The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
scooter122983
The Man The Myth The Mystery

Cutting the dash

Dont worry I have not done it but the offer is on the table. I am curious as to why we should not cut our dash other than it takes away from the "origional looking dash". I just want a good stereo that sounds good and looks good. Is there a way that I can put in a new stereo keep the old head unit for looks and hook up the new stereo in a descret location other than the glove box. Im trying to stray from having to reach half across texas to change cd's without using a disc changer. I guess it sounds like im chasing a dream with this but im a different type of person.
scooter122983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Re: Cutting the dash

Well, for what you want, there's really no easy way of doing it. A changer or iPod would be the best route for you to go.

If cutting the dash doesn't bother you, then just do it.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
72 cheyenne pdx

with ACEX

The only other thing I could recommend is at the bottom of the heater controls, under the dash, there are 2 screws. You can make a center console to attach to those screws and mount a stereo in there. I am currently making a console that will reach the floor to house my stereo and a few other things, like cup holders, and possibly other guages. Currently I have my stereo in a custom box under the seat on the driver's side. It works pretty good for putting in CDs, but isn't that great for changing the radio station. I highly recommend a remote control, which I don't, so I kind of have to read by Brail. The upside of this is, it is hidden in its current location.

Good Luck
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #4
JameslovesJammie
God Bless Mr. T

Oh, for Heaven's sake! Cut the dash!

I always find it hilarious that half the people who will tell you not to do it have modified their frame, or changed out the gauges, or tinted windows, or put on some '80's rims with BF Radial T/A's, or done a motor transplant, or converted to HEI, or switched carbs, or any number of things that make the truck "Not Original".

The only reason not to cut is if your truck is in mint condition, or restored back to 100% factory condition just as when it rolled off the assembly line. If it's a daily driver, I can't think of a reason NOT to have a cd player in it! Hmm...10 watts vs 200, AM vs AM/FM/CD/MP3/Satellite radio, 16 bit digital quality vs...ummm...none?

My truck isn't on the road yet, but as soon as it is roadworthy you can bet I will cut the dash in a heartbeat!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
bagged74
its just $$$$$

I have recently cut a brand new replacement dash for a 70 chevelle SS, as well as a mint 63 impala with new dash trim. dont be scared......cut it, its just sheetmetal.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

I sit on both sides of the fence on this one. My '67 has the dash cut out because it's not original, however my '68 is all original and it'll only be 'all original' once so I'll never cut the dash.
On a really nice original car/truck- DON'T CUT THE DASH, but on a beater that will be customized- hack away! Just be VERY careful as you can cut too much very easily.

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Last edited by Brad; 07-29-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameslovesJammie View Post

I always find it hilarious that half the people who will tell you not to do it have modified their frame, or changed out the gauges, or tinted windows, or put on some '80's rims with BF Radial T/A's, or done a motor transplant, or converted to HEI, or switched carbs, or any number of things that make the truck "Not Original".

The only reason not to cut is if your truck is in mint condition, or restored back to 100% factory condition just as when it rolled off the assembly line. If it's a daily driver, I can't think of a reason NOT to have a cd player in it! Hmm...10 watts vs 200, AM vs AM/FM/CD/MP3/Satellite radio, 16 bit digital quality vs...ummm...none?

My truck isn't on the road yet, but as soon as it is roadworthy you can bet I will cut the dash in a heartbeat!
couldn't agree more.you got guys with slammed cnotchs and air ride worrying about cutting the dash.i think we all like to think were driving some rare ,future camaro or cuda.while, i wish that was the case i don't think it is.but hey,iv'e been wrong before.just get one of those stock looking ones you can hook an ipod into.and i'll see you guys on the lawn at peeble beach,
Old 08-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #8
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

Quote:

NO DOUBT, Very well put, I agree HACK AWAY!
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
munroe

unless your planning on selling your truck at barrett jackson in 2050 and want a 100 point origional, cut it. your doin it for you. i was gonna leave mine and put the deck in my glove box, but then i thought about what a pain in the ass it would be and how much i didnt want it, and just did what pleased me
Old 08-04-2007, 05:16 AM   #10
Mudder

Cut it!!!!! Carefully!!!!!
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:42 AM   #11
nates67

cut it but dont let like bestbuy or some one like that do it just had it done yesterday and i took it to a car audio place (if u live in or around anderson use norton car stereo) but that what u need to do
nates67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
BADSAM
J'ville Junkman

I'm no expert, but I think remote control units are available if it's not in you to cut that dash. Call Crutchfield at 1 888 955 6000. I bet they can help.
57 Chevy 210 Wagon - 9 Passenger (Wife's project-working on floorpans)
73 Corvette (17 yr old daughter's: Another project - what's wrong with me?)
53 Willys M38
BADSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #13
scooter122983

Quote:

You've swayed me, as I dont have a care to restore it but I just want it to look nice and i think that a upgrade in the audio area would be a good change. Now what would be the best method to cut and then mount the stereo.
Does anybody have any pics of a stereo mounted on a cut dash.

Last edited by scooter122983; 08-08-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #14
kaycee

I cut mine with a dremel and used those cut-off wheels be careful and use safety glasses.I went through about 5 of those disc just go slow and let the blade cut it don't force it to much.I used the mounting sleeve to mark it ,marked the line with a pencil and haked away.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:59 AM   #15
AceX
>130dB Moderator

What it should look like after cutting:

Make sure that the bottom of the A/C controls and the top of the headunit are parallel. It won't look right if th'yre even the slightest bit off.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #16
scooter122983

I guess I should have specified its a 71 c10.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #17
Pyrotechnic

67-72's seem to be easier as far as cutting the dash. You have a piece of flat metal to work with and there is no trim to modify. 73-87's on the other hand...pretty tough if you don't want a hack job.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #18
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

did mine on a 66 k20 best thing i did so far did it wiht a dremal uses 4-5 fiberglass cutting wheels and cuple grinding wheels
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #19
Pyrotechnic

In a 73-87, the typical DIN radio seems to be tough to do right. I've seen very clean installs of DIN radios in 73-87's, and I even had to clean up the hackjob that the previous owner of my 78 did and it turned out nice, however, in most cases if you just use the tabs in the DIN sleeve, you end up securing it to the plastic dash bezel. If you use one of the cover plates from an install kit, you cover up the screws that hold in the bezel. It just seems like you have to do some major deconstruction if you ever need to take the dash bezel off for any reason.

To mount a DIN radio to the metal underneath the dash like the stock shaft mount, you could make some brackets that to mount the DIN sleeve to the metal while still having the opening of the sleeve flush with the plastic bezel, then modify the bezel so the radio comes through it. This way, the bezel can be removed just like stock. If you look at the 89-91 Suburban/Crew Cab/Blazer, they use a GM DIN+1/2 radio in this manner from the factory.

Of course just securing the din sleeve into the plastic and using a coverplate looks great and is functional, it would be just my luck that something would go wrong with my dash lights or gauges and I'd have to take the bezel off.

Comparatively, 67-72's are much easier because you just gotta the metal in the dash and secure the DIN sleeve.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #20
AlienYouth

i just got in from hackin mine!!!!

-

+

=
AlienYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #21
raggedjim

See, that looks good. But the guy who had the truck I've got worked very hard to ensure mine would look like crap...

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #22
AlienYouth

lol, i broke my last 3 cutting disks for the dremel, so i got out the angle grinder luckily, that plastic trim covers up the imperfections of useing an angle grinder in that tiny space : )
AlienYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #23
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

The dash is cut on my '68 GMC and if it weren't...I'd have cut it myself.

Now my '78 Z28 on the other hand still has the old dual knob style radio...with a cassette player. And even though they made lots of them....as a stock matching numbers Z28 with the build sheet to prove it's real.... it won't be cut.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #24
Iron-Butt
454 club

mine was already cut.
1963 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl automatic with dual exhaust, pb, ps and 17's.
R.I.P "I will miss you.
1967 Chevrolet C-10 6 Cyl Custom lwb
1939 Chevrolet Coupe, 350 v8 automatic.
1935 Chevrolet 2 Dr Standard in the works.
2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide.
2023 Chevrolet Stingray Z51 Convertible.

I never want to grow up.
Iron-Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #25
derrickc

heres my idea, guy at futureshop did it, how does it look, you need a remote though.
Attached Images

Last edited by derrickc; 10-15-2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: wrong spelling
derrickc is offline   Reply With Quote