The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #26
blukangoo
Neighborhood Pickle Slinger

Re: Who has Subs under their seat?

I have a Subwoofer from a Bose Acoustimass 3 System with a 125 Watt Amp under my seat.
The Port is directed to the back and I had to raise the seat a little with spacers.

I sure wish I could fit my Hifonics in there from my Renault. Probably blow out my windows though.

My C10 Diary

Our cars:
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle 396 - TH350
1968 Chevrolet C10/CST 327 TH400/375
1969 Corvette Stingray 350 - Muncie Manual Trans
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino 350 - TH400
1970 Cutlass Supreme Convertible - 350 Rocket - TH350
1973 Camaro LT - New Engine Done - TH350

1973 Corvette Convertible 454 - TH400
blukangoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK72K10 View Post
OK guys, now why stuff 10lbs of monkey crap into the proverbial 5lb bag? The way I see it, the Blazer tank relocate under the bed serves as a solution to multiple problems. First, for all of us who still burn "Heaters" (And have loose gas caps like me and my K10...) it eliminates the potential for a real life flame job down the side of the truck after discarding said heater upon finishing your drag...and Lord help you if the tank is cracked or corroded & starts to leak...fumes = booms! Second (And you need to put your serious face when look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself this important question): Who really wants to be driving around town with 15+ gallons of extremely flammable material sitting less than 6" behind them?? The way I see it, by taking the extra time, putting in a little effort, and moving the tank out of the cab you can effectively double your fuel capacity, quadruple your safety factor, and infinitely improve your noise factor. Finally, for the young guys (And us older who are hard of hearing) the space freed up from moving the tank frees up more space that can be put to use holding more amps, more speakers, & more subs which all = more sounds!

Just a thought.
AK
First of all,the tank behind the seat is every bit as safe,if not safer(IMO),than the tank in the rear.The past four decades have proven that there have been few,if any,incidents as a result of having the tank in the cab.I`d be just as worried about rear-end hits (which occur more frequently)with a rear tank hanging below the frame.
The tank in these trucks is 21 gallons.Not 1/2 as much but 3 more gallons than a Blazer tank.
You gain alot of behind the seat area,but not enough for the spare tire that was removed from where the tank was installed.
So,it`s a trade-off and a matter of personal opinion,preference,and priority.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #28
grancuda

Here is my setup. It is a 6" Bazooka tube and I just put it in the center and I have the factory bench seat and it is about 2 inches from the bottom side of the seat. I also put my deck under the passenger side of the seat and used a aftermarket boat housing and put the amp on the drivers side. I put the antenna in the passenger side "B" pillar and it does good there. I put 2 4x6 speakers under the factory speaker hole in the dash. I have the factory block off plate on the dash so there are no signs of the radio. It really sounds good and has a really good sound to it. I have had friends think I have some 10's behind the seat. So I can listen to plenty of tunes, keep a stock look and leave the windows down and not worry about someone tearing up my dash. Also, the radio has a remote and I put a stick on outside mirror on the heater box below the dash and it makes the remote work great.

grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #29
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

That's slick. Where'd you get the floor mount for the headunit?
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #30
grancuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
That's slick. Where'd you get the floor mount for the headunit?

Boaters world.
It is made by sea worthy and it is just an under dash radio mounting kit.

Last edited by grancuda; 01-09-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #31
AK72K10

Sheesh, tough crowd! C'mon Bama, guys, that first post (Ahem..."Heaters" , "Real Flame Jobs", ect.) was mostly my sarcastic side making a poor attempt at humor, that being said, heres another:

You are trying to upgrade/add components to your rig but are runnin out of space, right? Money is an issue so moving the tank or buying smaller components is out. The way I see it, that leaves you with a couple options , if you were bound and determined to fit those 12's under the seat you could (* Now I have to borrow one of our UK friend's terms), "French" a couple of mounting brackets or add a few spacers (NOTE: Phone books may be too unstable and lead to accident or personal injury) designed to elevate or RAISE the seat a couple inches, hence giving you additional clearance for your 12's (Or Bazookas!), then you bolt em in, and reinstall seat leaving you plenty of space for additional amps/cables/cd changer (Best of all you keep that undersized container of extremely flammable liquid snuggled up behind you in the cab!).

Speaking of phone books, I had a theory and wanted to test it out so I placed one on my stock seat in my 72, slapped on my 10x cowboy hat , and hopped inside the cab. I was able to sit comfortably and not bump my head so I am absolutely positive this just might work. But if not, then there is always option #2:

Remove seat, trace the subs outline on floor in chalk (I know you have seen CSI), take your sawzall and cut out said outline, "French" (* See above note) up a couple of brackets, mount your subs (Comes with option of using duct tape and scraps of blue tarp for in climate weather), reinstall seat & other components, and WALLAH! sweet sounds of music!

All that being said I agree with special-K:
"...it`s a trade-off and a matter of personal opinion,preference,and priority."

Except my cab tank hold 16 Gallons...

AK

"Why Build It If You Can't Drive It?"
AK72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #32
john02fxdl

AK72K10, your sarcasm and witty humor cracks me up! I'm typing this on my laptop driving down the road...damn....I dropped my cig lighter, hold on, I'll find it..................
john02fxdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #33
theyammieguy
accepting donations

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen123 View Post
I dont feel like relocating the gas tank and the only place to put some subs is under the seat
I need some ideas, I don't really know anything about audio stuff
Buy a solo baric

See my builds here>http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n238/nickrp_2006/

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm going to Texas."
David Crockett
theyammieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #34
eseaton

Dont know if it helps but i built a console that fit between the seat and the dash that housed a 12 inside.

eseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #35
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK72K10 View Post
Sheesh, tough crowd! C'mon Bama, guys, that first post (Ahem..."Heaters" , "Real Flame Jobs", ect.) was mostly my sarcastic side making a poor attempt at humor, that being said, heres another:

You are trying to upgrade/add components to your rig but are runnin out of space, right? Money is an issue so moving the tank or buying smaller components is out. The way I see it, that leaves you with a couple options , if you were bound and determined to fit those 12's under the seat you could (* Now I have to borrow one of our UK friend's terms), "French" a couple of mounting brackets or add a few spacers (NOTE: Phone books may be too unstable and lead to accident or personal injury) designed to elevate or RAISE the seat a couple inches, hence giving you additional clearance for your 12's (Or Bazookas!), then you bolt em in, and reinstall seat leaving you plenty of space for additional amps/cables/cd changer (Best of all you keep that undersized container of extremely flammable liquid snuggled up behind you in the cab!).

Speaking of phone books, I had a theory and wanted to test it out so I placed one on my stock seat in my 72, slapped on my 10x cowboy hat , and hopped inside the cab. I was able to sit comfortably and not bump my head so I am absolutely positive this just might work. But if not, then there is always option #2:

Remove seat, trace the subs outline on floor in chalk (I know you have seen CSI), take your sawzall and cut out said outline, "French" (* See above note) up a couple of brackets, mount your subs (Comes with option of using duct tape and scraps of blue tarp for in climate weather), reinstall seat & other components, and WALLAH! sweet sounds of music!

All that being said I agree with special-K:
"...it`s a trade-off and a matter of personal opinion,preference,and priority."

Except my cab tank hold 16 Gallons...

AK

"Why Build It If You Can't Drive It?"

Are you deliberately trying to be offensive or does it just come naturally?

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #36
grancuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp View Post
Are you deliberately trying to be offensive or does it just come naturally?
It's not his fault, he is still a little upset they discontinued the Joe Cammel promotion 10 years ago 'cause he almost had enough for the tent.