The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Thadious

s10 exhaust...

Alright... getting back on track from some recent events in life... I've ordered the stainless 2.25" sections for a dual exhaust with crossover and trying my damndest to find a set of headers that will work on an S10 V8 SBC setup.

I've got about 3.5" between the heads and the intermediate shaft and the Headman S10 V8 headers make me nervous... any vibration on the motor and the seals on the heads are gonna get broken.

What I'm looking for is a set of headers that are VERY close to the block (block huggers won't work due to the dump being right on the rear of the upper control arms). Does anyone know of a manufacturer that sells a set the will fit, prefer long tubes, but not critical, or am I going to be stuck using a set of cast stock manifolds (anyone have any good stories of porting them out?).

Thanks kindly,
Ted.

PS Already checked out the Sanderson casts QP1000(?)... they'll work, but not the prettiest IMO.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: s10 exhaust...

Most of the ones I saw are cut and modified to clear the steering. No one really had a good one. We used rear dump cast from a 73-87 truck on ours.

I work in OE exhaust and don't really care that much for headers. They tend to rust out or leak faster than they are worth in my opinion. I'd rather have a good system that will last over 10 hp.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
BlueJeep

If you end up looking at manifolds, LT-1 camaro manifolds are pretty high and dump at the back.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
T Hilde

There is an old t-bucket trick, might work. Take the ram horn manifolds mill them so the will hug the block.
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Thadious

Anyone ever try using the new True Rams Horn ones? I've noticed that they tend to dump (or look like it anyways) a little closer to the block. I've got a set of the smaller outlet ones and they're pretty close to the control arms and worried they might melt the polyurethane bushings. Haven't looked at the ones with the curved tails though... so not sure if they will work either.

Cheers,
Ted.

PS I've even gone so far as to consider making my own set with extruded 90's off the start and going to a tri-y configuration, all in stainless, but worried about plug clearance...

Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
1952ssr

I used headers from KMJ performance, I got the chrome ones on sale for $100 bucks. I did have to modify them but I was pleased with how they turned out. I would go about the mods a little different if I could do it again. I like the fact they have a 3/8 flange so they will stay true when you weld on them. The first picture is one of the forums other guys using them and kicked the shaft to the left considerately, mine is mounted in the factory hole.
Attached Images

1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

True rams horns dumped mine right into the frame by the A arm. No room there. I like SSRs and have seen them moved like that. Just make sure you can get your steering shaft apart!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Thadious

Don't the SSRs have LT1 or LS1 bolt pattern? If so... won't work, I'm using vortec heads... sigh...

Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadious View Post
Don't the SSRs have LT1 or LS1 bolt pattern? If so... won't work, I'm using vortec heads... sigh...
I think he meant 1952ssr. LT1's have the same manifold bolt patterns as the SBC, and I think the old (96-99) vortecs too. I have LT1 Corvette manifolds on my TBI motor in my Jeep.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #10
BigDan3131

hmmm...These are all S-10 headers:http://www.jegs.com/p/Hedman/Hedman-...44783/10002/-1

And these:http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers...07#moreDetails in Black Paint

Or in Ceramic:http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers...07#moreDetails

I'm sure you should be able to find something in these lists otherwise you are moving into the custom made set.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
1952ssr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
I think he meant 1952ssr. LT1's have the same manifold bolt patterns as the SBC, and I think the old (96-99) vortecs too. I have LT1 Corvette manifolds on my TBI motor in my Jeep.
They have same pattern just vortecs/LT1's have the D shaped ports and angle plugs "I think". I also have a '96 chevy truck and was gonna use a set of stock manifolds, but they weren't gonna be any cheaper at a junk yard...so I went with the headers.
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #12
62ChevyII

The first pic that 1952SSR posted is of the headers in my 48. They were headers from late 80's early 90's full sized Chevy trucks.The P side fit awesome but the D side was an issue. I cut about an inch off the tubes where they meet the head then re-welded them. It worked but I had to shove the steering column over quite a bit.

On my 53 I am building now I am going with the S10 V8 headers by Headman. I will position the steering column so it will work. I haven't gotten to that point yet but it looks like it should work a ton better. I just had to cut a small section out of the inner fender which I plan to just make a piece to close it in that clears the header tube. Here's a shot of it as it sits:

Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
Thadious

I've tried the headman headers and although I can get the intermediate shaft through, I have about 1/4" of clearance around it... too close for my liking and I've moved the engine 3 times already... not doing it again... I've looked up the 93 LT1 Camaro/Vette manifolds and found a set for a decent price. I think they'll work and with a little porting may work pretty good. I'll see how it goes. Haven't found a set of headers (other than the Sanderson's) that look like they'll fit and I'm trying to keep from wrapping around the intermediate shaft.

Cheers,
Ted.