The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
RED71CHEVY

stereo speakers...where to put them?

i have a new stereo and no speakers............please show me where you put them.
'71 CUSTOM C-10 torch red ,350 roller GM crate,3.73 GEARS, REAR 4"DROP SPRING, FRONT 2.5" DROP SPINDLE-1.5"lower spring, FRONT=17x8(4.5bs) W/265-60-17, BACK=17x9.5 (5bs)W/285-60-17, Vintage Air Sure Fit AC------NEVER ENDING PROJECT!!
RED71CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
speedracer
Blank

Re: stereo speakers...where to put them?

I put 6.5 kick panels in and 2 4" in the dash bought kits from lmc or chevy duty can't remember which one. But I changed the speakers the kits come with.

1969 lwb 4/6 drop 17x8-18x10 torque thrust II's 327-420hp 2004R 3.73 posi.
1977 Corvette 350-375hp 4speed, silver show car.
2002 S10 xtreme, work truck
2004.5 VW jetta GLI 1.8T 6speed, weekend warrior.
2013 Audi A3 TDI, the wife's car
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

cut the doors
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
QKENUF4U

im using one of my fiances firebird speakers in the original spot under dash and i have to little truck boxes behind the seat (only works if ya have a blazer tank conversion) i got the truck boxes from CHECKERS for 20$ and they sound AWESOME in my truck. im gonna do my own kick panels and mount 6x9's where the vent holes are (i dont use the vents anyways) if ya cant put them behind the seat then the kickpanels w/ spearkers are your best bet.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
72MARIO

Kick pannel 6.5 round JBL's and 6x9 Sony's behing the seat.

I shaved the dash speaker hole.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD

Last edited by 72MARIO; 03-03-2006 at 09:20 PM.
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #6
chevybill

Qkenuf4u, i know it is probably very dry in arizona. If you put speakers in the vent holes you will need to seal them some way. When it does rain or you wash your truck water and or moisture can get to the speakers in that location.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
cut the doors
Count me in... It's not a door. It's a giant speaker box on hinges. Sound deadener inside the doors makes a big improvement in the tone quality.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
QKENUF4U

Thumbs up Re: stereo speakers...where to put them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybill
Qkenuf4u, i know it is probably very dry in arizona. If you put speakers in the vent holes you will need to seal them some way. When it does rain or you wash your truck water and or moisture can get to the speakers in that location.
ya i just thought about that yesterday. im gonna figure out how to seal that off to the cowl area.
later
lance
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

6x9 three way JBL GTO's in the doors soon to be followed by a single RE8 8" sub and 350W alpine mono amp under the seat and eventually a two channel amp for the door speakers which may get replaced with a set of components.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
Edmond

When you put the speakers in the doors,
what do you guys do to stop moisture?
Lipyp, like the Netherlands, it must rain a lot in the UK
What did you do to prefent it?

Cya,
Edmond
Dutch Longhorn
Capelle a/d IJssel,
The Netherlands
Edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #11
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Hi Emond, yes it probably rains as much if not more than in the netherlands, although at the moment its all solid and white as we have a couple of inches of snow. Still much less than the 40cm I had in France last month!

Those JBL speakers have kevlar cones so don't suffer so badly from moisture as those with paper cones. I just used some thick plastic sheet taped inside the hole as a shield to stop any water falling directly on the speaker. You could even make a fibreglass or aluminium box to fit in the door or even just some kind of eyebrow shaped shield to fit over the speaker rivetted to the door to give it some shelter. In the future I may well make some custom pods to fit on the front end of the door to house some component speakers with the tweeters mounted higher up to give better sound. These would then be all inside the cab and I could then weld up the old holes.

I know crutchfields, a big us car audio supplier used to sell rubber boots in standard speaker sizes to fit the speaker in therefore waterproofing it. Sadly they don't ship outside the USA and I've just had a look for them and they don't seem to sell them anymore.

'67 C10 long fleet.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:10 PM   #12
MISTERSHOTGUN

they don't call what you need rubber boots. Actually what you need is a speaker baffle. They still make them out of a waterproof foam and even out of plastic. they improve the sound greatly and they are cheap and nothing gets into them. here is a link for just one place that you can get them. I would recommend the foam ones not the plastic. i used them with my door instal and they were perfect no water or dirt gets through. look atthe picture too see how they work. http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=5412
MISTERSHOTGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #13
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I put these in my dads truck. They sound great. They are 6.5"
Attached Images

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads

Last edited by 70c10; 03-04-2006 at 10:00 PM.
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:28 AM   #14
Edmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp
Hi Edmond, yes it probably rains as much if not more than in the netherlands, although at the moment its all solid and white as we have a couple of inches of snow. Still much less than the 40cm I had in France last month!

Those JBL speakers have kevlar cones so don't suffer so badly from moisture as those with paper cones. I just used some thick plastic sheet taped inside the hole as a shield to stop any water falling directly on the speaker. You could even make a fibreglass or aluminium box to fit in the door or even just some kind of eyebrow shaped shield to fit over the speaker rivetted to the door to give it some shelter. In the future I may well make some custom pods to fit on the front end of the door to house some component speakers with the tweeters mounted higher up to give better sound. These would then be all inside the cab and I could then weld up the old holes.
Well that's one of the reasons also, I don't really want to cut up the doors...
Maybe I'm going for speakers in the kickpanels, with a speaker baffle like MISTERSHOTGUN suggested.

Cya,
Edmond
Dutch Longhorn
Capelle a/d IJssel,
The Netherlands
Edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:25 AM   #15
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Thats the babies, couldn't remember what they're called. Might have to see if they'll ship a pair to the UK.

'67 C10 long fleet.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #16
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

I have owned many of theses truck and I have allways had good sounding sound systems in them. I am proud to say I have never cut a door and I never will!!!! You can put all the equipment you need under the dash and under the seat/s. For an excellent sound....put Kicker type boxes an your amps under the seat/s and put some small tweets and mids in and arround the dash area. For a quick, cheap and easy good sounding system without cutting...just use the Kicker type truck boxes and amps under the seat/s and point the tweeters that are built into the box out towards the front of the truck.
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #17
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

My doors were cut by a previous owner, long term I want to weld em back up but it seemed a shame to waste a perfectly good hole when it came with no speakers. As a stop gap these have been great until I get a better install sorted out.

'67 C10 long fleet.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #18
Tropical Snowstorm
Lurky lurky

I just put 2 boxed 6x9s under the seat in boxes. I didn't have the heart to cut into my doors and I'm too cheap to buy kick panel set ups.
Tropical Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #19
MISTERSHOTGUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak
I have owned many of theses truck and I have allways had good sounding sound systems in them. I am proud to say I have never cut a door and I never will!!!! You can put all the equipment you need under the dash and under the seat/s. For an excellent sound....put Kicker type boxes an your amps under the seat/s and put some small tweets and mids in and arround the dash area. For a quick, cheap and easy good sounding system without cutting...just use the Kicker type truck boxes and amps under the seat/s and point the tweeters that are built into the box out towards the front of the truck.
YEAH.. someone else who has done that. I built a set of boxes to fit under a bench seat in a 68 chevy for a friend. Thought it was silly but did it for a favor. it was two tens and tweeters built into the boxes. he used some moderate mids inside the dash and it didn't take much works to get the boxes to fit under the seats. I had to take the seats out of the truck and build them inside the frame and then put the seats back in the truck after it was done.. to my surprise, it sounded great. I used to instal stereo equipment and make custom boxes and fiberglass work. but I tell you what. 72freak is right that it will sound great without cutting holes in your doors. but even after knowing this i put them in the doors of my own personal ride.. It all depends on you.
MISTERSHOTGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:49 AM   #20
jus_1982

ok, me and my family have done this to all our classic trucks. it requires moving the gas tank from behind the seat. then you make a carboard flat template that fits behind your seat. wish i had a pic so you could fully grasp the concept because it looks outstanding. the template should be as tall as the seat roughly and extend as wide as possible to give it uniformity as opposed to trying to hide it. it should be another point of pride you want to display. slightly angle the template to give you room to enclose your speakers. use template to cut 3/4 inch particle board. mount whatever speakers you desire. we usually put a 5 1/2 in each upper corner so that it is visible and busts your eardrum. follow this with 2 10" subs. be sure to enclose these on the back side. mount your amp on the back side of the board. cover board to match your interior. you will have a gap from angling your board. just use leftover particle board, cut it to shape and cover it too. now you have a custom completely enclosed speaker box that you could mount a ton of speakers on if you like. and it looks absolutely professional. i wish i had a pic of it. i will have to see if i can get one from my brother so i can post it and you all can see what i am talking about. why skimp out on your speaker box if you have a sweet hot rod. it will just bring it down. everything must be uniform and look like it belongs. this is an easy project thoug. can be done in a day. message me if you want more details and really want pics
Old 03-06-2006, 05:14 AM   #21
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

In a space the size of a pickup cab you don't need rear speakers, just some decent fronts and a sub or two to get a great sound. I have a lot of friends heavily into their car audio who even compete here in the UK and they generally don't run rear speakers in a normal full sized car. Just a good set of component speakers up front and subs. I'm not into dance music or hip-hop etc so don't need ear bleeding bass, just want a better sound quality than I have currently hence the little 8" sub and eventually I will get a set of components up front either in a kick or custom door build.

'67 C10 long fleet.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #22
68speedalert
Semi-Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERSHOTGUN
YEAH.. someone else who has done that. I built a set of boxes to fit under a bench seat in a 68 chevy for a friend. Thought it was silly but did it for a favor. it was two tens and tweeters built into the boxes. he used some moderate mids inside the dash and it didn't take much works to get the boxes to fit under the seats. I had to take the seats out of the truck and build them inside the frame and then put the seats back in the truck after it was done.. to my surprise, it sounded great. I used to instal stereo equipment and make custom boxes and fiberglass work. but I tell you what. 72freak is right that it will sound great without cutting holes in your doors. but even after knowing this i put them in the doors of my own personal ride.. It all depends on you.
From another that has done this, it works great. I'm pretty picky about my sound but want to keep this as low of a budget as possible. This is not for a show truck but an everyday driver.

I made boxes that would JUST fit under the seat. Put 6x9's in them and the amp there as well.

The key, as others have noted, is the tweeters and mids. I went so low budget that I took the mids and highs from blown 6x9's, attatched brakets to them, and mounted under the dash, out of sight. By using the fader of the control unit, you can adjust it until your desired sound is right.

I would not hesitate to do the same again, As a matter of fact, I did semi-repeat the proccess in numberoneson's (aka afr72) red short-step. He is happy as well.

Steve
'95 GMC K1500 Extended cab
68speedalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:23 PM   #23
Dennisthemenace

If I remember correctly there was a member called jerald jeffers who had a excelent astouning setup in his truck.
I will look it up for you all.

The land of $6.65 for a gallon of gas
Dennisthemenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
cut the doors
They`re doin`it from France to Ohio.The factory putzed around`til they finally started doing it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #25
farside847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Snowstorm
I just put 2 boxed 6x9s under the seat in boxes. I didn't have the heart to cut into my doors and I'm too cheap to buy kick panel set ups.
What boxes did you use, or did you make your own?