The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

lookin good paintman. also worked all summer on my property.but did have a chance to enjoy some car shows and family time.lookin forward to more pics.chizzler
61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
paintman

Sooo as I was sayin.......It's pretty self explanatory as to what the paintman has been up to. Most of you guys have been here, done that, got the t'shirt.
But just to refresh your memory , cut, weld, grind, burn through, cut, weld, grind, burn through. etc. etc.

paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
paintman

On some of the smaller holes, instead of trying to make small plugs, I just shoved a sheet rock screw into the hole as a backer and burner her shut.

Once I got my holes filled in, I fit and stitched the recess box in. I originally had planned on cutting the opening for the box to fit flush into the firewall and then weld the flange all the way around. But upon further review i realized to do it that way would have meant cutting into the ribs that were stamped into the firewall at the factory for re-reinforcement. That just seemed like it would cause more trouble then it was worth so I mounted the flange to the back side of the firewall. I now have it stitched and ground down on the front side, and plan on stitching on the backside as well. Hope that made sense. Maybe the pics will help.

I was able fold over some the extra material on the recess box and create a flange to add more support for the floor boards.

So at the end of a few long days this what the firewall looks like. I still have alot of clean up to do yet but i'm gettin there. Did I do it right????????? I don't have a clue. But I know a painter that's good working with spackle
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote