The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Pinchecharlie

Coolant in pan questions

So I had a bad manifold install and after buttoning up that and trying to find where the oil mess was coming from. I decided to drain the pan and check the rear main. Well the first 2 seconds of fluid was coolant , then crap oil. So it's been awhile since I was a master mechanic (like never) so coolant in oil= bad head gasket, bad maiffold gasket or cracked head/s and or block right? Just want to have a plan of attack. Where do sbc 350 usually blow head gaskets? I know the ma ifold job was crap and that it was the rear rail that was not sealed could that lead coolant to oil? My csi Miami engine skills are low. Any insight before i dig in? Coolant was fresh, back of block and drivers side by filter was very oily and top of bellhousing was cacked with oil. Thanks your insights ,your humble forum member charlie
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: Coolant in pan questions

Every time I pull an intake manifold off a v engine, coolant always falls in through the valley. Even when the coolant was drained.

Coolant will sink to the bottom.

There's usually a milkshake when the head gasket blows.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Pinchecharlie

Oh good thanks
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
Dead Parrot

My one experience with blown head gasket in a SBC was due to a stuck thermostat overheat. Went bad in the small gap between cylinders. No fluid leaks, just bad compression on the two adjacent cylinders.

If you aren't pulling the pan, do your best to tilt the vehicle to drain all the stuff out. If on level ground, a couple of short 2x6 under the front passenger tire will work.

Sounds like your bad manifold job is the likely culprit. While the OEM manifold doesn't have rear coolant passages, the heads do have the holes for some. If the rear manifold gasket didn't seal, coolant in the oil is possible.

Might also check and change that valve cover gasket. They are a common source of oil leaks.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote