The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
tucker69

Mass Air Flow Sensor??? Bigger Options?

You guys that are souping up your "LS" engines, what are you doing for your "MAFS"? what I mean is, if your installing a larger intake, larger mm throttle body is the stock MAFS sufficient to flow enough to support those changes? in my pea brain I would think that it doesn't matter how big the throttle plate is if the incoming air is bottle necked by a much smaller MAFS. I looked around for larger MAFS's without much success, so obviously I am wrong in my thinking. Please help me see the light. Thanks, Casey
tucker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Mass Air Flow Sensor??? Bigger Options?

There are different choices. Some folks use an aftermarket larger MAF, they are very expensive. Some have used a blade-style MAF which is fine so long as it still sits in the tube correctly. Otherwise SD is an option, losing the MAF altogther.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
tucker69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
There are different choices. Some folks use an aftermarket larger MAF, they are very expensive. Some have used a blade-style MAF which is fine so long as it still sits in the tube correctly. Otherwise SD is an option, losing the MAF altogther.
Where/Who would I get in touch with about the blade style and larger options. I am assuming a computer reflash would ne necessary.... Casey
Old 04-20-2016, 08:34 PM   #4
clinebarger

Is your engine to the point it NEEDS a larger throttle body & Intake Manifold is the real question. And if you are at that point......Speed Density IS the best option.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
homemade87

What do you have now and what engine mods . If you have the 87mm truck maf it can support some pretty big HP. I know several that is at 450 rear wheel hp with the 87mm . Me included . Unless you have all the supporting mods to get to that level a bigger maf will not be beneficial . If you have the 78mm car maf I would suggest changing it to the 87mm . A tune will be necessary after .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Hart_Rod

Speartech sells the blade style MAF with housing.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Matt Cramer

The most important question about the MAF is whether it can accurately measure the amount of air the engine pulls in with the mods you've put on it. If not, it's time to upgrade.

Or you can just go speed density, which is what I did. Sometimes, there's no MAF like no MAF.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
tucker69

I guess my real question is will the truck throttle body support/allow the air flow for/to the larger 92/102mm intake and throttle body provided the engine is healthy enough to need them in the first place. Is there like a formula? This was just a question I had. Again, to me it seemed as though the mafs would be a restriction to the much larger intake and tb. I'm new to this "LS" platform and was just wondering.. thanks for all your input.....Casey
Old 04-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker69 View Post
I guess my real question is will the truck throttle body support/allow the air flow for/to the larger 92/102mm intake and throttle body provided the engine is healthy enough to need them in the first place. Is there like a formula? T
If the volume of air@pressure the engine can move is higher than the volume of air@pressure the MAF can flow(or whatever the smallest point on your intake is)...then it is a restriction. There is like "actual" math, but the computer does is much better than I could. *something involving Pi*

Most of the time we just determine it on the dyno. If you're not able to fill up the MAP tables, or if your running into a wall at a certain RPM...then you've got a bottleneck.

Of course the "healthy enough to need them" is a big part of it. The 102mm intake is NOT a good upgrade for mild engines, and since it requires that you run the 102mm TB, it means 75% of tuners can barely make it idle (WAY worse on cars that don't need its air volume)

Old 05-04-2016, 03:24 AM   #10
speedfreak71

are there any drivability issues when deleting the MAF ?
speedfreak71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #11
Custom 68

I have not found any. I really do need to log and touch on my tune I am sure but it made mine more drivable I felt when I went speed density because of my turbo.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #12
Matt Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak71 View Post
Not if tuned properly. But this will require a non-stock tune, and your drivability won't be any better than your tuner's ability to get it working.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #13
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak71 View Post
If you were to somehow drive in a situation in which air density and temperature changed super drastically, really fast, then possibly. But usually, its not the case.

For example, if I were building an N/A car that spent lots of time doing mountain runs or canyons, then I'd lean towards keeping the MAF. A midmorning circuit could see like 2k feet of elevation and 30* in temp change in a matter of minutes.

But for power, racing, or dialing in anything oddball...the SD tuning is very nice, so long as you have access to someone or knowledge of doing it.