The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
54Caddy
GM Addicted

Cool cpp control arms vs ride tech vs porterbuilt

Is any one running the totally tubular control arms. I am debating between the ride tech control arms, cpps totally tubular, and porterbuilt arms. I am wanting to know if any of these arms will work with 3 inch drop spindle. Also with these arms what kind of stabilizer bar are you guys running. Thanks for any info you guys have.

Brandon

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
PBFAB.COM

Re: cpp control arms vs ride tech vs porterbuilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Caddy View Post
Is any one running the totally tubular control arms. I am debating between the ride tech control arms, cpps totally tubular, and porterbuilt arms. I am wanting to know if any of these arms will work with 3 inch drop spindle. Also with these arms what kind of stabilizer bar are you guys running. Thanks for any info you guys have.

Brandon
Our arms are compatible with a 3" drop spindle... as well as the other two brands you have listed.

What are you looking to achieve? What are your plans for the suspension/truck? The main differences between our arms and the others are that our arms use delrin bushings, and they also have approx. 1/2 inch more drop built into them than the ART arms.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
BossHogg69
motor exploder

I'm running CPP tubular A-arms, CPP 2.5" dropped spindle, CPP 2" dropped spring and CPP sway bar. With the brands you mentioned, you really can't go wrong, they are all very nice pieces.

I also have a Porterbuilt Adjustable Trailing Arm crossmember, fwiw...

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
54Caddy
GM Addicted

the set up will be something simple for the time being. Up front i will use the plates and bags i had asked you about with 3 inch drop spindles and a set of tubular control arms. In the rear i will run ridetech's air over leaf system with a bolt in c notch and will try to lay out on the notch. The reason for the tubular control arms is because i like the look they have extra drop built into them and the clearance for the rims compare as to using stock control arms and having to trim them off a lot i plan on running stock 15s for a while till i can afford either 18s or 20s

Old 11-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
54Caddy
GM Addicted

so no one on here has the cpp arms at all??

Old 11-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
mac72

I'm running cpp lowers with a suicide doors crossmember.Ordered them without doing some research & realized they wont work w/ airlift 2600's.Had to sw. to 2500's in the front & they barely fit.For the record this was not a design fault,they are pretty good quality pieces for the price their just made to run a smaller bag.They have the factory swaybar spacing.
mac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
c10seconds

Im using cpp uppers and lowers along with their 2'' modular spindle and sway bar. The bags im wanting to use are the ones in the pic. Slam Specialties 7's. As you can see the bag is bolted in place and there isnt that much room. Ive seen the same bag in a PB arm and there is a huge difference in area for larger bags. The cpp arms are very nice IMO but i guess it all depends on which bags you plan on using.
Attached Images

Last edited by c10seconds; 11-17-2010 at 03:05 PM.
c10seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
54Caddy
GM Addicted

looks like cpp arms are out of the picture for me i will be running slam specialties ss 7 bags up front im sure they will not clear like the ones pictured. so now its between the ride tech and porterbuilt arms. Guys running porterbuilts what are you running as far as a sway bar goes??

Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
looks like cpp arms are out of the picture for me i will be running slam specialties ss 7 bags up front im sure they will not clear like the ones pictured. so now its between the ride tech and porterbuilt arms. Guys running porterbuilts what are you running as far as a sway bar goes??
We run a 1.25" OD bar.... give me a buzz and I will make you a pretty sweet package deal.

Nate

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 11-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
tech@scottshotrods

Best advice I can give is there all quality arms, I working for Air Ride/ Ride Tech for so long could be bias and say Air Ride but.... Yes Air Ride has done there home work and will work great, but so will Porter Builts and I'm sure CPPs, what it comes down to when dealing with said reputable companies would be who gives you the best service followed by price.
tech@scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
lowdownstar
big guy

I would or should i say i did, put my money on Nathan's at porter built and i have never looked back! He has the best customer service i have ever seen or dealt with. Just my 2cents

Ray
lowdownstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #12
mac72

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdownstar View Post
I would or should i say i did, put my money on Nathan's at porter built and i have never looked back! He has the best customer service i have ever seen or dealt with. Just my 2cents

Ray
Yeah I second that Ray.Everytime I try to save a little cash it ends up biting me in the _ss!!! Should have gone the same route.I know in the end I wont be happy w/ the 2500's I'll end up selling the cpp's & getting SD's or porterbuilts
Mac
mac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
2wd73blazer

Has anyone run the swaybar off a 2nd gen 4x4 S10? Suicide Doors says you can run it with their crossmember and control arms. I was in the junk yard today and looked at them. It is one beefy looking sway bar. Are they compatible with porterbuilt drop member and arms?
2wd73blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
67cheby
67cheby

Porterbuilt, has the sway bar, i got mine from him, very nice piece
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
54Caddy
GM Addicted

any pictures or his sway bar??

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
any pictures or his sway bar??
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=406070&page=8

post #195

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #17
54Caddy
GM Addicted

that sway bar is a beast nate! every get the quote all set it give me a call when you have it thanks man.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:40 AM   #18
PCHRODS

Quote:
so no one on here has the cpp arms at all??
We had the CPP arms on our 69 Chevy Truck, and we took them off, with them buried against the frame with no shims we only 0 deg of camber, great for street driving, but not so good for performance or handling. We recently switched over the the Hotchkis Suspension arms, which are by far the best in my opinion. It also centers the wheel in the front wheel well which is a must on these trucks because they kinda look off in the stock location. And the handleing is "unmatched" to others out there. Here check out this link and you can see some pics of the truck and the suspension

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...hevy-c-10.aspx
PCHRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHRODS View Post
..... We recently switched over the the Hotchkis Suspension arms, which are by far the best in my opinion...... And the handleing is "unmatched" to others out there. Here check out this link and you can see some pics of the truck and the suspension.
Nice article Rob, thanks for sharing. Since you have had more than one suspension set up on your truck, please discuss your findings.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #20
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHRODS View Post
We had the CPP arms on our 69 Chevy Truck, and we took them off, with them buried against the frame with no shims we only 0 deg of camber, great for street driving, but not so good for performance or handling. We recently switched over the the Hotchkis Suspension arms, which are by far the best in my opinion. It also centers the wheel in the front wheel well which is a must on these trucks because they kinda look off in the stock location. And the handleing is "unmatched" to others out there. Here check out this link and you can see some pics of the truck and the suspension

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...hevy-c-10.aspx
Wow, that truck looks incredible. Nice work.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #21
CPPJEFF
Account Suspended

Just like most said above we make a killer arm but it really depends on what your actually after. Great topic!! We have some great deals on arms right now if anyone needs a set!!
CPPJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #22
PCHRODS

Cool Re: cpp control arms vs ride tech vs porterbuilt vs. hotchkis

Let me start out by saying, I am not going to put anyones product down, every vendor in this thread that has been mentioned, builds some really nice products, some of which i have not used. And each manufacturer has there own intentions on what their suspension is designed for, Some primarily go for ride height, some for ride, some for looks, and some for all. Now our truck has what I think is the best of all worlds " in my eyes" Not everyone likes my truck and not everyone thinks that racing a truck like ours is Mentally stable.... But I built the truck to achieve the things that I wanted it to, when we first built it in 07 we had CPP upper and lower arms in front, which were a drastic improvement over stock, allowing us to lower the truck and still keep the alignment in factory spec. Which was great! We used Early Classic Enterprises Big Block 2"drop springs, they are the only ones i could find that offered a drop spring for a big block with the correct spring rates, We also used Early Classic Enterprises Trans Crossmember, and Extreme Drop Rear Cross member and their trailing arms and rear springs, with the super track bar and shock relocation brackets. My primary reasoning for choosing all the ECC products, is mainly for the fact that we wanted the chassis to look as "stock" as possible, and ECC's crossmember are beefy strong, and I was really pleased with the asthetics of their products, it tucked everything up inside the frame rails which gives the truck a really clean look. We are throwing 640HP and 650 FT TQ at this stuff and the last thing i want was something to break or bend. Now here's for the fun part, earlier this year we started auto crossing and road racing our truck, which at first i was skeptical, but our 4280 lb monster did quite well, our first run out placed 2nd, not bad for a rookie.

When we started racing the truck it had all the components listed above. But as we got faster and the tires got bigger and stickier, the suspension wasn't able to keep up with what "we" needed. So we knocked on the door of Hotchkis Suspension. Why? Because Hotchkis builds Complete suspension kits a.k.a Total Vehicle Systems, with one thing in mind HANDLING!! Ride height and ride quality come with the kit too for free, the money is in the performance. We upgraded upper and lower arms,center link, sway bars, shock relocation brackets, and the track bar. We added a few of our own products to up the anty to their kit,(which isn't necessary but we wanted to be able to fine tune it for different tracks) AFCO double adjustable shocks, and an AGR Quick Ratio Steering box. Let me also add this, The hotchkis kit is not a race only suspension, it performs top notch on and off the track, i wouldn't hesitate to drive my truck from here to florida and back and hit every race track in between. Now here's an example of how the improvement overall was better. At the events we go to there are some purpose built race/street cars there primarily some gnarly camaros that give me goose bumps to say the least. We used to be a good 4 seconds slower on the courses then them, now some of them we are faster than, and a couple we will probably spend the rest of eterity chasing but we are only a second away from some of the best autocross cars out there. But to shave off 3-4 seconds on an autocross track is huge, and not easy. We spend all day tuning to shave off tenths, but with the Hotchkis TVS, it chewed off seconds!! I haven't driven a C-10 that will out handle our truck. I am not saying this to be arogant or push the Hotchkis Brand.You asked me for my opinion on what works and why. I have had this truck since 1996 and and it's had some serious overhauls and mods done to it, but i can honestly say when it comes to the chassis, it's done, it doesn't really get any better than where it's at now. I encourage anyone to show me up and prove me wrong, I don't claim to know everything or to be the best at anything. But I do claim to try my best at everything I know. I guess that's my two cents.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #23
jimmydean

Hearing about a classic at an autocross made me think of this:

I want to see what it would do with the shorter wheelbase on bags.

<Edit> For those who don't know, that's Frizzle Fry before he cut his burb up.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210

Last edited by jimmydean; 12-15-2010 at 05:55 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #24
PCHRODS

Here's one of our truck at OUSCI 2010 ( Optima ultimate street car invitational)

Old 12-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #25
Alvin
Never Done?

Whoa! Okay, that's pretty dang impressive.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote