The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #26
chris mc bride

Re: looking for info on quality audio w/o braking bank

DMAWOHOTO Did you iss read original post audio w/o breaking the bank. Sounds like you out about 2 twice my budeget.
First I don't even know what the hell a IPOD is or does so I know I will not be paying for a hookup. I also know there will be no need for tv.I'll keep the tradition of the panel.If kid can't sit still I'll bust hisa$$ just I was told when I was kidi riding in this with grandparents on vacations. Yea you didn't mention a tv but figure someone will sooner or later.
If don't mind let me know what they charging for console .I have a guy wanting one like I did for little brother and not sure what going rae is.I know what materails cost and how much time it'll take.Just don't like to leave lot of money on the table.If can get few pics after dont it be coo too.
I found a Kenwood head unit today with 3 preouts and in great shape so I have a start.
Now if I can just land this new job I'll be able to roll on this thing.Going from damn near nothing to 125g's plus a year will realy help my toy projects.
so I have kenwood head unit,a Alpinne V-12 amp.Now two more matching amps(yea) and cpl 6x9's and 4 x 6.5's and cpl subs and oh yea finishing interrior right after body works finished and paints done and new powertrain installed along with suspenion parts,new wheels and tires. Man ant this fun better be because it aint cheap.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
dmwphoto

LOL! I hear ya! no TV though....
Good luck on the job, that will really help. Will post pics when done along with a soundclip
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 AM   #28
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAAF View Post
and Jimmiedean your running a server in your truck?
No server, but I could. Just a 7" tablet and some solid state storage. My truck is well in range of my wifi router in the driveway, so I will be able to transfer files with my desktop. I won't keep a ton of stuff local, but I can plug in a removable USB drive if I want to pack on the entertainment.

Considering the stereo cost less than my seats/carpet/upholstery, I feel like I am doing all right. Since I am doing all the fabrication and install, it only costs me time and hardware.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #29
WAAF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
No server, but I could. Just a 7" tablet and some solid state storage. My truck is well in range of my wifi router in the driveway, so I will be able to transfer files with my desktop. I won't keep a ton of stuff local, but I can plug in a removable USB drive if I want to pack on the entertainment.

Considering the stereo cost less than my seats/carpet/upholstery, I feel like I am doing all right. Since I am doing all the fabrication and install, it only costs me time and hardware.
ya, I just bought a new dell laptop and for a c note got a notebook with some crazy 720 gig drive.. can't wait to load it up....

and to the O/P you might want to rethink the i pod thing.. most new radios already have the ubs port and a 160 gig ipod holds most people whole c/d,album collection.. I put off getting one ill this year.. and it is much better than carry'n around a bunch of c/d's best 180.00 I've spent in a long time, untill the c note notebook HA.
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #30
jimmydean

An iPod alone is a bad idea, but it would work in a pinch. You are better off getting a $100 pioneer deck with USB and plug it in, or get a $20 line driver to up the output of the headphone jack before sending it to the amp. The deck gives you the option of CD's.

Since you are running multiple amps, you would want an active crossover anyway.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #31
chris mc bride

Ok jimmydean and waaf are trrying to launch their trucks.Me I just want to have ground pounding system.Maybe not quite as loud as my dragster on nitro but close will be fine.Besides NHRA top fueler reads 2 on rictor scale.Now if you can get your system doing that Im impressed.Mine just old nostalgia thing. Would love a system thatcould play recording of fuel motor running and being rapped cpl times and give exact sound as standing next to the car. That be bad.
question for you techno guys is there anyway to make a led lited device that would respond to the lope of the engine.Kind of like a equalizer but working off engine sound.Always thought that would be cool. Also Have idea for something simular working off throttle position starts off green about 2/3's goes yellow caution and then red for danger zone at full throttle. Plus a read out that says hold on,or oh sh!t when you hit a switch(nitrous that is). Yea nothing to do with stereo but since you techno guys are on thought I would throw it out there.
Well Picked up a Kenwood head unit cpl days ago off ebay should be here in week,Looking at some speakers thet are 6.5 seperates. Looking for the amps more than anything right now but haven't seen any that match my older alpine. Problem is worried about anyones amps that are 5 or so years old being any good if user was abusive or screwed up wiring stuff up. Might have to try to sale mine and get three newer models or just put mine in the Z/28 I just picked up motor for a song well 100 song,needs crank so Im guessing bigger better.
Is there any manufacture who would have three amps same look but differant output and channels. One amp is just subs I think will have to reveiw post to see suggestions,heck Im geting lost with the techno guys and all they are doing.
Also best way to accent light amps,need blue lights(not cops have seen enough of those) and ablity to make fit specail shape with number of bulbs to be deteremined by shape and sapcing. Plus if they need to be for 12 volt system of coarse.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #32
WAAF
Account Suspended

this might help on the lighting http://www.superbrightleds.com/

the amps, most good brands have a group of amps that look the same but are different wattage/channel/sub.. rockfordfosgate has the power models and then the punch.. I'm sure most do the same as alot of guys do the shows and what the amp group to look the same..

the l.e.d. following the engine.. I have an idea.. that I'll be try'n when I have free time..
I have an old boom box that had the leds that followed the music and that curcuit is seperate from the rest of the box.. and a 4 wire hook up..
I'm sure if I add two elcheapo mikes near the tail pipes. I can get them to follow the engine, the leds are all red but thats easy to change.. mount it in the cowl hood scoop..
j.c.whitney had alot of dig. tachs that where led with green/yellow/red that you could make work.. or find a 90's g.m. dig tach dash gauge..
Old 12-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #33
jimmydean

Old school used stuff is a crap shoot. I was going to use all late 80's Rockford Punch series amps because I know how solid they are, but they tend to be beat to hell or they want a fortune for them. You can get a good deal on older gear that might be in great shape. The old MTX Road Thunder amps are great, too. Once you get your speaker layout done first, then you will have an idea of how much power you will need.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 12-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #34
tubbedII
needs more $$$

I haven't searched too in depth, but the only amps I know of that are the same size/dimensions but different wattage are the digital alpines (they are stackable too)...but these are real spendy amps...they do get great reviews though!

I agree with jimmydean...get the speakers 1st and THEN the amps since they'll dictate how much wattage you really need.

I can't help with the lighting of the rpms, but showcasing amps with lights is all based on the design of your amp racks which you're keeping a secret... The lighted amps I like when at shows are clean and simple designs. I like when there's a false floor built with a plexiglass top but you can only see through the areas where the amps are located...then the lighting is in between the amps so the box below the floor itself is glowing. I think the cheap neon lights would work well as long you don't see the lights themselves..just the effect.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #35
chris mc bride

Well its recessed in side wall with lights going around perimeter. I could have lightes recessed behind the cut out area which is kind of idea to accent around amps and will be behind lexan cover with small fan providing cooling for amps. Not sure you have ever paid attention to side braces in a Panel truck our not but they are about 3 to 4 inches deep at bottom and I think 2 1/2 plus at tops. thought about doing back area in slightly reflective finish. Not a chrome or mirror by no means. Im checking thru cpl audio mags now to get ideas. Idea for truck is to usable but bordering on show quality.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #36
dmwphoto

I went with these Rockford fosgate amps for size and no heat. got a 4 channel and a 1 channel for my system.
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=
Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #37
chris mc bride

OK on speakers. Which ones are best at handling 150 watts or so. Im not trying to shake world but do like it little loud when riding down road,helps drowned out my singing along and nobody should have to hear that. Theres differance in me and 99% of drunks singing kareoke ,I know I can't sing.Have knid of settled it to the four in rear probaly 6.5's and two indoors probaly 6.5 seperates.Still up in air on set in kicker panels since so close to doors. My 2005 Dodge has 6.5 in doors and they sound pretty damn good for factory stuff.. Ifg going with 6 speakers and two subs .Im thinking the higher wattage speakers might be inorder. There are time I have to drowned folks with rap crap out with certain cd I have that seems to get their attention,usually not in a make them happy way though. No offence their Tubbed II. Naother question is there any real need to add sound matting to sides of truck,as they will be covered with paneling and upholstery.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #38
tubbedII
needs more $$$

This is what I was talking about with false floor with plexi:

or

You can get more creative of course, but you can easily incorporate the idea into your panel design.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #39
jimmydean

My separates are rated at 140W or so RMS, my coax 6.5's are more like 80W RMS. Don't get hung up on the power rating, focus on what your budget is and what is the best SOUNDING speaker you can get for the price. Listen to at least a few different ones, as many as you can if possible. Find out what the applied power is to the pair you are listening to, then go from there.

I love Polk and Infinity mids/highs. I had some 6.5 separate MB Quart's in my Toyota that were incredible. I am not that loyal when it comes to electronic brands, so I base my purchase on what something sounds like, not who made it.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #40
WAAF
Account Suspended

look at sound and how efficent they are.. a 150w 6.5 that is a power waster, will not be as loud as an efficent 100 w one..
speakers I like you might hate.. as the sound I like you may hate.. the music you play might be different..
I like guitar driven music alot.. and 80's dance music beasty boys, nwa, odd balls like vast.. and even heavy pantera.etc..
I run boston senterates 3 way pros 6.5.3's because a lot of the music I like has a ton or mid range punch.. and music with keyboards.. asia etc.. and I like it loud..
but I like tight bass not so much of the boom boom boom.. so my boxes are most times sealed units.. with a 2 drivers 10" or 12"
this next one might be 2 10" with a seperation inside the box with 2 8" passive radiators..
the box I have that was in my last truck was 2 12" jl audios in a ported box.. it was a little loose. bass wise . it hit nice.. but muddy at the same time..
best sounding box I ever had was 4 drivers. 2 10" and 2 8" mid bass drivers all seperated air space it was sealed at the 10" and ported for the 8" was build for an 75 cutlass and fired into the faux back seat back..
if you can here speakers in a car all the better.. speakers in asound room or store will not sound that way in your car/truck..
I'd spend the cash on the speakers near you the driver.. seperates.. and coax in the back.. as they are more a "fill" speaker..
don't spend a ton on speakers if the truck is still a tin can.. you'll get better sound with so so speakers and some dyna mat/fatmat than high end speakers and nothing..
the bostons 6.5.3's that I have for my monty .I bought the speakers in 2000 and they where 700.oo then.. you can blow your whole budget here..
I'm married now so that never happen again..HA..

alpine are power hungry, infinity

•sensitivity: 88 dB

jl's are like 91 db

polk are 94 db
the higher the # the less power to be loud.. but sometimes sound like crap..

good luck..
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #41
chris mc bride

man Now I know why I stick to simple stuff like blown injected engines making 3000 hp or more lot simpler. Ok I guess it depends on you veiw of it. To me a engine is simplest thing in world lots of air,more fuel burned more power simple!
The comment speakers in store sund lot differant than in vehicle is one thing I have trouble figuring what differance will be.
Yea lots of options with a panel truck 10 feet of interrior.Will not be tin can everything get upholstery ecept floor I have great deal on some Brazilain cherry for it.If never seen this it is freaking gorgeous stuff. Think sound matt on walls especaily ares speakers will be mounted will be big help in keeping it clean.
On subs and rule of thumb as to amount of area for size or power and cones help with? Yea Not upto date on sound system,then again if was I never would have started post on it. I can build about anything out of wood,metal or fibergalss so custom box for subs will be easy if I know what Im after to start. Ok metal probaly not what i want to use. Im thinking either 8 or 10" on subs.'
As for my tast in music.ZZ top,Aerosmith,Seager,Led Zepplin,Lynnyrd Skynnyrd,Some southern rock style country. the kind of stuff that makes you drive faster,yea I need that might get me past 200 ticket market before I'm 50 got 5 years. Oh yea I tried grownup thing one day haed it too!!!!!!
Im going to go back thru repl\ys and take notes and go from there thanks GUYs lots of helpful tips.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #42
dmwphoto

I like your style Chris. Alot like me....
Old 12-13-2011, 09:36 PM   #43
WAAF
Account Suspended

little molly hatchet, beat'n the odds, china grove, boston smoke'n, rick emmit drive time, any v/h, iron maiden, queensrych, vast,38 special.. kiss, godsmack..
with the music you like. I'd look at the non sub amps "headroom" this give the kick drums the punch.. the snare drum that crack. that riff that blast in. that live like punch..
Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 AM   #44
chris mc bride

No problem with boston ,love molly hatchet Im always flirting with disaster and find it at times.Lots of Kiss hey you forgot Nickleback got to love any band that has that much oral adiction.Matter of fact most your suggestions are in my cd case. so what is a non sub amp and whats headroom,pretty sure i can't walk upright thru truck only 45" hight.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #45
WAAF
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mc bride View Post
No problem with boston ,love molly hatchet Im always flirting with disaster and find it at times.Lots of Kiss hey you forgot Nickleback got to love any band that has that much oral adiction.Matter of fact most your suggestions are in my cd case. so what is a non sub amp and whats headroom,pretty sure i can't walk upright thru truck only 45" hight.
the amps you are running the other speakers off if..
headroom is the amps ability to have a little extra power to give that dynamic live punch..
like the who's who are you when the guitar hit.. you want that amp to have the reserve power avil. to play those note at the same db difference that it was recorded with.. amps that don't have that reserve will play the notes but it'll not hit you.. like that windmill riff was recorded with..
most good amps have enough.. some are better than others..
rockfordfosgate didn't pick the name punch for nothing.. (note no idea on their newer stuff )
most people with a big sub amp run a cap (capacitor) 1/2 farad or more..(fared is its rating)
I've found that wiring a 1/2 fared cap to the full range amps (non sub) really help with the dynamic range punch as the amp needs the electric power to use that headroom..
but thats something you can add later if needed, your 65 amp alt isn't gonna cut it with 3 amps in the back,, just an fyi..
Old 12-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #46
jimmydean

I would run something like a 10" Polk audio MM sub. They take very little space, have a solid hit and don't require a ton of power. I ran 8's in my Toyota and wanted to run 10's in my '66 but don't have the room. You can do a lot with 2 well placed 10's.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 12-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #47
dmwphoto

after two weeks in the audio shop I picked it up today. They did an incredible job on the instal and the sound is fantastic. The features/pandora/bluetooth etc really make it nice. The console they built for me is also exceptional. It houses the sub and is wired for my iPhone to connect. I will post up some images as soon as I can.

Merry Christmas all!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #48
dmwphoto

couple pictures. hard to take photos in the cab

Old 12-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #49
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Looks great! I love my 994 so much in my DD, it's what I bought for the blazer...the 995 also had HD and Pandora...pretty cool! How the heck can it play pandora though?

I like the clean console trick too...very nice touch...go any pics of the rest of the system?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #50
dmwphoto

thanks! there really is no way to show the other components based on how we had to put them. None of it is visible. sub is hidden inside the console, 6.5" seperates and both amps are under the seats that the 4" seperates are in the dash. (under original speaker opening)
Will try to get some images this weekend and post back