The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
ssuesens

wont start - obvious things to check?

Phone just rang. Son is stranded 3 blocks from the house - his 71 C10 died at a stop light. I just towed him home and will go look at it tomorrow morning.

Here is what I know. The motor has always been VERY dependable - it is his daily driver. Last Sunday we replaced soft fuel line for a hard fuel line from fuel pump to fuel filter before carburetor. It has been working fine until tonight. Tonight we checked fuel filter and it had gas in it. Checked carb and it had plenty of fuel as well. Cranking sounded normal - just didn't start.

I know from experience it is usually the last thing you messed with but it appears it is getting plenty of fuel.

So I ask the better mechanics than me on this board (almost all of you) what you would look at first.

Additional info:
350 AT
HEI Dist (Petronics flamethrower)
Holley 4 barrel

(sorry this originally was posted in Projects & Builds)

64 C10 SWB
71 C10 LWB
72 C10 LWB
ssuesens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
70'

Re: wont start - obvious things to check?

You verified fuel,so the next step is to verify spark. What's the status on that?
70' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 AM   #3
70 shop truck

I agree it usually is the last thing you messed with if the engine started/ran fine before. Even though it sounds like it cranks alright might be worth 5 minutes to hook cables up and see if a jump works before you dive deeper.

Only takes fuel/air/spark for a engine to run so I would take the air cleaner off and look down the carb while moving the linkage. See or listen for fuel while you do this and if it's there and move on to spark. You didn't say what type of ignition you are running.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
70 shop truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #4
Mr Handy

I say check spark as well. I put HEI on mine a couple of years ago and after a few hundred miles the ignition module went out and left me on the side of the road. Easy and cheap fix once you know what the problem is... I should pick up an extra to keep in the glove box.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
ssuesens

Re: wont start - obvious things to check? FIXED

It always frustrates me when members post problems and then other members make comments and intelligent suggestions but the original poster never follows up with resolution. So here is mine!

Turns out the issue was a failed fuel pump. When I checked the oil it had ALOT of gasoline. After oil change and new FP it is again running well. But along the way I pulled and tested the starter and had the carburetor floats adjusted. Along the journey I apparently ran the + battery cable too close to the headers, melted insulation and shorted out against headers. That made for an exciting few moments. Lesson learned there.

This barely capable shade tree mechanic learned ALOT this weekend and after reading dozen of forum posts I had the knowledge and confidence to tackle this all myself.

Thanks all!

64 C10 SWB
71 C10 LWB
72 C10 LWB
ssuesens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Sklptrljay

Re: wont start - obvious things to check? FIXED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuesens View Post
It always frustrates me when members post problems and then other members make comments and intelligent suggestions but the original poster never follows up with resolution. So here is mine!

Turns out the issue was a failed fuel pump. When I checked the oil it had ALOT of gasoline. After oil change and new FP it is again running well. But along the way I pulled and tested the starter and had the carburetor floats adjusted. Along the journey I apparently ran the + battery cable too close to the headers, melted insulation and shorted out against headers. That made for an exciting few moments. Lesson learned there.

This barely capable shade tree mechanic learned ALOT this weekend and after reading dozen of forum posts I had the knowledge and confidence to tackle this all myself.

Thanks all!
Good to hear you figured it out. I didn't post on this thread , but was wondering what you would find out the problem was.

You're right about people never following up with the solution to their particular issues. Although I admit I have been guilty of that myself.

Thanks for sharing, happy Easter To you.

1972 GMC 4X4 K1500 Survivor - Sold

No matter what problems life throws at you, your time on Earth can be incredibly fulfilling and rewarding.....if you just lower your expectations. -Phil Dunphy
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote