The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
LowandSlow

Classic Auto Works, Rolla MO

C10 fans,
This is a long story about how I came to use Classic Auto Works as my C10 restorer. I've owned my C10 for about 2 years, I drove it from Joplin, MO to Waynesville MO and from there it began its transformation.
I brought the truck to Classic Auto Works after reviewing their website and being invited to tour there facility. It was breath taking. From there I decided to trust this company to restore my truck to proper working order for a agreed upon cap amount of $15,000. Let's just say $30,000 dollars later my truck is still in their hands and not by choice. I moved to NC do to being in the Corps and had to leave it behind. It was torn into pieces and negotiations had begun on what was to become of her. The owner(s) of Classic Auto Works did some mass firing of employees and figured they would continue to work on the truck free of charge except for parts. That was at $25,000 now... it's still in pieces; I'm in Afghanistan and no end in site if the truck will ever be finished. In short the work performed by the body crew there is an A+ but as far as the ownership and management it’s a big F-. I don't recommend them unless you have a lawyer by your side. I had to call it quits... I ran out of cash and have other responsibilities to worry about.
Hope this helps make a better decision on who to trust in Missouri.
LowandSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
LowandSlow

Re: Classic Auto Works, Rolla MO

Update: "CAW" Owner has caught wind of this forum and doesn't like the negative and part positive comment. I don't think he's read the thread himself just an employee. Hear say is always a bummer. Any who; maybe it wasn't the right thing to say when this company still has my C10 in their shop but... my fellow C10 lovers, you need to know these things when dropping a lot of cash on your classic rides. I would also like to add on to which I only touched very briefly in the original thread about the work continuing at “CAW.” The owner has tried to make amends by supplying a wood bed kit, free motor overhaul, free labor, and paint. This doesn’t include parts to be purchased so the bills just keep on coming $$$. The actions to correct their faults have been all great and very sincere and much appreciated but… I was told this would only cost me back a year ago $15,000. We have past that mile marker along time ago. End state I hope to have one day a 1964 C10 that I bought 2 years ago in my garage looking sharp. Problem with that is it’ll be too nice of a truck to want to drive every day like the original plan was and the memories / headaches that I can’t wait to forget. It’s been rough being in Afghanistan and not being able to contact love ones and handle my family headaches in person so… do understand CAW that stress is not welcomed when at war. I can give more detail of what has taken place at the CAW if you PM me. Semper Fi It’s a Marine thing.
LowandSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

SO are you changing things as this has gone on?

Or are they just jacking the price up as things go along?

You say they are throwing stuff in like free labor and bed wood and such, which is great but it still isnt done.

Did you have something in writing as far as the scope of the repairs you and they agreed to? and you said before it was capped at $15K, why is the cost going up if they and you agreed and ( I hope) signed a job scope saying what would be done and they cost?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
LowandSlow

Thanks for all the PM's with support and advice my fellow C10 lovers. Keep'em coming!