The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #26
djracer

Re: Post all your Car Audio needs

I would do the sub down fired under the seat for sure. You can probably do 2 5 1/4's under the factory dash location if a 65 has one. It's been a while since I have done one that model. Do you still have a tank behind the seat?

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #27
Dubnova

Tank is in the bed.
Dubnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #28
68shortwide

Whats the best setup for a 17 yo kid that lives on music, has a slim to reasonable budget and wants good-amazing sound? =) mainly will just be using bluetooth or aux cable off my phone/ipod for music. What head unit, subs, amps etc and brands. Thanks man.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #29
djracer

Jack what is it going in?

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
Old 12-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #30
68shortwide

68 reg cab shortbed. Will have a custom center console and late model buckets.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
Old 12-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #31
68shortwide

Tank will be in the rear frame rails. Not a bit hesitant to cut up the dash or doors. Thanks man.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
Old 12-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #32
engine38

Kevin,

I have a '48 Chevy pickup. MSD ignition, fuse box, and battery is going into pedestal under bench seat. Dashboard and trim are stock. I don't want a radio or head unit visible. BUT, I want to be able to control Pandora, volume control, and have handsfree phone features (just like my late model Ford truck). I have rear cab corner provisions for 6x9" speakers. I can locate a sub under the seat OR behind it, but I don't want to totally occupy the back of my seat area with components (need a place for jackets, etc.). I'd like front speakers as well, but not in doors. Basically, I'd like a 5 channel setup for the truck, unless you have a reason to believe its a waste of $$.

I like quality components, so no issue there. Your thoughts on head unit, speakers, amp(s) and placement of everything?
engine38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:19 PM   #33
engine38

Seems to me if you're going to start a thread to offer help to others that you'd take a moment to followthrough and check if anybody has posted questions. Thanks anyway.
engine38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #34
wibas

DJ looks like you are getting overwhelmed. If we would all slow down and let him answer the open questions before we ask more. Maybe we would get some of our answers along the way. I have sound system needs also. Hey! Merry Christmas All!
wibas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #35
diggerbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Sounds like you are the guy to ask. =-)

I got a "new" '81 GMC with an Alpine 7163 (and matching amp circa early 80's. Aparently it was also the factory radio in some 83/4/5 Lambo's) Sounds reasonably good, good enough that I'm not putting my two shaft denon in its place. But it naturally comes with early 80's alpine quirks;

Primarily: how do you set the station presets? Seems no matter what combination of button presses, knob push or pulls I do, keys I hold down in combination, anytime I even touch a preset it changes to whatever the default preset is (ie: newer radios, you just hold the preset down and it will set your current station to the preset. This thing, the moment you touch the preset button it changes to the preset default).

I've also been playing around with trying to set the clock... But that seems to have solved itself, I am guessing it gets a time signal off the air to set the clock automatically as I went to try and set the clock yesterday and found it was actually correct.

Alpine site stinks for tech support, seems anything pre-CD days does not exist for them anymore. Even "vintage" parts comes back with a 'not found'. I guess vintage to them is 2005...

Alex.
Alex,

To set presets on your old Alpine, tune to the station you want, press the MEM button and then the number that you want assigned to the station. I have that same deck. BTW...There is a guy in Nashville who still services these. He re-belted mine, cleaned and lubed it for around $75. Here is a useful forum for vintage audio eqmt. WWW.Tapeheads.net
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #36
65Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine38 View Post
Seems to me if you're going to start a thread to offer help to others that you'd take a moment to followthrough and check if anybody has posted questions. Thanks anyway.
Maybe you can pitch in and help him.....

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #37
djracer

Sorry guys I haven't been on the board in quite some time but I will be happy to help if you guys still need it. My cell is 334six5seven55eight3. If you don't get me leave a message or text me would be even better.

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #38
205harleyman

Kevin, I am probably 45 days out, but trying to figure out what I need in my 1972 K5 blazer. I'm going to cut my dash, and definitely want iPhone hookup for music, maybe cd, 6 1/2 speakers in the floor vent panels, 6x9's in the panels behind doors by rear seat, and either 1 or 2 shallow mount subwoofers in the rear panels. I had though about 1 and then surface mounting an amp in the opposite side where the gas filler is. I'm open to suggestions on brand, pioneer, kenwood, alpine? I just need a pretty good system on a budget. The panels will be covered in leather, and I am going to spray liquid lizard on the panels and floor. Let me know what you think.
Vintage Air
1999 tan leather bucket seats and console w/1999 back seat
20inch Torque Thrust Wheels
Corvette Madrid Red with Tan Top
Hope to be driving soon!!!
205harleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #39
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by engine38 View Post
Kevin,

I have a '48 Chevy pickup. MSD ignition, fuse box, and battery is going into pedestal under bench seat. Dashboard and trim are stock. I don't want a radio or head unit visible. BUT, I want to be able to control Pandora, volume control, and have handsfree phone features (just like my late model Ford truck). I have rear cab corner provisions for 6x9" speakers. I can locate a sub under the seat OR behind it, but I don't want to totally occupy the back of my seat area with components (need a place for jackets, etc.). I'd like front speakers as well, but not in doors. Basically, I'd like a 5 channel setup for the truck, unless you have a reason to believe its a waste of $$.

I like quality components, so no issue there. Your thoughts on head unit, speakers, amp(s) and placement of everything?
Let me just in you have a few options
1. You can buy a Bluetooth head unit and hidE it
or
2 http://www.kicker.com/41IQ10005 buy this and use you phone for audio.
feel free to ask me more

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #40
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205harleyman View Post
Kevin, I am probably 45 days out, but trying to figure out what I need in my 1972 K5 blazer. I'm going to cut my dash, and definitely want iPhone hookup for music, maybe cd, 6 1/2 speakers in the floor vent panels, 6x9's in the panels behind doors by rear seat, and either 1 or 2 shallow mount subwoofers in the rear panels. I had though about 1 and then surface mounting an amp in the opposite side where the gas filler is. I'm open to suggestions on brand, pioneer, kenwood, alpine? I just need a pretty good system on a budget. The panels will be covered in leather, and I am going to spray liquid lizard on the panels and floor. Let me know what you think.
Q-logic makes 6.5 panels in the front and someone on this forumakes 6x9 panels in the real but will need to be boxed in to isolate the back wave . As always as for a shallow mount sub I would recommend DD Audio SL. also because of space constraints I would use a 5 channel amp

Oklahoma
Old 04-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #41
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Hello,
I'm fixing to swap out my seats in my 71 truck. I have a box built behind the seat with 2 amps with one 4 channel amp running 2 tens bridged. The other amp has 2 three ways and 2 mids hooked to it. I then have 2 tweeters hooked to the radio.

I would like to get one amp for everything if that's possible? What would you recommend to buy?

Get a 5 channel split the single sub channel, and buy some cross overs for the mids and highs

Oklahoma
Old 04-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #42
michael bustamante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Sounds like you are the guy to ask. =-)

I got a "new" '81 GMC with an Alpine 7163 (and matching amp circa early 80's. Aparently it was also the factory radio in some 83/4/5 Lambo's) Sounds reasonably good, good enough that I'm not putting my two shaft denon in its place. But it naturally comes with early 80's alpine quirks;

Primarily: how do you set the station presets? Seems no matter what combination of button presses, knob push or pulls I do, keys I hold down in combination, anytime I even touch a preset it changes to whatever the default preset is (ie: newer radios, you just hold the preset down and it will set your current station to the preset. This thing, the moment you touch the preset button it changes to the preset default).

I've also been playing around with trying to set the clock... But that seems to have solved itself, I am guessing it gets a time signal off the air to set the clock automatically as I went to try and set the clock yesterday and found it was actually correct.

Alpine site stinks for tech support, seems anything pre-CD days does not exist for them anymore. Even "vintage" parts comes back with a 'not found'. I guess vintage to them is 2005...

Alex.
ok to set the presets you have to manually putit on the station, then hold down the preset button for like 3 seconds, (the little 6 box indicator will flash on the screen) then you press it again to confirm thats the station you want on the preset #. that should do it
Old 04-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #43
chris1htx

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone can help me out with my set up, I want to make sure I have it wired correctly so I don't burn up the subwoofer (done it before). I recently purchased a 12" JL Audio subwoofer, 12W3v3-2 to which I am wiring to a mono amp, LA-1000MD. How do I hook up the sub to the amp? I am confused because the amp has 2 negative and 2 positive inputs, do I just plug in or is there something specific I am supposed to do?

Thanks for your help!

-Chris
Attached Images

chris1htx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #44
michael bustamante

2 positive and 2 negative + a 2 channel amp
no big deal. positive on sub to the first positive and the negative on sub to the first negative on amp. thats bridging
Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #45
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
2 positive and 2 negative + a 2 channel amp
no big deal. positive on sub to the first positive and the negative on sub to the first negative on amp. thats bridging
you are right but he has a monoblock and a SVC sub, no bridging can be down

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1htx View Post
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone can help me out with my set up, I want to make sure I have it wired correctly so I don't burn up the subwoofer (done it before). I recently purchased a 12" JL Audio subwoofer, 12W3v3-2 to which I am wiring to a mono amp, LA-1000MD. How do I hook up the sub to the amp? I am confused because the amp has 2 negative and 2 positive inputs, do I just plug in or is there something specific I am supposed to do?

Thanks for your help!

-Chris
First you should know you cant' blow a sub by wiring it too low because the impedance of the voice coil doesn't change, but you can blow your amp that way. you should know you cant bridge a monoblock/ single channel amp; not possible. since you have a single voice coil sub just hook up pos to pos and neg to neg (sub to amp). most likely if you blow the sub it is because of clipping

Oklahoma
Old 04-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #46
chris1htx

Quote:
Originally Posted by king-918 View Post
you are right but he has a monoblock and a SVC sub, no bridging can be down

First you should know you cant' blow a sub by wiring it too low because the impedance of the voice coil doesn't change, but you can blow your amp that way. you should know you cant bridge a monoblock/ single channel amp; not possible. since you have a single voice coil sub just hook up pos to pos and neg to neg (sub to amp). most likely if you blow the sub it is because of clipping
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately I had it running for a while then all of a sudden it stopped working the amp was going into protect mode. I unhooked the sub from the amp and the amp went out of protect mode. I hooked the sub back to it, the bass would hit then it would go back to protect mode.

I had a subs hooked up to it before without a problem, I don't know what might be causing this problem. Your help is appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
chris1htx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #47
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1htx View Post
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately I had it running for a while then all of a sudden it stopped working the amp was going into protect mode. I unhooked the sub from the amp and the amp went out of protect mode. I hooked the sub back to it, the bass would hit then it would go back to protect mode.

I had a subs hooked up to it before without a problem, I don't know what might be causing this problem. Your help is appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Ohm the sub out with a DMM

Oklahoma
Old 06-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #48
djracer

Chris is sounds like the sub is blown. If you can find another sub to test with you can verify.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2015, 01:14 PM   #49
Dannyboy1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by djracer View Post
I have been a Car Stereo Installer for 36 Years and I will do my best to provide you guys and gals with good prices and great tech help. I sell most major brands and will be here to stand behind the products.
djracer I have a couple questions for you. I have a friend that bought a Boss 637UA am/fm/mp3/cd radio, after he got it sold his car, and just gave it to me. I've gotten everything together to install it in my 86 GMC Sierra Classic. I'm trying to figure out what the best place to connect it's memory wire to? Also The new radio has connections for 4 speakers, my truck came out factory with 5 speakers (one in each corner then the center one in the dash). What would be the best way to connect that center speaker back into the mix without under powering one of the 2 front channel speakers? Thanks Dan
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote