The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
KFreddy

Custom Autosound Stereo Review and Question...

I recently installed a custom autosound USA 6 radio in my '72 C10. This is an AM/FM CD controller no tape. First impressions are what can be expected from a $200.00 radio. It's a bit light weight and cheap feeling, power output is "just" satisfactory, the tone and left right controls are already dicey with only one week of use, donno maybe I was a bit rough when installing. I have a factory a/c truck and I can attest to the difficulity of installing this or any radio in such a tight space. Overall I am satisfied however you need to put it all in perspective. It is the only aftermarket radio that does not require you to cut the dash and it beats the pants off of the Radio Shack transistor radio I have had on the seat for the past 10 months

Yesterday I ebay purchased 2- 4" Blaupunkt speakers for the factory dash speaker location, I also purchased a set of Blaupunkt seperates 6.5" Mids and 3/4" tweeters. Blaupunkt is not my favorite brand however they have a very shallow mounting dept (less then 1.75") allowing me to install a 6.5" speakers in the aftermarket kickpannels instead of a 5.25" speakers. Well see how it all works out... But the crystal ball tells me there are a few amplifiers and a subwoofer in the near future...

I am curious if anyone has used this USA6 radio with any other cd changer besides the custom autosound cd changer? Any known compatibilities?

Thanks,

-Fred
"The Great State of Florida"

Last edited by KFreddy; 03-12-2006 at 09:29 AM.
KFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Custom Autosound Stereo Review and Question...

can a mod copy this over to the reviews forum, pls? just for archive's sake if nothing else.

i'm sorry i don't have an answer to your question, but there are some other posts from people who bought the same setup in the reviews forum. you might be able to PM them for info if nobody responds.

i'm skipping this setup entirely. i bought an MP3 player and an FM modulator, i'm going to use the pioneer tape deck my truck came with and play mp3's through it

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #3
KFreddy

Shifty,

Thanks for the response, no worries if the post were to be moved, whatever's helpful...

-Fred
KFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #4
JIMS1972STEPSIDE

I have that same unit (USA-6) and just sent it back to Custom Autosound for repair, (no sound) and am awaiting the cd changer, it does feel lightweight, but I am going to hook up an amplifier or two, myself.
1985 WHITE S-10 BLAZER AUTO
1998 WHITE S-10 4WD PICKUP AUTO
2006 SILVER H-D DYNA LOW RIDER
JIMS1972STEPSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:30 AM   #5
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

I just installed a Pioneer tape deck I had laying around. I didn't have to cut the dash. I did have to install the face plate, and you can see a small portion of the indent around the old tune and volume knobs. Impala Bob's sells these and a Kenwood unit that has been modified to fit our dash. Both of them are less than $300. The cheapest kenwood is $220. They both have RCA Preouts for whatever amp you would like.

I see the radios in my catalog, but don't see them on the website.http://www.impalas.com/

I've always thought Custom Autosound was a bit on the cheap side with their products. Not inexpensive, CHEAP.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis

Last edited by boundstaffpress; 03-13-2006 at 10:33 AM.
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
farside847

I plan on sending my stock AM radio to these guys to be re-built
http://taymanelectrical.com/

It costs a bit more ($350) but it remains the same look and gives you full AM/FM with low level inputs for XM or CD etc. I prefer the classic look myself rather than the way the USA models look.

The unit is _supposed_ to compair to a modurn pioneer head unit, with 180w RMS output - but I have not done it myself. Once I do I will let ya'll know how it sounds. They also continue to use the stock controls for on/off, presets, volume, etc. Plus add in special key combinations for fade, tone, etc.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
bmartin9122

I realize this is an old thread, but I am getting a bit concerned. I just received a USA1, and it looks okay. It comes with all hardware, and a trick bezel that makes it look more-or-less factory. Did I just waste a bunch of money?
--Carriage Works billet grille model 40071
--Go Industries 2.5" tubular stainless headache rack
--Sylvania Silverstar sealed headlights model H6024ST
--Texas Saddlebags center console model 101
--Brown's Welding class IV V-5 pipe bumper
--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires

Last edited by bmartin9122; 09-07-2006 at 04:53 PM.
bmartin9122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
gator2511

In my opinion Custom Autosound radios are the worst I have ever had in any car or truck. Mine is sitting in the dash to to plug the holes. I thought I was getting a good radio but I am completely unhappy with the power output, sound quality and clairity. I bought a cheap panasonic and just installed it in a console I made and it is sOOOOOOOOOOOO superior to the old (new) radio its unbeleivable!!! I hope your experience is better than mine but everybody I have talked to has the same opinion as me.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:50 PM   #9
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

I like it! It looks good, plays good and works for me. I just run the dual voice speaker in the dash. I don't have to worry about cutting the truck up for lots of speakers, amps, etc.
I want a radio, not a CD player/changer/amped up/sound system.
I like to hear the local radio stations, music, news, traffic, etc. So this works fine for me.
Attached Images

PICKMUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
bmartin9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2511 View Post
In my opinion Custom Autosound radios are the worst I have ever had in any car or truck. Mine is sitting in the dash to to plug the holes. I thought I was getting a good radio but I am completely unhappy with the power output, sound quality and clairity. I bought a cheap panasonic and just installed it in a console I made and it is sOOOOOOOOOOOO superior to the old (new) radio its unbeleivable!!! I hope your experience is better than mine but everybody I have talked to has the same opinion as me.
Yeah - I am kinda like PICKMUP. This truck is noisy and old. I really just want something that functions decently without alot of installation hassle. My Magnum has the kickazz set-up.

My brother gave me a Sirius car installation kit w/ an FM modulator to go with it. I hope it all works out. My only battle is going to be getting access to the old radio and inserting the new. I'll post some pics later today or tomorrow.
--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires

Last edited by bmartin9122; 09-09-2006 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
76bonanza

pickmup your heater controls are they stock mine are all black and nasty love to shiny look of yours?
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:09 PM   #12
bmartin9122

WOW! My stereo upgrade has turned into a dash rebuild. I don't know if I will finish this weekend. A/C ductwork is cracked and disconnected in places. foam seals around vents has come unglued. Floorboard light burned out. Dash light pulled out of socket. etc etc etc

Oh yeah - eventually, I will install the new radio. Check out how BIG the old Sparkomatic is!

--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires

Last edited by bmartin9122; 09-09-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:56 AM   #13
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICKMUP View Post
I like it! It looks good, plays good and works for me. I just run the dual voice speaker in the dash. I don't have to worry about cutting the truck up for lots of speakers, amps, etc.
I want a radio, not a CD player/changer/amped up/sound system.
I like to hear the local radio stations, music, news, traffic, etc. So this works fine for me.
I LIKE IT TOO.... BUT THEN AGAIN I'M 48 & NOT REALLY A MUSIC AFFICIANTO. I HAVE PUT A COUPLE IN MY TRUCKS. I RECENTLY DROVE MY 69 TOWTRUCK ACROSS COUNTRY WITHOUT ANY RADIO AT ALL, & ONE OF THESE UNITS WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT IMPROVEMENT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #14
john8746

I'm on my second Custom JUNK put one in my 66 nova should have learned but I had to fill the hole,should have taken the money and given it to a good cause . I even went for the kick panel speakers more JUNK . But that's just one mans opinion
Old 09-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #15
bmartin9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by john8746 View Post
I'm on my second Custom JUNK put one in my 66 nova should have learned but I had to fill the hole,should have taken the money and given it to a good cause . I even went for the kick panel speakers more JUNK . But that's just one mans opinion
Why do you say "junk"? That is an extremely subjective term. Was the head unit flawed in some way from the start? Did it break soon after installation?

Thanks,
-Bryan
--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires
Old 09-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #16
ChevyDude

I have heard that they look pretty good but as far as music clarity and power...well not so good. I think if you are interested in having a great deck that rocks the music ...these USA decks should be passed on....as the kids say...NEXT!
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #17
gator2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmartin9122 View Post
Why do you say "junk"? That is an extremely subjective term. Was the head unit flawed in some way from the start? Did it break soon after installation?

Thanks,
-Bryan
My autosound radio would not drive the 4 Autosound speakers loud enough to hear them with the windows rolled down. Look at how tiny the speaker wires are. I also get lots of static and powerline buzz in the AM band. I am like you, I just wanted a regular radio not a high power set up. I bought the kick panel speakers and two 9" oval speakers with the radio. Since I installed my new radio, ($109 Panasonic) hooked up to the same speakers, there is absolutely no comparison!! The Autosound radio did not perform as well as every other radio I have ever had in any car. Nothing personal, don't be insulted, it's just the way it happened with me.
I bought the Autosound because it was the only radio I could find that fit the dash. If I had it to do over again I would put a radio delete cover in the dash and mount a good radio somewhere else.

Last edited by gator2511; 09-10-2006 at 12:43 PM.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:54 PM   #18
bmartin9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2511 View Post
My autosound radio would not drive the 4 Autosound speakers loud enough to hear them with the windows rolled down. Look at how tiny the speaker wires are. I also get lots of static and powerline buzz in the AM band. I am like you, I just wanted a regular radio not a high power set up. I bought the kick panel speakers and two 9" oval speakers with the radio. Since I installed my new radio, ($109 Panasonic) hooked up to the same speakers, there is absolutely no comparison!! The Autosound radio did not perform as well as every other radio I have ever had in any car. Nothing personal, don't be insulted, it's just the way it happened with me.
I bought the Autosound because it was the only radio I could find that fit the dash. If I had it to do over again I would put a radio delete cover in the dash and mount a good radio somewhere else.
I am not offended. I am just trying to learn all I can about these radios before I have to live with mine.
--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires
Old 09-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #19
bmartin9122

I finished the installation tonight, and I must say it turned out okay. Here are my thoughts:

1. I am generally satisfied with the installation process.
2. The hangar stud on the back of the unit is too close to the RCA jacks. Fortunately, I am not planning on using them.
3. The supplied shaft nuts have very few threads, so I almost stripped the shafts. This was remedied by purchasing 2 nuts with about twice the number of threads.
4. The primary knobs on each shaft did not fit snugly at all. I had to apply a small amount of rubber cement to hold them securely. No pulling is required to operate the unit, so this should work fine.
5. The faux AM radio dial makes the appearance look more OEM, but it interferes somewhat with the actual digital readout behind it. This is more annoying than anything.
6. The sound quality is adequate for all but the most demanding audiophiles. It isn't impressive, but it isn't bad either.
7. I could hear no alternator whine, so the little filter/fuse box seems to work.

I would say the head unit is a little pricey, but worth it if you want a factory look and no cutting.
--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires
Old 09-13-2006, 09:51 AM   #20
MrGoodpliers

I have the same unit and skipped the cd changer. I used that money, less actually, and bought an ipod and hooked it up to the RCA inputs. I definately see some quality amps and speakers in my future though, because the radio alone with the dual voice coil speaker just ain't cuttin it.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #21
bmartin9122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodpliers View Post
....I definately see some quality amps and speakers in my future though, because the radio alone with the dual voice coil speaker just ain't cuttin it.
Agreed. This unit pushes my two 6.5" door speakers okay, and they sound pretty good! However, if you want to really have some full-range, powerful music, then you will have to get separate amps.

BTW, I am thinking of getting some XTC foam door baffles to protect the backside of my new door speakers from water/dirt damage. Are they worth the trouble? I have read that you must cut a hole in the bottom of them to keep the speaker from sounding like a clock radio.
--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires

Last edited by bmartin9122; 09-13-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:36 AM   #22
bmartin9122

Here is what I ended up with. That is a Sirius receiver mounted to the windshield. I love satellite radio!

--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires
Old 09-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #23
timcos
Chief Honcho In Charge

Check out what I found on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Class...spagenameZWDVW

Could be a decent solution.

1992 1500 4x4 Shortbed
1984 Ford F250 Supercab Longbed 6.9L Diesel
1972 K10 Cheyenne Super Fleetside Short Bed - 350 - A/C
1971 VW SuperBeetle
1960 Wife
1984 Son
1986 Son
1989 Son

Previous Trucks
1967 C10 SWB (1980-1981)
1971 C10 LWB (1998-2004)
timcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:34 PM   #24
bmartin9122

It looks very similar, but until someone tries it out - we'll never know.
--Ramsey RE8000 winch
--33" tires
Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #25
stepside454

Im glad I looked at this. Would an amp help ? Ive been thinking about getting one of the units that doesnt have a cassete player. Ive got a 2 channel amps & a pair of 6x9s mounted in custom corner boxes. Do you think these USA units would sound good through an amp. Ive got a 30 yr old craig AM/FM cassete in it now, hoping the Autosound unit would be a big improvemt.