it is just twist those 2 power leads together with a wire nut to any source of power, whatever gets it going right now, probably what you have going on. You can look to see if the wires have labels on them, which they often do, and straighten it out. The side of the radio might have a color code chart for the wires. Or an internet search for the pdf manual for the radio by its make and model number will probably get you a diagram of how it is supposed to be wired.
Old 04-28-2023, 08:52 PM   #5
dmjlambert

Source of switched power for your radio can be the Radio terminal on the fuse panel, and source of constant-on power can be the Cig terminal on the fuse panel. That is an unfused connection, so use an inline fuse on the wire. The radio probably came with a fuse holder on the wire for that connection. That may be the yellow wire.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:23 AM   #6
CatskillCruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Electronic preset radios have 2 power connections. One is switched with ignition power and one is constant hot for the memory and clock settings. The lazy way to install it is just twist those 2 power leads together with a wire nut to any source of power, whatever gets it going right now, probably what you have going on. You can look to see if the wires have labels on them, which they often do, and straighten it out. The side of the radio might have a color code chart for the wires. Or an internet search for the pdf manual for the radio by its make and model number will probably get you a diagram of how it is supposed to be wired.
Thx! Will check today