The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2020, 12:14 AM   #1
chevy71super

1982 Camaro Z28

A female friend of ours has a 1982 Camaro Z28 she bought new. The car has been in Southern California all its life, no apparent rust and garaged for the past 25 years. It is mostly original, 305 V8, 4 speed manual transmission with around 128K total miles. Engine has been recently rebuilt with a new clutch. Starts without hesitation and runs and drives good. The interior has been refreshed, recovered seats, new headliner, etc.

It has not been abused or raced. She said it was in one minor accident years ago but retains the original hood and fenders. The car wears its original paint and stripes and needs to be repainted after abuse from the California sun. (Gray in color.) Overall a good car looking for a second owner who will repaint and drive it.

Haggerty has the value around $8,500 (number 3 condition). What do you think? Not many Camaros of this vintage around that haven't been totally abused. Thanks.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: 1982 Camaro Z28

It would be a hard pass over 5k for me.
Why?
SBC will go to 200k with just valve seals, why was this one rebuilt?
Garaged 25 years but needs paint?
headliner I can understand, but needed seats recovered?
Crossfire motor!
Sounds like this car was abused.

Comparable-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Chevro...etpar&LH_BIN=1

1984 Z28 already painted
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Chevro...eqiIe&LH_BIN=1
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
chevy71super

Re: 1982 Camaro Z28

Thank you for your input. I agree these cars are not worth much in the market place. In response to a few of the points you brought up. First the car has not been abused. I know the woman who owns it, known the car for many years and she takes care of her cars. The engine is a TPI 305 which I believe is the older style two piece main seal. Good motor but Chevy’s quality control wasn’t the best in the early 80’s. Every car is different.

My next point is the comparison to a freshly painted car in New Jersey to a one owner Southern California car with original graphics and a 1988 convertible with 8 owners with FOOS wheels in Florida. At the same price I would take the one owner So Cal car every time. Even if it needs fresh paint. What you see is what you get with original paint and rust isn’t an issue So Cal compared to Jersey or most anywhere on the east coast. (Rust is not unheard of in So Cal but this car is clean.) I'll also take a 4 speed car over an automatic. They are worth more of this vintage.

My last point is on the paint. Arizona sun destroys paint, so does So Cal sun. My 2003 Silverado is shedding its clear coat like a molting snake and it has been garaged most of its life. My son drove it to high school and in three years the paint started to deteriorate. This car was a daily driver for many years and was in the sun while she was at work.

The bottom line is you may not be all that wrong on the value but please don't discredit the car If you don't personally know the car.

Last edited by chevy71super; 05-14-2020 at 02:16 PM.
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote