The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #26
Ric83

Re: Can you Fit Subs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod73
how do subs sound in a truck? are they extra loud (if so good) since its in such a small area compared to a car....do you have any problems with rattling? dont really wanna pay the $$ for dynomat lol
so you guys are just using standard truck boxes? i see some for like 88-98 chevy trucks etc never seen one for 73-87 so iam guessing you guys are just buying standard truck boxes?
It sounds awesome if you have it set up right. I would be parked in the driveway with the tunes playing and my mom would come out of the house and yell at me to turn it down cause stuff was falling off of the wall in the kitchen, ha ha. And this was w/ one twelve!
Ha ha, yeah, at least in mine, there was definite rattling. My back window would look like my sub when vibrating. Some dynamat would definately be a good idea. I am sure it would help a lot.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #27
PHOENIX

I really need some midrange sound in my setup. I have highs and lows, but not enough midrange. I would like to get some kick panels and put my mids in there.

As far as bass goes I get really good sound and range of bass with my setup even though the speakers are not in the manufacturers suggest air space or box type. My boxes are sealed, which I have found to be much better when the boxes are too small.

Inside the cab, the bass is really good, very strong and clean with no rattles.
From the outside the bass really falls off, which some would consider a good thing. You can definitely hear me coming if I have it pumpin, but it doesn't "carry" the deep bass as far as a car box would. My speakers are designed for larger boxes (more air space) with ports.

There are some rattles from the outside, but nothing even close to a car trunk rattle. I have no complaints about the outside rattle, it is minimal. The rattle I have comes from my drivers door. My hinge pin in worn and the door drops. Because of the pin/latching on that door it creates rattle.

You can buy steel cups that go in the back of the speaker boxes.
These allow you to get a little extra space for the speaker magnet.
You cut a hole in the box the size of the cup and use some sealant and screw the cups in. They are made of steel so they are strong. I don't have pictures of mine, but they has a black, almost baked on finish. I purchased them from my local Circuit City audio install shop. I think they charged me like $10 for the pair. Go to the back and talk with an installer, most of the sales guys will not know what you are talking about.
Because I couldn't find a picture I did up a quick drawing to show what they look like. These cups can be very helpful if you only need a 1/2-3/4" or so.
Attached Images

Last edited by PHOENIX; 03-22-2006 at 12:57 PM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #28
bodydropped

well my truck is just plain loud i have no dynamt in my truck whats so ever and my 15s would have made me here any noise and i have yet to but all i know is that my windsheild had a litle crack and well its grown to be 5 inchs and growin due to the bass and so such from my subs, im fixin to redo my setup again because its not loud enought even thou my parents can feel me like 6 blocks down the road but i have just enought highs to beable to sound perfect but when i redo it im pullin the 15s out and doin either 2 triple stack memphis 15s or 1 18 from memphis
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote