The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
pissonNOS

i need help from a stereo expert

My old amp in my truck got fried I am guessing I think it was due to a "friend" messing around with the gain, I had a brand new amp laying around the house so i put it in and the sub works great again I am just wondering where the gain should be set at right now it a hair off center towards the + side is this ok I only ran the stereo about 2 minutes to make sure i didnt blow anything up if it helps its only an 8 inch rockford
Old 12-26-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: i need help from a stereo expert

The gain knob will introduce more distortion the louder you turn it up. I suggest keeping it as low as possible to prevent damage to the speakers. I usually don't tweak mine over the 2-3 mark (20-30%)....if I need louder, I buy an amp with more wattage.

As for your old amp - take the heatsink cover off. Most amps come with an external fuse (car type fuse plugged into the chassis or an inline fuse on the power line) and often times will have an internal fuse on the main board - typically a glass fuse. Look to see if it's blown and replace.

For more info to understand gain, here: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...499581,00.html

I've found blown fuses in lots of home stereos that people have given me .... 35¢ and I have a working stereo.

Just as a note - turning the gain up too loud will lead to "clipping" which is a term used to describe overload on an amplifier - it clips on and off, causing interruptions in output. I would never pump the gain over halfway.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 12-26-2005 at 09:23 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:04 AM   #3
full foot notch

if ya want, ya can set your gains properly with an oscilliscope or a multimeter, your gain is there to match the "signal strength" of what the radio is putting out/producing, what is meant by signal strength, is more the line output voltage, its hard to describe in words, but as i could put it best in my words would be, say your radio puts out 7vDC for line voltage in the preouts, well the gain would be adjusted to match that 7vDC , but if you had another radio (say a low end pioneer) it may only put out 3vDC, and so the gain would be matched for the 3vDC output

my quick technique if in a hurry is to adjust the gain at listening level to any audible distortion can be heard and then back off 1/4 turn, its only best to do with a trained ear, if ya know what i mean, but if you really dont know what your doing, take it to a car audio shop and they may do it for you for free or maybe a $5 tip to the guy
full foot notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:30 AM   #4
pissonNOS

thnaks guys the trucks in storage and i only get to work on her on weekends but im definately gonna try and lower the gain next weekend can you think of any idea why the gain wouldnt move for me this weekend tho? i couldnt turn the knob at all
Old 12-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Can't say anything more than what's been said already
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #6
shifty
Questionable

Never heard of a gain knob not moving. Won't move either way?!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
pissonNOS

nope i was only trying to use a little flat blade screwdrive tho maybe i need a bigger one