The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
68 Stepside
huh?

2005 Dodge/Infinity sound system upgrade????

Hey all,

My friend has an 05 Ram with the 6 disc factory head unit and the Infinity sound system. His parents bought him a Pioneer CD/MP3 head unit at christmas 2004. We tried to install it, but as some of you probably know, it's not just plug and play, although most sites would lead you to believe it is. I thought some time ago I had run across an adapter that plugs into the factory wiring, and the aftermarket stereo wires into it. Am I crazy, or do these things exist? And where would I be able to get one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this head unit has been taking up space in my friends closet for a year and a half.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: 2005 Dodge/Infinity sound system upgrade????

I've seen those adapters for older early to mid 90's GM cars...they may exist for the new stuff... may not.

Look on the bright side, the head unit in the closet doesn't take up much room.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
full foot notch

if you check schosche and metra for dash kits and wiring harness they most liekly do make something, i would also check crutchfield.com and sounddomain.com for info and parts
full foot notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
68 Stepside
huh?

Thanks for the replies guys. Crutchfield sucks, they'll sell you the harness, and tell you which wire to "splice" into....but it doesn't apply to 2005s. Scosche makes an amp integration harness that I think we're going to go with, just kinda spendy at 120 bucks.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:53 PM   #5
Orange70chevy

Go to Best Buy or any place that sells stereos. Ask for a wiring harrness for a 2005 Dodge Ram. When I bought mine it was like $50. You have to splice your stereo harness into it and then it plugs into your factory harness.
Orange70chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
full foot notch

usually most of the time ive seen, or at least on the older ford and infinity amp'd systems is that you could buy a harness that connects the two/three plugs that goto the factory amp, and tie the lines together since your pretty much bypassing the amp but keeping all the factory lines

hey, if you can get me the part number on that one for $120, i may be able to get it for cheaper thru my buddies shop, its prolly half that cost, but i need the part number to find out
full foot notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

yes, they exist. Metra is a major manufacturer. you can get the setup at any Best Buy or similar or just go to www.crutchfield.com and buy one there.

be sure to use PROPER crimpers to crimp your wires. DO NOT just twist the wires together and electrical tape and/or wire nut the wires together. for primo connection, use solder and shrink wrap.

stereo installations like this ARE plug and play if you buy the right parts. if you want to be ghetto, then hack the factory harness and have fun trying to figure out what goes to what - but i don't recommend it.

if you buy a kit from crutchfield, it should come with the wiring harness, you can possibly get the plastic casing to hold the radio in the dash (which is probably required) and they might give you removal tools to take out the old factory radio (if necessary).

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

PS - if you are totally stereo ignorant (which sounds like the case), i would call up Crutchfield right now, because your local pimply-faced Best Buy or Circuit City installer probably isn't going to know jack, whereas Crutchfield has an extensive database of information on your setup

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote