The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2021, 10:59 PM   #76
pjmoreland

Re: Reproduction Tach Dash Bezel Lens Text Not Lighting Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Got my parts from GMC Paul's (lens) and 70shortfleet (tin for gauges) today and installed. I can now see stuff! Basically the difference between night and day ;-)
That's good news. I got pretty good at removing and disassembling my gauge cluster through all of this debugging, and I know exactly which tools to grab. I hope I don't have to pull it apart again for a long while.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #77
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I know how you feel, twice is one too many. I also got a new (to me) temp gauge as might was really discolored (brown stuff on it). When I took it out completely there was an old time orange rectangle price sticker on it ($10). So at some point it was replaced with a crapy used part.

Though I just noticed I am getting bleed through on the left turn signal, I guess the little cardboard can slipped somehow (booo). So I see #3 coming to me (stupid me). I think I'll end up doing it when I get my radio in....

Edit:
To be perfectly clear, I was unable to ready any text, digits, words, etc or even see a smidge of the speedo needle before swapping out the lens and tin. Once it got dark I could not tell what speed I was going.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 01-05-2021 at 12:02 AM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:12 PM   #78
pjmoreland

Quote:
I know how you feel, twice is one two many. I also got a new (to me) temp gauge as might was really discolored (brown stuff on it). When I took it out completely there was an old time orange rectangle price sticker on it ($10). So at some point it was replaced with a crapy used part.

Though I just noticed I am getting bleed through on the left turn signal, I guess the little cardboard can slipped somehow (booo). So I see #3 coming to me (stupid me). I think I'll end up doing it when I get my radio in....
Looks really good. Both of my turn signals bleed a little
Old 01-04-2021, 11:31 PM   #79
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
I know how you feel, twice is one two many. I also got a new (to me) temp gauge as might was really discolored (brown stuff on it). When I took it out completely there was an old time orange rectangle price sticker on it ($10). So at some point it was replaced with a crapy used part.

what bulbs are you using? i like the factory green look

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:43 PM   #80
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

@pjmoreland The bleed through looks worse on the photo but I am pretty sure it was not there before this lens/tin swap. I just did a drive and perhaps I can live with it - its a real pain to take it out and break things down. I am thinking it is that seal under the cardboard cone that is causing it (its all hard).

@kev2809 For my LED bulbs, see a post a few back from me: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...5&postcount=69

Not only is the new lens painted on the correct side, it seems milkyer? I do love the green color - this is how it should have looked the 1st time around ;-)

Attaching my lens, the one in the dash is the new and the one over it is the "painted wrong" lens. Cannot really see what I mean about the color shade different but I could see it for sure.
Attached Images

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 01-04-2021, 11:50 PM   #81
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
@pjmoreland The bleed through looks worse on the photo but I am pretty sure it was not there before this lens/tin swap. I just did a drive and perhaps I can live with it - its a real pain to take it out and break things down. I am thinking it is that seal under the cardboard cone that is causing it (its all hard).

@kev2809 For my LED bulbs, see a post a few back from me: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...5&postcount=69

Not only is the new lens painted on the correct side, it seems milkyer? I do love the green color - this is how it should have looked the 1st time around ;-)

Attaching my lens, the one in the dash is the new and the one over it is the "painted wrong" lens. Cannot really see what I mean about the color shade different but I could see it for sure.
wow totally missed that lol. 8 bucks a bulb! those add up quick...i really love that green output though. so gmc pauls is now selling the correct lens?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:59 PM   #82
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Yep - they made good on it once it was pointed out to them (hoping to get a proper refund once I send the bad lens back). But if it was not for pjmoreland I would have been driving around at night cussing my dash lights and perhaps buying different bulbs in vain. I am so very thankful to pjmoreland for his due diligence.

GMC Pauls has also reported the tin issue and the vendor says they will re-tool but it will take some time before that will happen. Until then, I hope people find 70shortfleet!!

As for the cost, so long as they last I'll be happy!

Old 01-05-2021, 05:28 AM   #83
pjmoreland

Quote:
I'll bet you're right about the little black seal rings. I don't even have any on mine.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #84
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

GMC Pauls does seem to have those little seals or the little cardboard tubes... if you find any do let me know. I suppose some kind of a (lite) ATV would work but that seems like a hack.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:35 PM   #85
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Got this great suggestion via PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639
Take the little tubes out and go buy a cheap bike inner tube. Trace the tube out on the inner tube cut and install.
Most tire shops have old inner tubes you can have for free.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #86
DA71Grande

I just got a new lens for my bezel and the green paint is on the back side so I’m guessing that this is one of the lenses that are painted wrong?
Attached Images

71 Sierra Grande C25
16 Sierra 2500HD All Terrain
23 Chevy Tahoe Z71

https://paypal.me/digdug7131?locale.x=en_US
DA71Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #87
pjmoreland

The green paint is supposed to be on the front of the lens, so your new lens was made incorrectly.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:38 AM   #88
pjmoreland

Quote:
Got this great suggestion via PM
I finally got around to doing this mod with an old bicycle inner tube while I was installing a vacuum gauge. No more bleed-through on my turn signals
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2022, 09:09 AM   #89
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I finally got around to doing this mod with an old bicycle inner tube while I was installing a vacuum gauge. No more bleed-through on my turn signals
I must say that is one of the most evenly and well lit up factory gauge clusters I have ever seen. I have never been able to get one of the factory gauge clusters to light up to where I can comfortably see everything at night.

Nice job!
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #90
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I ended up buying a sheet of rubber off Amazon, figured I could use it for other stuff. But it is more or less the same as bicycle tire rubber.

I also ended up replacing the Tach Grommet (and I saw also I could have gotten new tubes) on the Ecklers. I thought I share, as it seems I never updated my progress on the Bleed-Thru.

1953-1977 Corvette Speedometer or Tachometer Grommet

Turn Signal Indicator Lens, Green, 67-72
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #91
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

thought I add another photo, this is with the driver side door opened. I took this photo to show how my new Blazer Courtesy lights look and happen to have the running lights on (so the dash is lit up).
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2022, 12:42 PM   #92
pjmoreland

Quote:
thought I add another photo, this is with the driver side door opened. I took this photo to show how my new Blazer Courtesy lights look and happen to have the running lights on (so the dash is lit up).
That looks great!