The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

honda rear speakers

we just got a 1993 honda accord se, and it has the bose sound system. and I was wondering, are the speakers passive? can I take after market speakers and hook them up or do I need Bose speakers? I am not looking to replace everything just the rear speakers. because they are blown and sound horid! I did notice that there looks to be a amp under the speakers. this is my first honda/import so I know very little about thease things... also the car makes a clunk truning left. not always. and I does it going over bumps. its hard to tell where its coming from it sounds. sometimes it sounds like its coming from the frount and other times sounds like the back. I found out that the car needs a alingment. we just bought new tires last night. I do notice it more when theres more then me in the car. thanks for your help guys.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
Opper77
Ob-Gyn Kenobi

Re: honda rear speakers

The speakers will be just like any other car I'm sure. The Bose may have individual amplifiers for each channel, but I'm sure they won't be mounted on the speaker itself. What you may be seeing is a passive crossover (depending how many wires going to it; I'd guess it should only have 2 wires going to it, but if you see 4 going in, you may be right)

As for the clunking....check the CV's obviously..both my cars were hard on them.

I used to have a firm handle on life....then it broke off.
Opper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
shifty
Questionable

You can plug anything into them. I have the Bose system on my RSX and it's the same deal. Tough part is finding a speaker suited to your car. Crutchfield.com is a great place to order your speakers from - they will pick them based on your car. Shipping and ordering is fast.

I highly suggest a pair of Infinitys to replace your current rear speakers. I would guess they're 5 /14" speakers or 6 1/2" possibly. I would probably go with a standalone woofer or a coaxial pair. I've had good luck with Both Crutchfield and Infinity in the past.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:33 AM   #4
79gmcc15

Great thanks for all your help. everything I have read is that there 6 1/2". I did notice today that there is only 2 wires going to the speaker. do you know if you can replace the "amp" that Boes uses with a A/M type? and whats involved in hooking up a coaxal woofer.. the woofer will have to wait for now. I like base but I dont need alot of it. I just like clear, clean music with the right amout of base. if you know what I mean. thanks again guys

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby

Last edited by 79gmcc15; 11-28-2005 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:14 AM   #5
79gmcc15

also, just because I am new and dont know much about audio. how do you connect speakers that are coaxal to regular 2 wire system? Ive never seen a coaxal system befor so I know nothing in how it hooks up and works. thanks, matt

Old 11-28-2005, 03:55 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

I'm not talking about a subwoofer, i'm talking about a woofer. A 5¼" or 6½" speaker alone is a woofer. A coaxial speaker is a woofer with a tweeter attached (it's wired in a way that you only hook up one wire to give a signal to both speakers ). Then you have triaxial speakers which are a woofer with a tweeter and a midrange on it, typically.

If you order from Crutchfield, they will have all of the speaker adapter rings you will need and they will also have the wiring adapter you need to plug in the speaker (Honda uses custom molded plastic wiring plugs on the speaker!).

If you are new to car audio, I cannot recommend using them enough. Go to their webiste at www.crutchfield.com , find a pair of speakers that fit your car in your price range, then Call them on the phone and talk to a salesperson. Explain that you need to get those speakers with the wire adapters and any speaker rings you might need - I think they give you the extra wiring stuff for free! I could be wrong, but they're only a couple bucks otherwise and you'll be paying less buying from them anyhow.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

PS - replacing the bose amp is not "plug and play". What I mean is, it can't be done "easily", at least not that I'm aware of. If it was, I'd have done it in my RSX already