The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
54chevytruck

need audio help/suggestions

I recently got a 54 chevy c3100 that had a new audio system put in it in the late 80's it has 1 speaker in each door and 1 speaker behind each of the bucket seats. the head unit has a cassette player and might have a cd player but i dont think it does.(the truck is about 70 miles away from me for the next few weeks)

I was looking for suggestions to upgrade the sound system. I can deal with the old head unit for now, but i would like to put in better speakers. there is a compartment under the passenger seat, i was thinking about mounting an amp down there maybe? if so i have no idea what type.

Also, the gas tank was removed from behind the seat so there is some extra room. should i get an enclosed sub to put between the speakers back there?

attached is a picture of the truck and the interior. the square in the dash is where the head unit is(sorry i forgot to take a picture of it)

any comments would be appreciated

thanks,

Austin
Attached Images

54chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: need audio help/suggestions

Cool looking rig! You have tons of options out there. Do you have a budget in mind?

If you're just looking for some decent sound, a set of Alpine Type S 6x9's in the doors (they look like 6x9's) with an amp that puts out 50-100 watts per channel and 1 or 2 shallow subs in the back would be one of many options.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
54chevytruck

I don't really have a budget Max would be 500-600 on speakers and maybe 300-400 on a head unit when I get ready to replace it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Audio stuff adds up fast, but mainly because of the high hidden costs of wire for amps/speakers. With that max I'd say you could replace all 4 speakers with Alpine Type S's and get a 4 channel amp to match em and call it good. That wouldn't be a sub, but the amp'd 6x9's might be enough.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
54chevytruck

i dont know much about audio systems so i just figured $1000 would be good enough...

for speakers, a small to medium sub, and an amp what do you think it would cost me?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:17 AM   #6
ajbelfair

Gotta agree with tubbed. I had some Alpines in my S10 Blazer and they put out enough punch with an amp. If you were going to do the speakers, you gotta have the amp too or it's just not worth the time and money.

All together, 6x9 Alpines are running about $120/pair and a 4 channel Alpine amp is about $200-300, depending on model. The speakers don't need all that much wattage, so any four channel will do. To add a sub, you'd need another amp, the woofer, a box, wiring, etc...plan on waiting if you're on a strict budget.

As long as you can do some installation yourself, wiring it all up shouldn't be too bad. There are a few guys on ebay that sell amp wiring kits for a decent price.

If it matters, I've had the same Alpine setup for five years in two different vehicles. I've run the systems pretty hard and I've never had an issue, so I'm an Alpine loyalist now
Old 06-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
54chevytruck

for a sub, i dont need it to be too big, how much would a small to medium woofer, box, wiring, and a mono amp cost me?

i dont really have a set budget, i just dont want to break my bank...

Last edited by 54chevytruck; 06-29-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
4ofakind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54chevytruck View Post
for a sub, i dont need it to be too big, how much would a small to medium woofer, box, wiring, and a mono amp cost me?

i dont really have a set budget, i just dont want to break my bank...
Austin, Here is one way to go:

Run Alpine SPS-619 6x9 front and back (don't know rear size) like Tubbed said $240 for both sets.

Run an Alpine 8" dual coil SWR-843D in a ported box @ 30-35Hz $160 for the sub. You could build the box yourself for around $50 or have a friend build you one and it may cost you $100. A shop will charge you $150-200 for a hand built box (each estimated cost includes all materials).

I would prefer to run an Alpine MRX-V60 5ch Amp (I like to use all the same brands in my systems as much as possible) , but at $400 it will put you a bit over budget. If your current head unit is real good you can hold off swapping it and use the money on the Alpine amp. If not you can get an Infinity Ref 5350a 5ch amp from Amazon for $213.

So with your $600 speaker budget ($613 above listed costs w/ Infinity Amp) you get a sub, 4 speakers and a 5ch amp. Add $100 for a sub box (assuming you don't build it yourself) and another $100 for an amp wiring kit, rca's, and wiring to all speakers. If you install all this yourself you are looking at $813 give or take a few bucks based on how good a shopper you are. If you have a shop install it add more for labor charges.

Mal

Last edited by 4ofakind; 06-29-2011 at 11:45 AM.
4ofakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Redcap

Might be able to get away a bit cheaper through here: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
54chevytruck

4ofakind, i just priced out the sub, 2 sets of 6x9s, and the alpine amp from onlinecarstereo.com and it totaled out to be $568.00

redcap, do you do business with that site regularly? is it reliable?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
4ofakind

Quote:
4ofakind, i just priced out the sub, 2 sets of 6x9s, and the alpine amp from onlinecarstereo.com and it totaled out to be $568.00

redcap, do you do business with that site regularly? is it reliable?
I bought my MB Quart amps and Cadence dual amp kit from Amazon. I don't like dealing w/ online companies if I can't talk to a live person on the phone, but if I'm forced to I deal w/ the biggest company I can afford.
The prices i listed were from Alpine's website (MSRP) so actual retail and your shopping abilities may be more benifitial to you. I do not have any personal experience w/ onlinecarstereo.com

Mal
Old 06-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
54chevytruck

i just priced it out on amazon, the amp is $100 more expensive. it might be worth it for the fact that i know amazon, i dont know onlinecarstereo.com
Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #13
stich626
Account Suspended

if the doors are 6 by 9 alpines are ok. but they are still 6 by9
I'd get 6.5 seperates and a 6by9 adapter plate(crutchfield.com is one source)
and 6.5s for the rear.. with one good dual voice coil sub..
if keeping the 6 by 9's and they are fine, I'd go with the upper pioneers
the alpines are power hungry(most) and they don't sound all that much better than speaker half their cost..
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13612W0...and%7cJL+Audio (sub)
6 by 9
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA6...83R.html?tp=91
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA6...64R.html?tp=91
6.5"
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_107MM65...501.html?tp=95
thats under 400.00 for front rear and sub..
last years head units are cheap..
and an amp..
good luck..
remember it's an old truck.. they don't have 300 lb of sound deadner in them..
being overly picky with the speakers(besides the one beside you)
is fruitless.. as the cab is going to "color" the sound anyways.. unless you spend big money to change that..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
stich626
Account Suspended

or for tighter bass
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13610W1...brank7%5d10%22
dual voice coils are big money in jl audio.. so one driven by a mono amp would be fine..
you really don't need a 12" unless you're into alot of rap/dance music..
I has 2 12" jl's in my 97 f-150 and it was overkill..
running off a 250w x2 rockford fosgate amp..
if you really like tight bass two jl 8" subs like
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1368W1V...5brank6%5d8%22
really kick the sound in a nice sealled box..
if ya want the boom.. dual 12" will be the order of the day..
build a ported box and use the 99 buck jl's
that reminds me to pull the two 12" kenwoods for the yardsale..
I'd go to a show,(it is car show season) and ask to hear a truck that has dual subs..
then see if they'll play it with only one sub running.. you'll find for a standard cab truck. one sub is more than enough in the 10-12" size the 8" I'd run 2 and not in mono..
if you go to a audio showroom to hear the subs first.. bring a c/d recording of the digital undergrounds song the humpty dance.. not an mp3 or i tunes download.. a recording from the c/d or album..
even some of the better known sub brands have problems with this bass line
bbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRBBBBBBBBBmmmmmmmmmMMMMMBBBBB
watch the cone. if it's all over the place . pass
Old 06-30-2011, 01:28 AM   #15
54chevytruck

Stitch, for now i think i will take your advice on the polk 6.5 components and the pioneer 6x9 4 ways. since there is no longer a gas tank behind the seat, there is just a rolled metal cover with 2 speakers in it. i will put the 6.5's in that and just leave room for probably a single enclosed sub between them.

now i just have to decide which sub and which amp...

i think it would be easier to use a 5 channel amp since i dont plan on having a sub over 300W. would there be any reason to get a 4 channel and mono instead?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #16
54chevytruck

I have been reading several different sources and i think i like the component speakers better than the 6x9s for the rears.

what is the best spacing for the components? the rear panel is about 2.5-3ft tall, i would just assume have the tweeters at the top and the woofers about a foot below them...
Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 AM   #17
stich626
Account Suspended

I'd run a 4 channel and a mono. for the sub..
subs draw allot of power, and the power surply in the amp. might not like driving them all.. yes they'll do it, but they also start clipping and that kills speakers , most times tweeters..
as far as the rear speakers,, the farther away from the seat back the better, so the lower you put them the more air room in front of the cone the speaker will have..
Old 06-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #18
54chevytruck

for the sub/subs, i think my options would be:

1) Alpine MRP-F300 which has 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode) to run 2- JL Audio 8W1v2-4 8inch subs

2)Alpine MRP-M500 which has 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms to run JL Audio 12W0v2-4

It would be just under $100 more expensive to do the 2-8in subs rather than one 12in one. would that set up be worth a little extra money.

oh, and ive decided that since this truck is a toy that im doing everything else pretty good on, i may as well put a bit more money into the sound system...
Old 06-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
for the sub/subs, i think my options would be:

1) Alpine MRP-F300 which has 150 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode) to run 2- JL Audio 8W1v2-4 8inch subs

2)Alpine MRP-M500 which has 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms to run JL Audio 12W0v2-4

It would be just under $100 more expensive to do the 2-8in subs rather than one 12in one. would that set up be worth a little extra money.

oh, and ive decided that since this truck is a toy that im doing everything else pretty good on, i may as well put a bit more money into the sound system...
depends what type music you play the most?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #20
54chevytruck

not a ton of rap. some rock. mostly either country or top 40 song list type radio stations
Old 06-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #21
stich626
Account Suspended

go with 10 or 12.. in a sealed box..
Old 06-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #22
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I'd go with the 8's for that music genre. I however wouldn't go with that amp. I don't have any experience with it, but I'd feel more comfortable going with a true sub (mono) amp. Something with only 1 channel and 1/2 ohm stable.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #23
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to give my take on onlinecarstereo.com. I've purchased through them 5 times now. The 1st 4 purchases were flawless, and the products I received were all brand new, clean and I had no issues at all. The last purchase I made was a set of components. Everything was perfect until I opened the box and found 1 of the speakers actually broken at the frame. Both this shipping box, factory box and even the styrofoam was perfect, so I have to say this wasn't even onlinecarstereo.com's fault, but JBL putting a broken speaker in the package. This was back in May. I sent it back and still haven't received the replacement. I followed up on it yesterday and the customer service really isn't that great, but I did get a call back from the warranty department apologizing for the delay and saying a new set will be shipped by COB today. The time frame I got was 4-8 weeks for a review of the product, and I'm at the 6 week point, so at least they are within their range. Overall, I'm still happy and would purchase through them without any hesitation...it's hard to beat their prices and I'm in Cali so their shipping is very fast for me.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #24
54chevytruck

thank you tubbed, i was waiting for info on them. i read their policy, it is set up to where they can completely screw you so it had me wary, but if they seem to be taking care of you, then i will start looking at their equipment
Old 06-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
4ofakind

Austin,

Who is doing the audio install for your truck? What is your/their experience level? These two points are also very important to the type of equipment you may want to get. Ease of install helps reduce labor charges; and for the inexperienced, headaches.
Stich makes some valid points, but a crappy install makes all advice moot.

Mal