The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #1
sambudo

carb question Bay city Mono-jet

Hello new to the forum, and new chevy truck owner. I'd like to find out about the stock carburetor. id like to rebuild my carburetor, are they hard to do? Wheres the best place to get parts for them?

What information is needed in order to get the correct rebuild kit? i found two different sets of numbers on it. This # found on the base of the carb 7034061 and these numbers are vertical from where the fuel line enters the carb. 7042014 025-72 BA. thanks for the help.

Upgrades: Power Steering
.......................____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
sambudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: carb question Bay city Mono-jet

The number stamped vertically on the side is the number you use. Any good parts man can get a kit from this number. Carquest & Napa have the best kits. They are pretty easy to rebuild. Keep the old gaskets to match up. The kit may come with more then one to cover more applications. Study the direction sheet to adjust the float level & metering rod. These are critical. Make sure the link from the throttle shaft to the metering rod shaft stays in the hole. These can work out & let the metering rod go to full rich. Sometimes you have to bend it in a little. Make surethe screws that hold the air cleaner bracket on are tight. These can fall out & destruck the engine. If you remove them use thread locker on them. Those are some pointers. If you have more questions post them.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
sambudo

thank you thats good information. Can you still buy these new? or get parts for these? For instance the part that holds down the air cleaner the bolt hole that holds the cleaner on is stripped out.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

About the only parts you can buy for these are the kit & float. Anything else will have to be used. Some of these carb shops may have some. They are not available new & remans are junk. If you are referring to the hole in the bracket that the stud to the air filter fits, you can weld a nut to it.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
sambudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
About the only parts you can buy for these are the kit & float. Anything else will have to be used. Some of these carb shops may have some. They are not available new & remans are junk. If you are referring to the hole in the bracket that the stud to the air filter fits, you can weld a nut to it.
thanks this is good info.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #6
TheSeeker

Digging this one back up, I just put a larger air filter on my monojet, and I had to make longer threaded rod to install the big filter. The hole was stripped out on my bracket and I just put a nut on the bottom and one on top and used the pressure to tighten it together for now, but the problem is the nut keeps the throttle plate from going 100% open. It closes all the way with the choke but opens 80% only. I plan on taking it back apart to fix it correctly but my question is this;

If I weld a nut to the bottom of the bracket, wont this problem keep occuring?
Maybe a nut with smaller width, etc? not sure yet, truck is driveable but obviously not perfect with the throttle plate not WOT. Thanks
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
Wrenchbender Ret

Weld the nut on top of the bracket. The plate you call throttle plate is actually the choke plate. It must open completely or you will run rich.