The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Re: Bringing home 69 Pete

I'm holding out for a 46A D8H or 66A D9G, I'm a powershift guy, thats why I've got 3 D4D powershift and one D4D direct drive. I keep the direct drive to pull the 40 scraper. Is that Courtland you are referring to on the peterbilt people near Stockton. I've talked to them on the phone about powersteering on the 288, I hope to go see them this summer.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

66 tilt. Wish it could find a home
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQQL IT View Post

66 tilt. Wish it could find a home
Posted via Mobile Device
You saying that truck is for sale?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
You have a good eye, it looks like a T and T but its not, its Bodean Sand and Agg out of Santa Rosa.
Never heard of Bodean, and probably not the original owners. The biggest buyer of those trucks when new in the bay area was Kaiser Sand and Gravel.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #30
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

The strange thing about this truck is that the frame and running gear is painted pink. All the air lines are pink and appear to have been painted at Newark before the cab was put on or the truck was wrecked and they put a cab kit on. The cab does not have any pink on it at all, every part of the rolling chassis is pink underneath the blue which was painted after the cab was put on. At one time there was a cement company around the bay area that had two tone pink mixer trucks, I have a picture of one, maybe the truck was not finished in Newark when the order was cancelled and the new owner had it finished in blue and white. Anyone have any ideas? I am told that someone has the records that will give you the first owners name and other details by vin number.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
mrolds88

Mary Kay truck??? LOL. Interesting. I would think the PACCAR would have info on that vin. Maybe a call to the PR department might yield something.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #32
factorystock

Quote:
The strange thing about this truck is that the frame and running gear is painted pink. All the air lines are pink and appear to have been painted at Newark before the cab was put on or the truck was wrecked and they put a cab kit on.
Yes, pink was the correct original color for Kaiser Sand and Gravel trucks, and they were a big operation back then. Later trucks were painted blue with the same paint scheme. Here is a period photo from 1965.These trucks are 281 butterflys, not tilt front ends.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #33
factorystock

Quote:
At one time there was a cement company around the bay area that had two tone pink mixer trucks,
Kaiser Sand and Gravel
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #34
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Hey, factorystock, you been holding out on us, those are great pics and have you got anymore, can't wait to add them to my collection. I'm convinced my rolling chassis was pink at the Newark plant, even the battery box is pink inside and out. Maybe this was the first truck to be blue and they just kind of changed in mid stream. What year did they end 281 production? Do you have any contacts at Kaiser, do you know what year they went to blue?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
factorystock

Quote:
What year did they end 281 production? Do you have any contacts at Kaiser, do you know what year they went to blue?
I believe the 281 model ended in 1975. But the last Peterbilt 281 with square doors was 1972. No contacts, and don't know when they went blue. Here is a 281 butterfly hood that probably was originally bought by Kaiser also.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAX99-BS3G4
Old 05-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #36
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Well, thats interesting, possibly our truck is a younger sister to the 3 T and T trucks, I've seen 3 trucks together in some pics. Thanks for the info, let us know if you think of anymore leads. Do you have any info on Bodean sand and agg, if you google it they appear to still be alive and well.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #37
factorystock

The key is to find the original purchasers of these trucks. There may very well be some pink under the blue on the '66.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #38
factorystock

Another Kaiser mixer, looks like pink too!
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
factorystock

The only documentation I have from "GO" magazine.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #40
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Working to get 69 Pete compatable with Hyster lowboy, just got done with tail roll. Didn't want full or frame width tail roll so I used a bottom track roller off my D4D parts machine, don't think its ever been done before. Now I'm mocking up my winch mounts, space is tight so everything has to be just right. Using Tulsa 30000 lb hydraulic winch, when the winch is done the last thing to do is the fifth wheel ramps. Hyster has nice set of fold up ramps on the back but for hard to load items better to load from the front.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #41
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

These pics make it easier to understand what I'm trying to acomplish, most of the newer lowboys are all hydraulic now. Mine is 60s old school but are great for loading dead trucks and equipment.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #42
factorystock

One of my favorite models, the 281. You can only buy it in resin, never was made by the plastic model industry,what a shame, including AMT. Duplicated the period alcoa 5 hole aluminum front wheels by puddying up the modern 10 hole wheels made up AMT.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #43
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

I don't know anything about the resin models but I have never understood why you can't buy a narrow nose pete in 1:25 from any of the normal plastic people like AMT. Only 359s, this seems like a major blunder on their part espeicially since the popularity of the movie truck in Duel, how many AMT kits would they have sold of the Duel truck in both single and three axle version. What are those people thinking? I think we should start a major revolt until we get one.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #44
C10 - C90 Bill

Looking good.

I'm also a fan of the movie "Duel". You may already know this, but a member over at one of the heavy truck board sites owned one of the Duel trucks for a while. I say "one" as there were actually three. I believe his was the most popular one. He also had the original Trailer to boot.

Also interesting that you mentioned "AMT". My favorite brand since the early 60's. Just was looking at some yesterday at a hobby shop.

Bill

Last edited by C10 - C90 Bill; 05-19-2013 at 12:12 AM.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #45
factorystock

Quote:
I don't know anything about the resin models but I have never understood why you can't buy a narrow nose pete in 1:25 from any of the normal plastic people like AMT. Only 359s, this seems like a major blunder on their part espeicially since the popularity of the movie truck in Duel, how many AMT kits would they have sold of the Duel truck in both single and three axle version. What are those people thinking? I think we should start a major revolt until we get one.
I agree, they blew it! They blew it with the Kenworth conventional also. They only released the wide nose 925. Where is the 50's version of the Kenworth conventional ?, which was very similar to the narrow nose 50's Pete. Here is a 3 axle version ( model 351 ) I also built. You can never settle with just one version of these great trucks!
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #46
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Thats a really nice 351 there factorystock, so this is resin instead of plastic because I don't know the difference. I started seeing bits and pieces showing up on ebay but have not really learned what its all about. Another problem I have is I'm into 1;25 diecast, there are lots of really cool lowboy trailers in 1;64 but hardly any in 1;25. I have the two B model macks with 35 ton hyster folding goosenecks, the AC in orange and the forest service version. If you want a 3 axle lowboy in 1;25 you have to buy it as a set with a transtar 400 I think. All the great lowboy manufacters can be had in 1;64 but not 1;25, I don't get it.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #47
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Trying to get the 288 ready for its maiden drive on memorial day, doing more clean up in back of cab. Wasn't expecting what I found, original set of pete keys and an old california registration, looks like it was a Kaiser when new, not totally unexpected considering the rolling chassis was painted pink at the plant. In the process of changing out all air lines one by one that are pink since that would date them at 44 years old, going to cost alot of money. So Kaiser still had it on the road in 84, not sure how long Bodean worked it. Let ya know how monday went.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #48
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
Never heard of Bodean, and probably not the original owners. The biggest buyer of those trucks when new in the bay area was Kaiser Sand and Gravel.
Yep, called that one right at post #29.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #49
special-K
Special Order

Not to hijack,but that Hyster lit is cool! That's a mid-late '50s Reo Gold Comet!
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #50
Peanutbutter
Account Suspended

Factorystock, you were right, I've been researching Henry J Kaiser and there is alot on him but not much photo history on Kaiser sand. Is there anything left of Kaiser Sand and Gravel? These are the only two pictures I have found. You would think there is a ton of photo history out there somewhere about Kaiser Sand
Attached Images