The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #1
MDFarms

Two tone paint questions

Good Morning and Happy Holidays to All,

This thread may seem obvoius to some but I would like input as I have never tackled a 67-72 two tone paint scheme. I have seen on different auctions people discussing wrong paint lines and trim heights on these before. My paint and body guy is one of the best but he has not done a complete layout on these before although worked on them back in his younger years. He is very maticulous but if he should have questions I would like some answers by being proactive now vs reactive then. I'm hoping a lot if good will come out of this discussion.

So I have some questions from those whom have done a Two Tone restoration on your process of laying out the two tone paint scheme? I did some measurments on my other truck but would like some input. Found nothing in the paint & Body section of the forums. This will be base coat clear coat paint with wooden bed floor.

My paint scheme will be white roof, blue/white/blue

Obviously have body mounted to frame line up all body lines.

Then drill holes for trim work and use that for guide on two tone lines?

Best to do the roof and center before the main color (blue)

My body guy spoke about painting parts disassembled, doing main color then back together to do center color, good or bad?

Starting points with top and bottom trim lines?

Start with front, back or perhaps door and go each way front to back?

Is the door trim piece that goes just over key lock level on door front to rear?

At my tailight/tilagate and rear box side the total white band was about 12-7/8 from what I could tell.

At the front of the door the white band measured 15-5/8 width top to bottom

I did this top moulding jig off my old truck which again to some may be laughable but it came to mind and so I did it thinking it wouldn't hurt to have a guidline.
Attached Images

Last edited by MDFarms; 12-24-2021 at 05:22 PM.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #2
May70

Re: Two tone paint questions

There is a guy on FB with a shop - Rad Rons Radical Rides and he has painted several two tones. He is painting one now. Might be worth a look/call. I called him a few times with some questions. Great guy.

I have always wondered myself how they do it... There are a few ways to do it, lately Ron has been clearing the colors separately... Id like a two tone truck but between paint and trim and all that, it looks like a nightmare. Hard enough just getting the gaps decent and painting everything one color, a lot of work.

Interested to see what other on here post.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
Grumpy old man

Watch all the C10 show truck project videos from Stout customs it may answer your questions .

https://www.youtube.com/c/StoutCustom/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQW1Wyi-ZqM

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
May70

Good call on that one grumpy, forgot about his. That guy has been painting his whole life and is really good.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #5
Louisvillekytruck

Great thread
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:02 AM   #6
Billyburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFarms View Post
Good Morning and Happy Holidays to All,

This thread may seem obvoius to some but I would like input as I have never tackled a 67-72 two tone paint scheme. I have seen on different auctions people discussing wrong paint lines and trim heights on these before. My paint and body guy is one of the best but he has not done a complete layout on these before although worked on them back in his younger years. He is very maticulous but if he should have questions I would like some answers by being proactive now vs reactive then. I'm hoping a lot if good will come out of this discussion.

So I have some questions from those whom have done a Two Tone restoration on your process of laying out the two tone paint scheme? I did some measurments on my other truck but would like some input. Found nothing in the paint & Body section of the forums. This will be base coat clear coat paint with wooden bed floor.

My paint scheme will be white roof, blue/white/blue

Obviously have body mounted to frame line up all body lines.

Then drill holes for trim work and use that for guide on two tone lines?

Best to do the roof and center before the main color (blue)

My body guy spoke about painting parts disassembled, doing main color then back together to do center color, good or bad?

Starting points with top and bottom trim lines?

Start with front, back or perhaps door and go each way front to back?

Is the door trim piece that goes just over key lock level on door front to rear?

At my tailight/tilagate and rear box side the total white band was about 12-7/8 from what I could tell.

At the front of the door the white band measured 15-5/8 width top to bottom

I did this top moulding jig off my old truck which again to some may be laughable but it came to mind and so I did it thinking it wouldn't hurt to have a guidline.
Do you have all the measurements from your two tone I’m in the middle of painting mine now and was looking for the front middle to back measurements for the paint line I don’t have molding holes to go off
Billyburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #7
72c20customcamper

Just a quick thought . Two tones varied from plant to plant and there was always human error involved . People can say the tape lines are wrong or they didnt do it that particular way but it all was dependent on what day of the week or shift it was painted different guys different techniques. Look at my truck factory complex white /Placer Gold /white /gold factory painted but no trim on the cab roof break .

My Chevelle does not have the blackout rear filler. Never did, the car had the original paint when I got it . After many spirited discussions on it someone who worked at the Atanta plant chimed in on our Chevelles board seams the first few hundred cars had the blackout then it was decided it was slowing down the line and all the rest were body color . Most of the blackouts were done at the dealership if the customer complained enough. 67 all had the blackouts
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #8
nightrider388

When it comes to painting and how, I would leave it to the painter to decide and be responsible if it turns out wrong.
nightrider388 is offline   Reply With Quote