The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2005, 08:51 PM   #1
evan

evan's stereo install - lots of pics

This summer I installed a stereo in my truck so I thought I would post up the pictures that I took along the way. It isn't a crazy expensive stereo or anything, just a cd player two 5.25's and a 10" sub all powered by a 4 channel amp.

I pulled out the seat and the damp carpet to find rust.

I sanded down the spots of surface rust on both sides and exposed a hole at about the same spot on both sides of the cab. I cut out and bent some sheet metal to have my buddy weld in place, but he wasn't able to do a weld all the way around because the old sheet metal was too thin (after 27 years of rusting).

He was able to tack it into place

and then I used JB Weld to seal the rest of the way around.

I ground down the mess I made with the JB Weld and then painted it.

Next came the intallation of a roll of Raammat sound deadening material.

It went really well. It was easy to work with, and I'm happy with the results. I definately recommend the product and the company. Rick is great to deal with.

Last edited by evan; 12-16-2005 at 09:06 PM.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #2
evan

Re: evan's stereo install

I installed the new weather stripping around the door openings and then cut a hole in the dash to accomodate the cd player.

I taped out where it needed to be cut

and then laid into it with the dremmel.

A buddy suggested that I mount my amp on a piece of plywood to keep it that much further away from moisture, so I cut out a piece and painted it flat black to blend in with the new carpet I bought.

I did all the in dash wiring with the help of this:

and this:

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf

and spliced into the interior light wire for the constant power supply to the deck. You can see the fuse in the bottom left corner of this pic.

I installed the 5.25's in the boxes that I made

and the sub into the pre-fabed box I bought, and started wiring things up for a test. I ended up with a mangled mess of wire, but it actually made music!!! It was so rewarding to finally see and hear some obvious progress.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
evan

I started the next day by attempting to mount the boxes for the 5.25's. I used some stuff that is meant for holding pipes in place for plumbing.

It was easy enough to cut with tin snips, but the process of mounting the boxes was a giant pain in the A$$!!! It was difficult to get in behind the boxes to get the brackets attached to a place that would keep them from swinging forward so there was a whole lot of swearing going on, but I got it done.

I started organizing the mess of wires buy lining up the speaker and rca wires down the passenger side of the hump in the floor.

The power wire got run along the edge of the drivers side by the door, then I installed the carpet and pulled through the wires and seat belts and stuff.

For my first attempt at a car audio install, I'm pretty happy. Sure beats the heck out of an AM mono radio.

Last edited by evan; 12-16-2005 at 09:08 PM.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #4
canadian trucker
A day should have 30 hours.

wow nice job

looks real clean, how does it sound ?
canadian trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
Nolowrider

Evan-Nice job!! You should be proud of all the hard work you did, looks like it really turned out first class. Looks like you went the extra mile to do it right. I'll bet it sounds great. I am planning on doing an install myself in the next few days. Thanks for the pic, you just gave me some ideas. Great work!!!
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:23 AM   #6
bigarmzz

geeze man...nice

where'd ya get the carpet at?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
mike nutt
69fatmotor

QUOTE]
evan , every thing looks good , here are a couple of pics of the speaker box i built in my '86, there is a pair of 10's muonted under the seat

Last edited by mike nutt; 02-22-2009 at 08:56 PM.
mike nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
canadian trucker
A day should have 30 hours.

wow nice,
how did you get ten's under the seat?
canadian trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:49 PM   #9
evan

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz
where'd ya get the carpet at?
I got that at a shop called Tiger Automotive here in Saskatoon. It went in nicely because it was molded to fit the curves of the truck.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
1974gmc
In Progress

whats the dimensions on the box? I just bought some cheap sub and amp combo from walmart (2 12's and 340watt amp) but i dont know if there will be enough room with out moving the seat all the way forward.
1974gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #11
84stepper2

Mike, 2 questions. What is that box made out, fiberglass? And did you have to cut a hole in the floor the 10's?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:51 PM   #12
69GMC910
MOTORHEAD!

Hey, I just put a stereo in my 82 as well. And boy did I cringe when I cut the dash!!, but the result was worth it!! My question is, Does everyones seat have to sit further forward with 6x9's in boxes behind the seat?? The boxes I bought are pretty standard and I have to have the seat about 3" forward to have them fit. What's the remedy for this???!!!

AFR 265
Holley 850
Performer RPM Air Gap
Hooker 2455's
TCI Turbo 400 Super Street Fighter
TRRC 12 Bolt
Eaton Posi
Mark Williams Axles
Cal-Tracs
Hoosier 30x10.5 Radial Slick
Full weight long box pickup
Current best- 11.33@117mph
69GMC910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:47 PM   #13
82 Silverado 4X
Genuine Chevrolet

I really like all of yours but I wanted something a little less understated.
Instead of boxes that sit on the shelf I built corner enclosures for my Kenwwod 6x9's by using pegboard, 1x1 strips and acustical insulation. I covered the enclosures with the left over material from my headliner. I screwed the enclosures into the same location as the factory rear 4x10's. Then I cut another panel to go across the back of the cab between the corner speaker enclosures and covered it with the same headliner material also. Nice and clean but I still have a place for my ratchet straps, bungees, tow strap and the ice scraper. I already had 4" Kenwoods in the dash hooked to my factory AM-FM Cassette. I just added a 6 Disc Pioneer Changer under the seat and am planning on adding a 4 x 50 watt amp under the seat later.
Attached Images

82 Silverado 4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:20 AM   #14
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

This is some of what I put into my 84 GMC truck. I have an Alpine DVD head unit with a EQ mounted into the dash. There are 10 speakers in the cab; two tweeters in the dash (center crossover), two tweeters and 6" mid h igh range in the upper door pods, two 8" woofers mid low range in the lower door pods, and two 8" tubes Sub woofers behind the seat. The amp for the subs and the amp for the 8" door speakers is under the seat and the amp for the mid high range and the dash tweeters is on the cab back wall. There is an active crossover network and a "Epicenter" bass enhancer in the system also. It is good for 300 DB and has been measured there.
Attached Images

piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:23 AM   #15
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Here are a few more pictures of the inside of the 84 GMC. The speakers are Boston Accoustic, with the Subwoofers being "Bazookas". All of the amps are Rockford Fosgate.
Attached Images

Last edited by piecesparts; 12-31-2005 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:49 PM   #16
Clos'84TX
Foom, foom, foom!

Okay question for anyone that has subs behind your seat, can you recline comfortably?
I have a 10" behind my seat and I feel all crunched up. And I'm not a tall guy, about average height?
long Headers//3.73 rearend gears

Future Mods

3/4 suspension drop
Clos'84TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #17
evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clos'84TX
Okay question for anyone that has subs behind your seat, can you recline comfortably?
I have a 10" behind my seat and I feel all crunched up. And I'm not a tall guy, about average height?
My bench doesn't recline at all, it just moves forward and back. I don't know if it is different for other years. Before I put the sub in, I had the seat set so that it would just touch the back of the cab when I was sitting on it. With the sub in, it is one notch further away from the back of the cab. I notice the lack of reclining room when I go from other vehicles back into my truck, but when I'm just in my truck I get used to it. Even without subs there isn't really any room to lean back.

I plan on eventually putting in buckets and making a custom center console to house subs and amps, but other things have higher priority right now. I've been noticing the different depth of the seats that other guys have been putting in, and so far I think the buckets out of a Dodge Dakota seem to fit the best against the back of the cab.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:16 AM   #18
evan

Well, that was unnecessarily hard to find. I guess it was a durango, not a dakota.

Check it out here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...highlight=seat
Old 01-25-2006, 12:28 AM   #19
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nutt
QUOTE]
evan , every thing looks good , here are a couple of pics of the speaker box i built in my '86, there is a pair of 10's muonted under the seat
Might have been asked/posted earlier but can I get some pics of the install of tens under the seat?
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #20
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

I would like to see them under the seat too.If 10's will go...then I could raise the seat a smidge and fit 12's hehe.

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:54 PM   #21
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have two 8" bazooka subs behind my seat firing into each other in an "Isobaric" setup (see pictures above). They set on the ledge behind the seat and the seat back conforms to them pretty well. I am a six foot heavy set guy and I can sit in my truck comfortably. The seat back will shape itself to the rounded tubes and dosn't seem to have problems staying at the angle that is proper for it. A sub box tends to take up a lot of room behind the seat, it if it is not built to fit against the cab back (pre-built boxes, for example). There is really NO ROOM under the seat for the subs, especially if you leave all of the seat springs and control wires under it. I have my amps mounted to the floor under my seat. (sub amp on driver's side and the four channel amp on the other side)
Old 01-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #22
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

OH yeah....Piecesparts..not to undershadow your install...but if someone told you that your truck measured 300db, they need to get a new meter or get thiers calibrated. 300db would damn near implode your head haha! And Bazooka's arent gonna hit that hard unfortunately. The IASCA record for 2005 is as follows in the unlimited class
Scott Owens

Tempe, AZ. USA
2002 Ford F-250
*180.3 dB

Anything over 140 is damn hard to acheive and VERY VERY VERY expensive. My old truck hit 143.3 Db and then immediately Blew both subs and the amp lol. Tuned it down after that.
That alone is enough to make you feel woosey after an extended time, not to mention ear damage lol.

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 04:52 PM   #23
Russell
Professional Grade

something like 102 dB is the threshold of pain, lol
Old 01-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #24
evan

To put subs under the seat you would probably have to use fiberglass.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #25
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

You are absolutely right and I am glad that someone actually reads these things. I am old and feeble and I forget the small things from time to time. Three hundred db does take a lot of money and I did not spend that much. I got that entry in the forum at an early moring install and I missed the numbers by about a X 2, because I was tired. Thanks for waking me up. I will say that my truck is strong at what it puts out and the readings (not 300) are actual readings that I got at a competition in my local area. I gave that stuff up because it took to much away from what I wanted to do in the engine build up. I work at a power plant where pain actually starts at 90 db (acorrding to OSHA). I can turn the thing up to where your ears ring for quite awhile and I do actually make some decent power. Oh, by the way---Bazookas in an isobaric formation, set up in a series hookup hit pretty dang hard, especially in a truck cab.

Last edited by piecesparts; 01-25-2006 at 05:41 PM.