The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #1
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Energy Suspension Body Kit

Anybody running the cab and core support mounts? They appear to be less expensive than the stock units.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #2
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I have the body mount's in poly on my blazer and would not run anything else just me 2 cent's worth...
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #3
FirstGen
Just Don't Stop!

where is a good place to buy those mounts?
Old 06-22-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

WWW.SUMMITRACING.COM
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 12:30 AM   #5
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Thanks guys. That is all I need to hear about them. I am going to order some tonight. I guess it will be a couple more days before I can do the trial fit of the cab...I will have to wait for UPS...LOL!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:45 AM   #6
JIMs70GMC
user # 2756

I have the prothane ones on both my trucks. Bought them from JCWhitney. I recommend replacing your existing hardware also. The prothane kit comes w/ the rear bolt/nut.
1986 M1031 6.2 diesel, TH400/NP205 locker in the rear and a LS in the front, all stock for now.....
1986 K30, 350/400/205 dana 60 and 14 bolt. I kept the drivetrain. Body/bad and chassis are gone.
1981 K30, 350/465/205 dana 60 and dually 14 bolt. Has a G80, and a flat bed. Going to replace the flat bed.

1985 K20, 350/400/208 10 bolt and SF 14 bolt. I wonder where I can find some 1 tons. Hmmmmm
JIMs70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Just a thought here. Urithane body mount kits take all the flexabillity out of these trucks that they were designed to have. These trucks do not have rigid frames, they are "C" channel frames designed to flex and bend acording to the terrain. This is why the frames are riveted and bolted together and not welded. Rivets and bolts alow for flexabillity and so do rubber body mounts. On the other hand, the cabs and individual body parts are welded together and can not withstand the flexing the chassis is designed to withstand. The rubber body mounts allow the frame to move indipendantly from the body, and also absorb vibrations from the road. The end result is going to be rattling cabs at best and bushings pulling through their mounts at worst. I would think long and hard befor I stick a set of the urithane mounts under one of my trucks. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:43 AM   #8
Classic Heartbeat

By the way, can anyone tell me the advantages urithane body mounts have, besides they may be a little cheaper? I hear that they may last a little longer. But either one of these advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages. Do they make the truck handle better? I don't think so because they are not suspention related. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 06-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #9
Dean

And I'm not so sure they last longer either. I put urethane body mounts on my blue K20 and three of them have went bad in 10 years. The truck also doesn't flex. I noticed I have another one that is coming apart right now under the cab.

I agree with Wes, I put the stock rubber mounts on my latest green one. The original ones were 33 years old and still looked good.

Just my two cents.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #10
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WES
By the way, can anyone tell me the advantages urithane body mounts have, besides they may be a little cheaper? I hear that they may last a little longer. But either one of these advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages. Do they make the truck handle better? I don't think so because they are not suspention related. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
When I drop the hammer, & start pounding 6 gears that old longhorn goes a lot straighter with urathane bushings The ride is stiffer, that is noticeable.....but she is a street toy. I dont think urathane is the answer for a 4x4 that needs to flex off road,or a truck that will haul a heavy load on a reg basis, but for my useage it shouldnt be a problem. price was not the big issue for me, the longhorn has a steel tilt nose, & those rubber bushings let the cab "dance "around on the frame with the clutch....you didnt know for sure where that clutch would engage! prob solved, after the urathane bushing install. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 06-23-2004, 07:31 PM   #11
jorgensensc

I also have Poly bushings on my truck, and I am happy with them. I do believe the ride to be a little stiffer, but not terrible. Wes, what you said does make sense though, but If the truck is more of a street truck, wouldn't you want a stiffer chassis? Isn't that why we put sway bars on? I too can see the benefit of rubber on an offroad truck, but on a street driven truck, what's the harm? I hope I'm not sounding like I'm attacking anyone, just trying to voice my opinion.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE

Last edited by jorgensensc; 06-23-2004 at 07:32 PM. Reason: can't type or spell apparently.
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:05 PM   #12
Vince M

I ordered mine from AutoZone. Looked up all the part numbers and pricing on line. Summit and others were cheaper on some but with the shipping costs AutoZone turned out to be cheaper. I just went into my local store..gave them the part numbers and picked up the parts within two days. No shipping.

Oh yeah....I got mine in all red and Summit and others didn't show these part numbers.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:30 PM   #13
Classic Heartbeat

crazy longhorn, I am just curiouse as to how poly body mount bushings help you launch straiter. Does the cab and radiator core support stiffin up the frame. I can understand how poly motor mounts would be help keep the engine from flexing, somehow changing the angles on your clutch linkage, but how do the body mount bushings help? jorgensensc, I don't think that you are attacking anyone. You are right urithane bushings would not harm a street truck nearly as bad as an off roader or heavy hauler. However, just because it is a street truck doesn't mean that it doesn't flex. There are speed bumps, ramps into stores, uneven road surfaces, uneven parking lots, and etc. A truck does lots of flexing wether or not it is on the road or off. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #14
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WES
crazy longhorn, I am just curiouse as to how poly body mount bushings help you launch straiter. Does the cab and radiator core support stiffin up the frame. I can understand how poly motor mounts would be help keep the engine from flexing, somehow changing the angles on your clutch linkage, but how do the body mount bushings help? jorgensensc, I don't think that you are attacking anyone. You are right urithane bushings would not harm a street truck nearly as bad as an off roader or heavy hauler. However, just because it is a street truck doesn't mean that it doesn't flex. There are speed bumps, ramps into stores, uneven road surfaces, uneven parking lots, and etc. A truck does lots of flexing wether or not it is on the road or off. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Yes, that missing rad support(not tied to the cab) does pose a problem on these old trucks. I should go back just a bit tho....the crosssills on the box of the longhorn are 2x3x 1/8" wall rectangle tubing, the end sill is a 3x3, with a couple 2x2's & a 1x2 over the axle.....every tube is tied together front to back with a short section of 2x2 (welded tight). that made a big difference in handling, & the urathane bushings just put the "icing" on the situation. That old truck will run 100 mph in 4th gear @ around 6200 revs, & haze the hides pulling 5th @ that speed(thats when you know you like a d@mn straight ride!). As I said, money was not the issue, but a fix to a couple problems.....if i felt that rubber would work better for me , I would have spent twice the cash . for the run of the mill resto, rebuild, ect(ecspecially 4x4), rubber might be the best answer. what the heck, it sounds like several guys like the urathanes.....stock a few sets, & tell the guys what you think about them.....you will probably still sell a few sets)(some of us need to find out the hard way ) myself included! I just feel that they work best for my useage crazyL, rowin "6", & swearin that i earned all these grey hairs....
Old 06-23-2004, 10:27 PM   #15
Classic Heartbeat

It sounds like you stiffened your frame. In the instance where a frame does not flex, poly wouldn't do any harm because there isn't any independant movement between the chassis and body. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Like Us on Facebook
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
Old 06-23-2004, 11:22 PM   #16
crazy longhorn

yes, the addition of the heavy cross sills on the box did effectively stiffen the frame(I think). the truck is much firmer to ride in, But not a complaint. if I jack up 1 corner, she still flexes somewhat, just not like factory. The old wood floor boxes IMO , had more flex than the steel floor versions. I still need a little help up front, but i think a good swaybar & bushings will help. I sure do agree that the stiffer cab bushings may not be for every build, just a matter of useage crazyL