The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Swatson

Truck wont start without starting fluid, but after i spray it itll run all day long.

I have a 66 chevy c10, with an inline 250 motor from a 70's c10. When i try to start it cold itll just turn over and over again but won't start. I can spray starting fluid into the carb and it'll crank fine and after it warms up, it'll idle fine and I can drive it all day.
And after the engine is warm, I can turn it off and crank it again and it'll fire right up.
I've put new plugs and wires, new fuel pump(mechanical), new fuel lines from pump to carb, new fuel filter, I've rebuilt the carb which is a Rochester monojet and put a new fuel filter in the carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Swatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:02 PM   #2
BLT gmc

Re: Truck wont start without starting fluid, but after i spray it itll run all day lo

Weak or weaker spark and /or low on compression? Those are the two places I would start with.
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
shp4man

Re: Truck wont start without starting fluid, but after i spray it itll run all day lo

Choke working OK?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Does the carb have fuel in it when it won't start?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:45 PM   #5
rvrfoot

Put a fuel filter on it so you can see if there is any fuel at the carb.
rvrfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
PGSigns

Have you verified the accelerator pump is working? Pull the air cleaner and pump the throttle a couple of time and look to see if you have fuel coming out. You should be able to pump it once and pull the choke and it fire right up.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
CANUCIT

Filter in tank collapsed, another inline filter clogged

2015 z71

1967 SS Chevelle
CANUCIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
Swatson

Thanks for all the advice. I found the Ignition coil had somehow overheated and melted the wire, so it wasn't getting a spark. Changed the coil, and put new wires through it, the previous wires weren't the right gauge, I'm thinking maybe it just overloaded it. Starting great now, I never thought about spark because it was working fine before i done a rebuild on the carb. Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll have more questions later on.
Swatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
63burban
Chevy addict

Use the choke
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
andyh1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swatson View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I found the Ignition coil had somehow overheated and melted the wire, so it wasn't getting a spark. Changed the coil, and put new wires through it, the previous wires weren't the right gauge, I'm thinking maybe it just overloaded it. Starting great now, I never thought about spark because it was working fine before i done a rebuild on the carb. Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll have more questions later on.
There should be two wires to the Positive side of the coil, the 6 volt resisted wire from the switch & the 12 volt wire from the starter.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote