The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2019, 03:06 AM   #1
Freddo

Engine has a cough

I recently gave my 67 a tuneup. Its the first tuneup I have given it in the 6 years I’ve owned it. (I put 1,000 miles +/- each year on it.)
It has a 283 with a Edelbrock 750 cfm carb. (Yes, ridiculously oversized, but it is what it came with & it’s on my list to change...it just seems like something more urgent always comes along.)
All in all, it has previously run well and idled evenly. Right after my tuneup, it developed an intermittent ‘cough’. It doesn’t cough when it is sitting still and I rev up the engine, it does it while I am moving. It seems to happen after it has warmed up and mostly when I am accelerating between 2,000 & 3,000 rpm. When I am accelerating & it coughs, I let of the gas a little bit and it seems to get better, but as I accelerate, it will cough again. When it coughs, the whole truck bucks. It has an auto transmission & a couple of times when it started to cough, I downshifted to 2nd(from drive) & once it was at about 3500 rpm, it seemed to do better, but it has also coughed above 3,000 rpm, so I’m not sure if that means anything.
My tuneup consisted of a compression test,(ranging between 125-145 lbs), a fuel filter, new points, condensor, rotor, cap, plugs & wires. I know there is a wide variation of quality in parts & I have read about problems with crummy parts on the board. My parts were mainly Delcos from Rock Auto. I gapped the plugs at .035 and did the best I could to get the points installed. (The last points I installed were 40 years ago on a Plymouth...this is my first Chev smallblock) I had to screw in the points a ways to get it to a 30 degree dwell, but it is steady at 30.

I have to think that something I did in my tuneup is what caused this because my truck ran just fine before the tuneup, but I am not sure what it is. Sorry about the lengthy post but I wanted to give you as much information as I could in the hopes that you might have some suggestions.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by Freddo; 11-18-2019 at 03:14 AM.
Freddo is offline   Reply With Quote