The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Russ V

Angry still have engin problems

checked vacuum at rear of carb 15 inches checked intake no leaks new gasket carb to intake carb is a rochester 2 barrel checked trans level it's ok truck will not idle in gear it stalls almost instantly. please any thoughts thanks much RV
Russ V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
firethorn

Re: still have engin problems

i had this problem with my truck, turned out the fuel pump was bad and as soon it was under load it died, problem went away with the new pump, maybe its something you could try.
firethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

A little more info>> Year and engine.

Fuel pump could be the problem but can you run the vehicle at all? In other words does it die as soon as you put it in gear?
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
ka_jd7and1
is a fungineer

What's your RPM at idle in park?

2003 S10, 2.2 auto- the daily driver, currently with a 2"/2" drop and some minor engine bolt-ons

1978 Impala 2-door, race 350/T350 - the new race car, in progress

1968 Chevy C10 longbed- 3/5 drop, currently undergoing a heart transplant
ka_jd7and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Russ V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
A little more info>> Year and engine.

Fuel pump could be the problem but can you run the vehicle at all? In other words does it die as soon as you put it in gear?
thanks for your responce engine is a 283 1966 i beleave tran is a77 turbo from a chevelle engine was rebuilt but not by me carb was rebuilt by the guy i got the engine from but he did not rebuild the engine. i ran the engine in but never tried it in gear untill i felt comfortable the engine was ok. when i tried to put it in gear it stalled,a friend and i tuned it timed it with no change,so i have changed the rotor,the cap,fuel pump, checked for vacuum leaks with no change . engine will idle ok ( no tack ) i guess around 1200 rpm but stalls when put in gear at idle , if i rev the engine it will move but dies as the rpm drops. please any more suggestions would be a help thanks much RV

])
Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I've had torque converter/transmission do the same thing before. Assuming that not the problem, you need to check a few other things first.

Do you have the original points distributor or HEI?

First check the vacuum advance to make sure it's working properly.

If it's HEI, check the timing again and insure it's set at app. 10-12 degrees BTDC at idle. Then increase the rpms and check that the total advance is about 30-35 give or take and see if that helps.

If it's non HEI then do the same thing but use the actual spec setting for initial timing. Don't forget to plug the line from the carb to vacuum advance.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
truckdude239

sounds like the torque Converter is not releasing at idle

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
WTexChevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
sounds like the torque Converter is not releasing at idle
I agree! Put the rear of the truck on jack stands and start it. If it idles and the wheels turn, you've found your problem. If it's a lock up convertor, it's may just be a bad torque convertor solenoid in the transmission.
WTexChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Russ V

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTexChevy View Post
I agree! Put the rear of the truck on jack stands and start it. If it idles and the wheels turn, you've found your problem. If it's a lock up convertor, it's may just be a bad torque convertor solenoid in the transmission.
thanks for the info will try if i find its the converter what do i do ????
Old 02-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Russ V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I've had torque converter/transmission do the same thing before. Assuming that not the problem, you need to check a few other things first.

Do you have the original points distributor or HEI?

First check the vacuum advance to make sure it's working properly.

If it's HEI, check the timing again and insure it's set at app. 10-12 degrees BTDC at idle. Then increase the rpms and check that the total advance is about 30-35 give or take and see if that helps.

If it's non HEI then do the same thing but use the actual spec setting for initial timing. Don't forget to plug the line from the carb to vacuum advance.
thanks i will check it has a HEI its about 25 temp. here so i'll be a few days befor i can try thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Russ V

Thumbs up Re: still have engin problems

Quote:
well i tried what you suggested. jacked it up started it let it warm up put it in gear ran just fine when i put on the brakes it stalled did this severl times same thing . so i would guess its the torque convertor. some facts the trany is out of a 77 chevelle inline 6 , pulled trany drained & changed filter,trany had only 40 k on it,reassembled it with the right fly wheel and mounted to my 283, is there any easy out of this or do i have to pull the trany ,i have limited equpt. and am working on a gravel floor. hope by the beginning of next week it will be over 40 degrees up here. thanks much for the help RV
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Russ V

Quote:
sorry i'm still learning how to navigate this site . iguess its the torque conv. it runs in gear with the wheels in the air ,but stalls when i apply the brake.i guess there is no easy way out of this .if i must drop the trany thinking of putting a 3 or 4 sp. back in , any thoughts on this.thanks for your help.RV
Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
cableguy0

I seriously doubt its a torque converter issue. Unless its a lockup torque converter its not possible for it to stall the engine.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
jonabalco

jack the idle up a little a and see what happens when u put it into gear but do it on an open street if it just take off it's the torque converter !!
jonabalco is offline   Reply With Quote