The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2006, 04:01 PM   #26
cstanley

Re: cutting dash for stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean
I'm still looking to do a Mac Mini once the rest of my interior is done this summer. I'm not 100% on the location, but it's something I am looking to do next winter.

I am torn between leaving the dash stock and using a decoy deck, or cut it up and do a fresh install with all the trimmings. Guess I'll know when I get there, I'm a ways off at this point.
i'd also thought about something like that. i was thinking of building my carputer into a gutted original AM radio case, then using phidgets to control the computer functions with the original radio controls. i'd prolly place the monitor overhead, along with one in a custom gauge bezel (see my avatar) and maybe even a larger monitor in the glove box with a keyboard integrated into the glove box door. that's all still a long way off, but something i'd like to tinker with.

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
cstanley

i was also thinking, since there are so many double DIN products out there, has anyone made your dash opening (the indented part) into a double din opening? it looks like it would work if you removed the ash tray and stretched the radio opening down to accomodate the larger radio/gps/touch screen? pics?

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/

Last edited by cstanley; 04-28-2006 at 04:12 PM.
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #28
1969K10

My '72 came with a radio delete plate, and no radio or antena. I mounted the radio w/ CD player like you would a CB under the dash with generic CB installation mounts... It worked great, and kept the dash intact... Fortunately, my current '69 had the dash already cut, and holes in the doors for speakers... i didn't have to feel bad about cutting anything to fit...
1969K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:30 PM   #29
farside847

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstanley
same s@#$, different day. PO cut mine, i've been trying to decide whether to restore it. i drive mine, so i like modern tunes. at the end of the day if you want modern tunes, i think a cut dash is the way to go. it's FAR cleaner than having an original radio (that you don't use) and another radio in numerous possible locations, always junking up an otherwise clean interior, no matter where it's put. you'll always lose something. i was drifting toward a carputer, but my newest thought is this: it's the chrysler nav radio (made by alpine) and are available on ebay. i'm trying to figure out some interface issues with older vehicles (somehow it has to be hooked up to the car's computer) but it may be the way i go.

this image is a photoshop quickie using a pic that mario72 posted of his dash a while back (sorry mario72, i didn't have access to another pic of my own dash)

anyway, here it is. it's 1.5 din, so i'm not really sure whether it'll fit like this or not. i think it looks cool b/c of the rounded corners, whick look to fit into the dash location.

THAT LOOKS COOL!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #30
william 70 c/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968 c10
I can see both sides of the issue... I probably would have left my dash intact, but the PO didn't give me the option.

If you do decide to cut your dash, please make it look better than mine, which looks like it was hacked out with a butterknife by a drunk monkey.

After the monkey sobered up and realized the horror of what he did, and tried to cover it up with a piece of stainless steel.

Oh, and another thought... if you cut the dash, put in a decent stereo... my dash was trashed for some generic-sounds like s#!t am/fm cassette player.

I brought my truck off of pictures alone, but none of the pictures showed the dash...I was pissed when I saw it.
that's funny and ugly ..sorry dude.. .that's really funny though.. .if that isn't the worst job ANYONE's ever done... when i get rid of my other dash you got first dibs..i'll give it to ya..
william 70 c/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #31
chevymaz
What are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76bonanza
also chevymaz does it all fit in the indention of the radio part of the dash if you know what I mean? Also any pics.
Here is a pic of what it looks like now with the trim piece removed. I tried to only cut what I absolutely had to. You can still see where the original knobs were located on each side of the stereo.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

1971 GMC LWB
2005 Honda Element
2007 Honda Fit

Last edited by chevymaz; 04-28-2006 at 08:55 PM.
chevymaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:29 PM   #32
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billla
Mike, that's some REALLY nice work! Do you have any shots before the primer went down?
It's in my sig, but here it is anyways...I will update it sometime soon with pics of the painted firewall.

My Truck Progress

Peace,

Mike
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:07 PM   #33
76bonanza

looks nice chevymaz thanks for the pics.
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #34
4x4Bowhunter

I was in the same situation with my 72 GMC! Definitely did NOT want to cut anything. Also, how do you gaurd against a $500 stereo when these trucks aint the most secure vehicles around???

So I did what any red-blooded masochist would do and mounted it in my glovebox! But first I had to build my own glovebox!!

After many cardboard and fiberboard templates and about 30 hours later, here it is.

In addition, I removed the spare tire jack and built my own subwoofer enclsosure to mount a 10" wub. Amp is hidden as well.

Only thing not hidden are the kickpanel component speakers, but I figured since the "original" Sears radio is still in place, no one would really be all too excited about five-fingering one of those.

Anyway, you did a clean installation! And you can feel good about doing it yourself!!
Attached Images

4x4Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:25 PM   #35
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref26.html Check this site out.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:38 PM   #36
76bonanza

4x4 were did you get the kickpanels? and I would love to see that sub setup
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote