The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #151
jeffahart

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
I would purchase your radio from a good CB Shop.

This way your radio will be peaked and tuned.

Amazon is the last place I would purchase a CB radio. That's just me.

Good Luck

I will be buying off Amazon, here's why. It's what I would get anyway, new radio in the box. CB shop at Castaic Junction is Gone. The two truck supply shops, and these places have everything, just sale out of box, no help, just box with a new radio. So I will help myself. If the radio performs so poorly I have to get it tuned, I will look into getting instructions and doing it myself. I will need to borrow or buy a meter for SWR, but that will be it. I will not call on the Ham radio outlet again. In looking back he should have been more ready to help. I like to give little shops business. But you can't complain about losing business to Amazon if you give the same customer service = none or don't bother me!

Plus, I have you to help me... best help on the net is here!

I'm going to get it all assembled and see what I got! I need to start somewhere and get the ball rolling and see how I do with it.

Thanks for all your help!

j
Old 02-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #152
'68OrangeSunshine

Nice selection. No Remote 4 Ohm Speaker? PA Horn is good. I had a cheap Radio Shack one, about 3'' deep and 5'' diameter, mounted on radiator wall inside grille. In 'listen mode' I could copy the mail from outside the truck. In PA mode I could make wrangler noises at stray dogies that got on the highway in the remoter stretches of Arizona. In the city you could insult people on the street. It was fun.
Not so sure about the Quick-disconnect gizmo. We always just ''Let it all hang out'' as far as radio gear. Someone might quick-disconnect your antenna on you when you're inside the quikie mart getting a big soda.
Or you might quick-disconnect it yourself, forget to put it back on, then see a buddy on the road you want to give a shout to, and you transmit -- without the proper impedance on the line -- and fry your final transmitter stage.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #153
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Nice selection. No Remote 4 Ohm Speaker? PA Horn is good. I had a cheap Radio Shack one, about 3'' deep and 5'' diameter, mounted on radiator wall inside grille. In 'listen mode' I could copy the mail from outside the truck. In PA mode I could make wrangler noises at stray dogies that got on the highway in the remoter stretches of Arizona. In the city you could insult people on the street. It was fun.
Not so sure about the Quick-disconnect gizmo. We always just ''Let it all hang out'' as far as radio gear. Someone might quick-disconnect your antenna on you when you're inside the quikie mart getting a big soda.
Or you might quick-disconnect it yourself, forget to put it back on, then see a buddy on the road you want to give a shout to, and you transmit -- without the proper impedance on the line -- and fry your final transmitter stage.
No speaker. I decided to see if I could hear it before I get one. Good info on transmitting without impedance. I may kick the quick connect out of the package, you talked me out of it!

I decided on the Cobra 29 ltd classic. But, since I dragged my feet, the $85 radio on Amazon is not listed anymore, or the seller took it down and put it back up for more bucks. Now only Fry's has that price. No hurry though, I won't be able to start install for a couple weeks. I'm doing an alternator and battery upgrade at the same time. I put on a winch that needs amps.

j
Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #154
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I will be buying off Amazon, here's why. It's what I would get anyway, new radio in the box. CB shop at Castaic Junction is Gone. The two truck supply shops, and these places have everything, just sale out of box, no help, just box with a new radio. So I will help myself. If the radio performs so poorly I have to get it tuned, I will look into getting instructions and doing it myself. I will need to borrow or buy a meter for SWR, but that will be it. I will not call on the Ham radio outlet again. In looking back he should have been more ready to help. I like to give little shops business. But you can't complain about losing business to Amazon if you give the same customer service = none or don't bother me!

Plus, I have you to help me... best help on the net is here!

I'm going to get it all assembled and see what I got! I need to start somewhere and get the ball rolling and see how I do with it.

Thanks for all your help!

j
Understand but... there are CB Shops that I would not hesitate purchasing from online. I prefer to buy from a place that sells and service these radios ... plus better warranty. Then again ... I haven't bought a new radio in years ... I purchase the older used radios ... Cobra is a solid radio- Good choice.

Bobs CB

https://www.bobscb.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bells CB
https://www.bellscb.com/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

High Voltage CB Radio Shop  

Electronics Repair Shop

Address: 608 Lovell Rd, Knoxville, TN 37932
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 2PM Thu
Phone: (865) 313-8709

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 02-28-2018 at 09:27 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:35 AM   #155
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
No speaker. I decided to see if I could hear it before I get one. Good info on transmitting without impedance. I may kick the quick connect out of the package, you talked me out of it!

I decided on the Cobra 29 ltd classic. But, since I dragged my feet, the $85 radio on Amazon is not listed anymore, or the seller took it down and put it back up for more bucks. Now only Fry's has that price. No hurry though, I won't be able to start install for a couple weeks. I'm doing an alternator and battery upgrade at the same time. I put on a winch that needs amps.

j
You show promise, Grasshopper.
Yeah, the etherial nature of the digital marketplace.
I hesitated on an evilbay Messenger II going for peanuts for parts. Hey, I stil need parts. But I paid more important bills, and by the time the eagle could fly again, it was gone. Say la vie.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #156
70cst

Any other CB fanatics

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 03-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #157
jeffahart

Well, I have a radio and a big pile of accessories on my work bench. Looks like it will take me a couple days work. I need to make a mount bracket. The one that comes with the radio won't get it in the right spot. The stake mount won't work either. So I got a little bracket making to do. I'll post my setup when it's up and running.

j
Old 03-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #158
'68OrangeSunshine

I had a Radio Shack TRC-421. If the mike plug was disconnected from the radio body, the transmitter was keyed [ON]. Plug it back in and the Mic went on with the Mic button, only. Without a 50 Ohm load this would burn up the final stage. Not sure if any other make or model does that, but beware.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:59 AM   #159
70cst

Quote:
I had a Radio Shack TRC-421. If the mike plug was disconnected from the radio body, the transmitter was keyed [ON]. Plug it back in and the Mic went on with the Mic button, only. Without a 50 Ohm load this would burn up the final stage. Not sure if any other make or model does that, but beware.
I have a Radio Shack TRC 465 and it is a great little talker. I use it in the wife's van when we go on long trips.

Radio Shack made some very good radios.
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #160
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
I have a Radio Shack TRC 465 and it is a great little talker. I use it in the wife's van when we go on long trips.

Radio Shack made some very good radios.
Oh Yeah. Good rigs. Just mine had that one idiosyncracy. I noticed it when my remote speaker squeeled ear-splitting feedback as I swapped a stock dynamic mike for a noise-cancelling, preamped mike -- while energized. Antenna was hooked up though, so the Blue Smoke'' didn't get out.

Sadly, the Shack has gone hooves up in these parts, and their online catalog lists no CB radios.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 03-10-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:30 PM   #161
jeffahart

Finally got time to install my Cobra 29 CB this weekend. I mounted it close to me since it is down so low. There is enough room between the stick and the radio to mount under the heater controls because it's a 4x4. But I did not for two reasons. First it was too far away and low to fiddle with the knobs. Second, I didn't want it in front of the heater vent. When you look at the radio it would appear it's in the way of drivers feet or legs. Not at all, and it's easy to reach. I used 1/8" steel plate as a mounting platform under the dash. Also, the stake mount from Firestick sucked! I made my own out for 1/4" flat bar, it;s way sturdier.

Radio works great! Here's some pics! Also, Thanks for all the great help! You know who you are! Much Thanks guys!
j

1/4" flat bar bent and mounted in stake hole with fire ring under mount.

Name:  20180324_185553.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  27.9 KB

inside view

Name:  20180324_162143.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  52.4 KB

Inside view

Name:  20180324_162110.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  58.7 KB

5' Firestick II antenna

Name:  20180325_175819.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  62.7 KB
Old 03-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #162
wpavlis

Love it! Can't wait to get mine installed. Any way you could show a close up of how the bracket you made for the radio attaches?
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #163
bbrriiaann1973

Don't they make a cb/radio in one unit so you don't have to mount one under the dash?
Old 03-26-2018, 01:46 AM   #164
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpavlis View Post
Love it! Can't wait to get mine installed. Any way you could show a close up of how the bracket you made for the radio attaches?
Just a piece of 1/8" sheet. I cut the excess off the back once I got it bolted where I liked it. Plus I drilled new holes in the sides of the supplied bracket up and forward about 3/8". You need to play with it a bit. I won't cherry coat it, the Cobra 29 is a HUGE unit. But if you get it in the right spot it''s not in the way. I love the placement; I can get to it easy. Plus, I routed the mike cord over the top of the radio. I drilled holes in the mount bracket and used small cable hold downs. I stretched 7" of mike cord straight and screwed both sided of the mike cord down. So my mike cord is lashed down nicely so it hangs off the right side of the unit and does not come near any pedals. Plus it's not impeding with my stick.

j

Name:  20180317_150433.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  35.0 KB
Old 03-26-2018, 02:24 AM   #165
'68OrangeSunshine

Gettin' there.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #166
jeffahart

Quote:
Gettin' there.
Did you see my pics further up stream? It's in an working great!

j
Old 03-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #167
wpavlis

Jeff - thanks for the pics and further description. Pictures are worth a thousand words!

Bill
wpavlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #168
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
Don't they make a cb/radio in one unit so you don't have to mount one under the dash?
The factory didn’t make the combo platter until the squarebody era, and they don’t fit in 67-72 without a little cutting. Vettes, Trans Ams, Cadillacs had them as an option - probably many others as well. Cool units, just not ideal for a factory look in a 67-72. There are probably a few aftermarket ones available (Kraco comes to mind), but I haven’t seen one designed for the 67-72 dash opening.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #169
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrriiaann1973 View Post
They did, and they may have been OK as an AM/FM but they weren't so great as 2-Way radios. Sorta underpowered. Good if you only wanted to call the REACT monitor on 9 to ask for help [back when there still was a REACT monitor] but not much good for QSO. DX-ing forget about it.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #170
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Did you see my pics further up stream? It's in an working great!

j
Yeah. I see it now. Nice rig. Antenna looks cool. [No spring?]
Is there much CB traffic in the LA area?
I used to live on the backslope of the Hollywood Hills and had great coverage of the Valley from my base. 17 was the local channel, but that was 50 years ago.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #171
jeffahart

Quote:
Yeah. I see it now. Nice rig. Antenna looks cool. [No spring?]
Is there much CB traffic in the LA area?
I used to live on the backslope of the Hollywood Hills and had great coverage of the Valley from my base. 17 was the local channel, but that was 50 years ago.
Yes, I have a heavy duty spring and it works great. I skipped the quick connect thing. Guess I zoomed in too close on the firering connection so the spring ain't showing.

No not much traffic, but I've learned to create traffic. People are out there. When I got my CB installed I though it wasn't receiving. I drove around and only heard static. I was very disappointed! Here's my first conversation. Oh, by the way, my call sign is "Urban Tortoise" Or "UT1". I gave myself that call sign as everyone passed me on the freeway Monday!

Anyhow, I got annoyed there was no chatter, or that my radio might not be working correctly. I picked up the mic.

Me: "Anyone out there?"
Trucker: "No one out here!"
Me: "I didn't think so! Keep on truckin'!"
Trucker: "Thank You!!"

That came in so clear, I was so happy. Now I have a had a couple short conversations with truckers. I just ask if anyones out there and they pop on and say hello. Guys I've chatted with so far are pretty cool. I'm not getting any crap about doing something wrong as far as radio etiquette. But I will morph into their ways as I expand my conversations. I'm still dipping my toe in the water, so to speak! I will try channel 15 and 17 today too. I've learned just because there's static doesn't mean no one is listening!

j
Old 03-29-2018, 05:15 PM   #172
'68OrangeSunshine

Well, you can tune out the static with the squelch knob, if you didn't know already. But too much squelch, and you lose sensitivity to DX signals.
Good to hear the rig is working.
I would think that after some 50 years, channels would migrate and jargon would evolve.
A lot of the old '70s ''CB Lingo'' [as published] would be archaic by now. Some of it, like the Ten Code, can't change, but Police and Emercency Services codes are different from the CB usage.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #173
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
.............. and jargon would evolve.
A lot of the old '70s ''CB Lingo'' [as published] would be archaic by now.......
I haven't been behind the wheel for about 12 years now, but even back then "Good Buddy" meant something entirely different then it did during "Smokey And The Bandit" days.
When I left we just addressed each other by "Driver" or the carrier they were driving for except when you're pointing out a potential problem. "Driver, you know your left headlight's out right?" "Driver, you know your inside rear trailer re-flap is coming apart right?" "You're going to run out of flasher-fluid." (This is if they changed lanes and the signals didn't cancel.)
Being generic doesn't pin-point a particular truck and make it too easy for DOT or a bear to single him/her out.
Don't ask for a "Smokey Report"! Just listen. If there's a Smokey, DOT, or local around they'll already be chatting about him.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #174
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I haven't been behind the wheel for about 12 years now, but even back then "Good Buddy" meant something entirely different then it did during "Smokey And The Bandit" days.
When I left we just addressed each other by "Driver" or the carrier they were driving for except when you're pointing out a potential problem. "Driver, you know your left headlight's out right?" "Driver, you know your inside rear trailer re-flap is coming apart right?" "You're going to run out of flasher-fluid." (This is if they changed lanes and the signals didn't cancel.)
Being generic doesn't pin-point a particular truck and make it too easy for DOT or a bear to single him/her out.
Don't ask for a "Smokey Report"! Just listen. If there's a Smokey, DOT, or local around they'll already be chatting about him.

Just my 2 cents worth.....
Yeah, last year, after a 20-something year absence from the frequency,
I finally got my [long-lost, newly-found] NIB Radio Shack SSB/AM rig mounted in the '92 Subaru with a small mag mount as ears, and was tearing up I-10 for a gig in PHX. Around MP 184 [?] I saw the Highway Patrol stopped on the side, and tried out the rig with the traditional Smokey report: "Northbound Eye Ten, be advised, Bear on the side at MP 184, 1-8-4...'' I got a few ''Ten Rogers'', and ''Thanks'' from other units, then in less than a minute, that same white-and-blue Dept of Public Safety late model Ford Explorer was on my tail taking pictures. After about 90 seconds, long enough to run my plates, he pulled left and reset his position on the median, to clock the Southbound, I guess. So Bears got ears, now. I maintained radio silence after that.
I did read on the website "Urban Dictionary'' that "Good Buddy" has acquired a non-traditional connotation nowadays.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #175
toolboxchev

I have an older "Cobra" maybe??? I forget? Gotta get it mounted in.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote