The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #26
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

This guys spare may need some patching...

Who would've thunk mall walking could be so dangerous...

Being an ex-navy submariner myself, I loved this guys hitch cover...

More randomness. My neighbor grew up on a farm not far from here. It's still in the family, but he doesn't farm himself, his brother does. Anyway, the old tractors were still being used but not really for heavy farm work. So Neal decided a few years ago to do some father/son restorations with his son and they did these John Deeres. They use them in local tractor pulls and sometimes to show them. He had them all at his place in town here to clean up and get ready for a pull one time. The one on the right hadn't been restored yet.

If I drove around town tomorrow I bet I could find at least 6 farm tractors in peoples yards or driveways. This is definitely rural america.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #27
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A few more before bed. I'm a boiler inspector for my job. Here is some of what I see day to day.

A pair of firetube scotch marine boilers waiting for my wandering eyes to look them over...

The view from inside the firebox of a D style watertube boiler. That light square is the entry/exit. Yeah it's tight.

Here's what the burner looks like from the hot end...
Old 07-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #28
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A rest area in Iowa where wind generators are a common site has an actual blade mounted in it. It's big.

In Preston there is another big fish. They are proud of their trout in SE MN. And there is a car with 2 front ends and no back end.

Everyone should have this view from their truck at some point. Get out and drive it. This was from last month, coming home from a trip to St Louis.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #29
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

In New Ulm I drive past this old service station all the time. He doesn't sell gas anymore and I don't think it's a full time repair shop anymore either, but he does still work out of this shop. The other day I noticed a different old truck there.

He collects some Mobil gas stuff.

And these old pumps are cool. I can't remember seeing this style anywhere else, ever. The designers must have thought this was how gas pumps would look in the future, like after the turn of the millenium...
Old 07-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Red Wing is where the shoe company was started, and the original factory is now an antique mall with some restaurants, etc. in it. Being a boiler inspector, the sitting area caught my eye. Its the remains of one of the original boilers. They just did a cut away. This was a horizontal return tube style firetube boiler.

The relief valves are mounted on the left. They would not meet todays codes. I've seen that style on an operating boiler once before. They had just been grandfathered in over the years and all the inspectors before me just let them go because they figured they were meeting the code from when it was installed. But I actually went up and checked the ratings, and they weren't even stamped for code use. I made them swap in new ones. I figured 64 years of service was a pretty good run on valves that normally should be replaced every 5 years or less.

That manway in the top can be a tight fit for anyone. Back then they were typically 10"x13" which I can't get through. I used to be able to get through the 11"x14", but my shoulders aren't as flexible as they used to be to squeeze through. I'm 5'11" and 232 lbs. Built more like a linebacker, not really much girth. Tight fit.

The bars on the upper part are called staybolts and re-inforce the tubesheet to the boiler shell. These were riveted, the whole boiler was riveted together.

You can see here how the staybolts hold the upper section of the tubesheet. The lower section uses the strength of the tubes as reinforcement. Flat plate is the weakest part of a pressure vessel.

These are just some pics of cool looking clouds as a storm was rolling into Waterloo, IA.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-17-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #31
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just a few random winter scene pics...

An early prototype Ford Excursion?

If you go to St Louis you gotta do the brewery tour...

And see the arch.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #32
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My friend Damon is a bit of a gun nut. He built a few cannons. This is his biggest one. The bore is the same size as a golf ball.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #33
rambler
MOVE OVER

cool pics,,I'll be in St Louis end of the month...
Old 07-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #34
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
cool pics,,I'll be in St Louis end of the month...
If you like BBQ you need to try out Pappys. Really good stuff.

Last summer I had to get some groceries and parked next to this other old grocery getter.

My oldest girl just got back from Paris where she did a study abroad course for a few weeks. When she was walking around doing the tourist thing she spotted an old gas pump in someones back yard and took a pic for me. Good kid, well trained.

You know those websites that show fails? This is actually my neighbors plan to get up on his garage roof to fix some shingles. I borrowed him a ladder, but not until after I took the pic...
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #35
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Another neighbor got his car out of the garage. Only about the 3rd time I've seen it outside the garage. In 12 years. He drag races it and breaks something each time.

Another neighbor of mine works at a body shop in New Ulm and has a couple nice old cars. A 64 Ford Falcon and I believe a 32 Ford hot rod he recently finished. He has a 64 GTO in the garage for a future restoration project. I should get pics of those some time.

Don't see these very often. I know where a couple are at in a junkyard but they won't sell them or even parts from them.

And I loved the grill emblem on this truck...
Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #36
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

This is a good thread. Very interesting following you around on your travels. You are an accomplished photographer, along with your other talents. I work around boilers also, I've been a pipefitter for many years, and boilers are closely related. Mostly the ones I've been in are 20+ stories tall and power papermills, steam turbine powered electric generating stations, things like that. Occasionally I've installed/relocated/re-piped what
we call a "package boiler", which is closer in size to what you picture. They come in on flatbed trucks, on a skid. Cutler/Hammer for the most part. We can attach to them but not work on the actual boiler, except certain screw on/bolt on parts.

I also love the hoar frost, never knew what it was called before tho. Thanks for enlightening me. Now I can sound more edjumakateded when iz a talkin tew them peeblez.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #37
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Another neighbor got his car out of the garage. Only about the 3rd time I've seen it outside the garage. In 12 years. He drag races it and breaks something each time.

Another neighbor of mine works at a body shop in New Ulm and has a couple nice old cars. A 64 Ford Falcon and I believe a 32 Ford hot rod he recently finished. He has a 64 GTO in the garage for a future restoration project. I should get pics of those some time.

Don't see these very often. I know where a couple are at in a junkyard but they won't sell them or even parts from them.

And I loved the grill emblem on this truck...
I love that green JAVELIN.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:34 AM   #38
PAWS 72

My father in law worked at the old Rudy Farms sausage plant here in Florence ,Ala. for 39 years before he pasted away and he had to work on their boilers all the time also.I have heard some horror stories where there was several different boilers blowing there stacks,haha,.

It was HOT during the summer in that room also.

Interesting pics BTW.I likem all.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #39
meatwagon83

Quote:

If I drove around town tomorrow I bet I could find at least 6 farm tractors in peoples yards or driveways. This is definitely rural america.
is that a model A and 2 model 80s? those are pretty rare!!

and i dig the forward control jeeps are neat!!

i too live in rural america!
Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #40
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
This is a good thread. Very interesting following you around on your travels. You are an accomplished photographer, along with your other talents. I work around boilers also, I've been a pipefitter for many years, and boilers are closely related. Mostly the ones I've been in are 20+ stories tall and power papermills, steam turbine powered electric generating stations, things like that. Occasionally I've installed/relocated/re-piped what
we call a "package boiler", which is closer in size to what you picture. They come in on flatbed trucks, on a skid. Cutler/Hammer for the most part. We can attach to them but not work on the actual boiler, except certain screw on/bolt on parts.

I also love the hoar frost, never knew what it was called before tho. Thanks for enlightening me. Now I can sound more edjumakateded when iz a talkin tew them peeblez.
We call those big ones utility boilers and they are just a small percentage of the boilers out there. Probably <1%. I've worked with a lot of pipefitters over the years and thought briefly of going that route after the navy, but went a different way. I've inspected a few. My friend Damon, with the cannon, does more of those. My employer has a separate division that works with utilities, but I shy away from it because I like to see my family more than a few times a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
I love that green JAVELIN.
It's pretty nice. I always liked the AMX's. He's kinda jealous of me though. He always stops when he's driving by and see's me outside and checks out what I'm working on. He's jealous cause I get to drive mine around. Said he's thinking about de-tuning his a bit to make it more drivable so he can enjoy it more and quit breaking it. He's nearing retirement too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
My father in law worked at the old Rudy Farms sausage plant here in Florence ,Ala. for 39 years before he passed away and he had to work on their boilers all the time also.I have heard some horror stories where there was several different boilers blowing there stacks,haha,.

It was HOT during the summer in that room also.
Interesting pics BTW.I likem all.
They are hot year round unless the boiler is shutdown. An example of my day in the winter...
Go outside to cold car, -20F on a cold day. Start and go, it warms up and your at like 55F. Get to your first stop, get out of the car, and its warmed up to -5F, go into the reception area of location, 72F, go to the boiler room, 95F, back to reception, and outside, into now cold car, warm it up and repeat a few times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
is that a model A and 2 model 80s? those are pretty rare!!

and i dig the forward control jeeps are neat!!

i too live in rural america!
Its an A, an 80 and I think a 60, but I'll ask later.

Whenever I go home to Little Falls (where I grew up) I almost always stop at the dam and just watch for a while. Something about the roaring water I really like. I believe this dam is the farther upstream of any dam on the Mississippi, but could be wrong.

A couple summers ago I was in western Wisconsin in the Sparta area and saw 3 choppers flying overhead (there's a nat'l guard base nearby). I noticed they were carrying a load. I had my better camera with me and got a couple good shots.

MN is along a migration path for pelicans. Every spring we have large Squadrons (I looked it up, thats the term for a grouping, gotta keep learning) of pelicans come through.

Sunrise from my back door one winter morning on my way out to work.

The sun hits the water vapor from this stack in the morning and makes it look like fire rolling out of it. Its not smoke, its water vapor from the milk dehydrator.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #41
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

These are from Winona, MN. I really like these river towns. Probably cause it's like home to me. Considering a move to this area when my kids are all out of high school and out on their own.

The lake in Winona (it's on the Mississippi, but there is a lake to. The town is nestled between them)...

On the river...

House boats...

Barge...

Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #42
meatwagon83

i have spent a lot of time working in minnesota, i think its pretty country! new ulm, preston, windom, jackson, further north furgus falls and even further crookston and east grand forks.

and now that i look at the tractor on the far right its a little newer, probably a 730

Last edited by meatwagon83; 07-21-2013 at 02:21 PM.
meatwagon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #43
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

you must be pretty close to the 14/71 area. it's gotta be cool to travel and see so much for work.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #44
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
i have spent a lot of time working in minnesota, i think its pretty country! new ulm, preston, windom, jackson, further north furgus falls and even further crookston and east grand forks.

and now that i look at the tractor on the far right its a little newer, probably a 730
My first territory as an inspector was the red river valley from Fargo north to Canada and about 75 miles east and west of that line. Lived in Detroit Lakes then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
you must be pretty close to the 14/71 area. it's gotta be cool to travel and see so much for work.
Close. I'm about 3 blocks from the intersection of MN 4 and US 14.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #45
meatwagon83

Quote:
My first territory as an inspector was the red river valley from Fargo north to Canada and about 75 miles east and west of that line. Lived in Detroit Lakes then.
i did jobs up that way too, wahpeton, fargo and casselton i work in the upper midwest alot, and like you i take my truck! but for me its often 1000 miles one way!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #46
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

I spent a couple years working on these when I was younger, mid 70's. Was living in St. Louis, covered the Mississippi from St. Paul to New Orleans, the Illinois from Joliet to the mouth below Alton, and the Ohio from Pittsburgh on down. Loved it, for a while. You're fortunate to get to travel the way you do.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Last edited by TennesseeZ; 07-21-2013 at 10:58 PM.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #47
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I was working around Minneapolis today. Rolling down Hennepin Ave and this Mercedes SLS AMG Gullwing pulls into the lane in front of me...

My next stop had these giant lawn chairs out front. Not that unusual I know, but you don't see them every day.

So I go into another buildings parking garage and find these beauties...

Just cell phone pics, so not the greatest. I hear that both of those black ones are owned by the same guy. Hedge fund manager that leases a bunch of space there. There were quite a few other high end cars there too, but these really stood out.

I told the maintenance guy I was with that if I wanted a nice car like that I'd have to build it. A bit out of my price range.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #48
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Some frost in the kitchen window. It has been replaced, no more frost issues.

Not all days hitting the road are pleasant...

As this guy found out in a more severe way...

I see a lot of clouds when I go outside ...

Some have a more sinister look to them, like this demon flying overhead...

Welcome to Bemidji.

They are proud of their fish too...

This is probably the coolest fish statue I've ever seen though (Serpent Lake in Crosby)...

Not a common sight, sideways icicles...

They formed normally, the the branches got heavy and drooped. When the wind blows while icicles form they dont go sideways by the way. They usually just for a blade shape, which is kinda cool too.

With all the lakes around it's not out of the question for there to be submarines in the area I suppose...

This one was a at an antique/junk shop south of Lakeville. You could see it from I-35, but I needed a closer look. It's not what you would call sea worthy. Its for looks alone. But I actually do know where a working minisub is located up in Detroit Lakes. I've seen it. I have considered building one myself. Maybe in time.

I don't remember what town is proud of this bird. Maybe someone will recognize it and remind me.

Always loved seeing the mist over the water...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #49
Bomp

Awesome pics man Thanks for posting.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #50
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Awesome pics man Thanks for posting.
Thanks man. Not all of these will interest everyone, but pretty sure some of these will be new to a lot of people. Like these here. This boiler was being scrapped out. I had inspected it in previous years, was a piece of crap. Just wore out. My boss had inspected it like 20 years before me and said it was completely packed with scale at that time. It had been cleaned up since, but had some leaking tubes, bad refractory and insulation, rusted through outer skin, etc. Had to be removed in pieces. D type watertube boiler.

The yellowy crust stuff is residue from tube leakage.

This bulge is from a past furnace explosion. Thats when gasses build up in the furnace box area, then ignite. It pops the sides out of the outer skin. Usually doesn't effect the pressure containing part of the boiler. The contractors will drill holes and spray insulation in to fill the gap.

View of a cut away mud drum (lower drum)

Looking in the end...