The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #51
gearys 5600

Re: Why a 2 piece driveshaft?

I have a one piece shaft in my static dropped yellow 69, No problems, I had a local driveshaft shop build mine.

1969 custom/10 swb--SOLD
1968 swb 50th anniv.--SOLD
1967 camaro ss/rs..LS-6-speed, 16-year long project
1956 chevy nomad
1955 chevy 210 2-dr sedan
1978 el-camino ss 1-owner
gearys 5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #52
pritch

I thought about converting to a one-piece, but then I decided, why re-invent the wheel? It seems to me if I had to get a larger diameter, I would maybe run into clearance issues where it passes through the member that the trailing arms are connected to.

But I've always had one nagging question about two (or more) piece shafts. Does the carrier bearing(s) ever interfere with the movement of the yoke in the transmission? It looks to me like the carrier bearing is solid, I mean, not intended to have any give, so as the rear end travels up and down, forcing front and back movement onto the driveshaft, does it bind up at the carrier bearing?
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #53
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
I thought about converting to a one-piece, but then I decided, why re-invent the wheel? It seems to me if I had to get a larger diameter, I would maybe run into clearance issues where it passes through the member that the trailing arms are connected to.

But I've always had one nagging question about two (or more) piece shafts. Does the carrier bearing(s) ever interfere with the movement of the yoke in the transmission? It looks to me like the carrier bearing is solid, I mean, not intended to have any give, so as the rear end travels up and down, forcing front and back movement onto the driveshaft, does it bind up at the carrier bearing?
I have not looked at a 2 pc shaft in a while, but isnt the splined part of the front section that goes into the carrier bearing supposed to slide in and out with rear axle movement?
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #54
70blackfish

my 70 chevy swb had a 2 piece with a stock 350 and turbo 400 trans.

it would shift hard, I replaced that center support all the time. (hated it!)

my 69 gmc swb 6 cyl. has a 1 piece...
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #55
Shyguy

Here is another reason for a two piece drive shaft, if you have a SM-420 or SM-465 transmission they do not have a slip joint so the two piece is necessary to take up for the movement of the driveshaft when the suspension flexes.

Just another bit of info.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #56
long67

Not all carrier bearings are splined. Mine is solid. the bearing is pressed on the drive shaft behind the yoke that connects the two shafts. really does not allow for much movement.
96 mustang
11 dodge nitro
long67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #57
69GWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
Here is another reason for a two piece drive shaft, if you have a SM-420 or SM-465 transmission they do not have a slip joint so the two piece is necessary to take up for the movement of the driveshaft when the suspension flexes.

Just another bit of info.
My 69 has a sm-465 wi5h a one piece shaft, but its a 4wd and the shaft has a built in slip joint.. . Just thought I would throw that info out there..
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #58
midniteblues

I've never owned a lwb truck(except s10 and parts trucks) but I had swb's with both shafts and never understood why they came both ways either
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #59
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by long67 View Post
Not all carrier bearings are splined. Mine is solid. the bearing is pressed on the drive shaft behind the yoke that connects the two shafts. really does not allow for much movement.
I build driveshafts for a living.

The carrier bearing you are talking about allows for plenty of movement, trailing arm trucks Don't need much slip as the rear end doesn't move straight up and down, it swings in an arc very simmilar to the driveshaft.

I build one piece driveshafts for swb and lwb trucks like ours pretty frequently and have never had an issue. I would never attempt modifying a shaft at home especially the way the guys on hot rod tv did it.

Remember to have your driveshafts ballanced guys and gals. Its a lot cheaper than a new trans tailhousing.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #60
ERASER5

My '71 Chevy has the tear "drop" type of carrier like most people talk about.

My '70 GMC has a differnent carrier. The bearing is just a standard bearing like you could get at any bearing supply house. there is a rubber doughnut that goes over the bearing. There are 2 large clam shells the encase the bearing/doughnut. This thing is stout. I should get some pictures of it as I have never seen another one, but surely there are out there.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #61
67chevemall

67 stepside with stock one piece shaft. 6cly 3 on the tree....
67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #62
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_man_72 View Post

The carrier bearing you are talking about allows for plenty of movement, trailing arm trucks Don't need much slip as the rear end doesn't move straight up and down, it swings in an arc very simmilar to the driveshaft.

I build one piece driveshafts for swb and lwb trucks like ours pretty frequently and have never had an issue. I would never attempt modifying a shaft at home especially the way the guys on hot rod tv did it.

Remember to have your driveshafts ballanced guys and gals. Its a lot cheaper than a new trans tailhousing.
Posted via Mobile Device
That certainly makes sense.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #63
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERASER5 View Post
My '71 Chevy has the tear "drop" type of carrier like most people talk about.

My '70 GMC has a differnent carrier. The bearing is just a standard bearing like you could get at any bearing supply house. there is a rubber doughnut that goes over the bearing. There are 2 large clam shells the encase the bearing/doughnut. This thing is stout. I should get some pictures of it as I have never seen another one, but surely there are out there.
Those are pretty uncommon, may have been a 3/4+ ton thing or a leaf spring truck thing. I know I've only seen a half dozen or so in the last 5 years.

A lot of prople think the car style or teardrop style carrier bearings are weak. Carrier bearings don't just fail, our 2 piece driveshafts can very easily be reassembled incorrectly, changing the timing of the bolt on yoke or putting the rear shaft in 180* out or even backwards will cause a vibration. Many people just think old trucks are supposed to have some vibrations and are completely unaware of why ther carrier bearing fails 3 times a year, some even go out and buy one of those fancy billet/poly supports instead of fixing the real problem, an out of phase and or ballance issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #64
long67

Originally Posted by brad_man_72

Posted via Mobile Device

That makes sense, I have replaced it twice, last time because the housing broke. First time because of bearing.
96 mustang
11 dodge nitro
long67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #65
ERASER5

Brad man, The '70 is a GMC, so it has leaf springs, but is still a 1/2 ton. As for the"weak" factory tear drop carrier, I believe you are right on the money. Those things servived 30 years, then suddenly they are weak junk. I doubt it. Other factors are more likely involved, just like you mentioned.

I like to draw/scribe a line so I can match the orientaion back up. But that's just me.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #66
Builtbychevy

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
I have a stock height '71 LWB. I was looking to go to the 1 piece without modifying the crossmember and without lowering the truck. Do you recall any modifications or diameter etc?
Builtbychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #67
hardwaycooke

Contemplated trying to get a 1 piece made for my 500hp longbed. After much discussion with reputable drive shaft shops and a couple my buddies who build high end pro stock engines for a living , I decided to keep my 2 piece, get it balanced, get new heavy duty u-joints and a new improved yoke to handle my needs. I love it. It does not wobble, rattle, shake, etc...oh, and a new carrier. Much cheaper than having one built ad probably much smarter.
15x8/15x16.5 MT Radials
B&M Pro Shifter
Truck Name- Spike
hardwaycooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #68
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builtbychevy View Post
I have a stock height '71 LWB. I was looking to go to the 1 piece without modifying the crossmember and without lowering the truck. Do you recall any modifications or diameter etc?
3.5" diameter tubing will fit through the crossmember. Id worry about the shaft hitting the bottom of the crossmember at stock ride height.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 08-16-2015, 02:12 AM   #69
Mike_The_Grad

Quote:
3.5" diameter tubing will fit through the crossmember. Id worry about the shaft hitting the bottom of the crossmember at stock ride height.

I've been searching the forums for a lil over an hour,and I still have not found an answer to what I believe is a relatively easy scenario....how do I reengage the driveshaft to transmission once the engine and transmission have been reinstalled in the vehicle,without removing the entire assembly? I know this may not be the correct thread but direction is welcomed.. Thanks in advance.
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #70
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
I've been searching the forums for a lil over an hour,and I still have not found an answer to what I believe is a relatively easy scenario....how do I reengage the driveshaft to transmission once the engine and transmission have been reinstalled in the vehicle,without removing the entire assembly? I know this may not be the correct thread but direction is welcomed.. Thanks in advance.
Put the driveshaft in trans yoke first, then pinion yoke. If its a 2 piece then you set truck to ride height then tighten bolts on center support bearing.
28, model a rpu project,
Old 07-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #71
2009kvfd976

i have a 68 lwb with a 350/th700. engine is bone stock crate goodwrench but will get vortec heads, xe268 or thumpr cam, headers, performer intake and 600 carb. trans will be swapped for a 700r4 and rear gears will have 3.42 and eaton tru trac locker. will i be able to have a 1pc drive shaft made? or a 1pc shaft from like a 90 gmc 2wd lwb? it currently has a 2 pc shaft...
2009kvfd976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #72
mike16

engineers do things for a reason. may be they study the tea leaves or cat guts on the highway. long drive shafts can get whippy at speed. also remember that drive shaft angle can change based on loads. I dont know but i'm betty on the cat gut theory
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #73
Mike_The_Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
engineers do things for a reason. may be they study the tea leaves or cat guts on the highway. long drive shafts can get whippy at speed. also remember that drive shaft angle can change based on loads. I dont know but i'm betty on the cat gut theory
I had forgotten I was subbed to this thread, how strange I was notified of an update to this thread at the same time I'm facing a 2 piece driveshaft dilemma on my '72 custom/10 LWB with factory overload rear leaf suspension. I had removed the driveshaft a couple years ago to rebuild the 350 sbc, I had to remove the actual center bearing support bracket from the frame in order to remove the driveshaft. Now I can't remember which of the two 4-bolt bracket mounting locations (heightwise) is the correct one for my vehicle. I do have the factory assembly manual and it does not define which of the two is correct. It does differentiate between the two based on RPO#'s but only for 1968 vehicles, with no mention anywhere else in the entire book of any other production years.
Picture for reference and clarification on which holes I'm referring to.
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Old 07-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #74
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_The_Grad View Post
I had forgotten I was subbed to this thread, how strange I was notified of an update to this thread at the same time I'm facing a 2 piece driveshaft dilemma on my '72 custom/10 LWB with factory overload rear leaf suspension. I had removed the driveshaft a couple years ago to rebuild the 350 sbc, I had to remove the actual center bearing support bracket from the frame in order to remove the driveshaft. Now I can't remember which of the two 4-bolt bracket mounting locations (heightwise) is the correct one for my vehicle. I do have the factory assembly manual and it does not define which of the two is correct. It does differentiate between the two based on RPO#'s but only for 1968 vehicles, with no mention anywhere else in the entire book of any other production years.
Picture for reference and clarification on which holes I'm referring to.
all kidding aside. looking at your cross member it is covered with a lite suface rust except where the carrier bearing mounting brackets attach. the carrier bearing mounting brackets covered and protected the paint under the mounting brakets. That would be a clue as to where the brackets origonally mounted. Hpe that helps.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #75
Mike_The_Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
all kidding aside. looking at your cross member it is covered with a lite suface rust except where the carrier bearing mounting brackets attach. the carrier bearing mounting brackets covered and protected the paint under the mounting brakets. That would be a clue as to where the brackets origonally mounted. Hpe that helps.
I agree. I had tried both mounting locations at one time with no noticeable difference. I think the difference comes into play as the suspension travels. I just don't want to pick the wrong one and have the rear of the transmission beat up or have my pinion bearing take a beating either. Does anyone know how to determine which location is correct?

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad