The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #51
joebuick

Re: Anyone else done with Oriley Auto parts?

AUTOZONE,,, for me 4 sure. WE do not have an oreillys just a NAPA and a carquest. The reason I like Autozone is their warrenties. Napa will tell you,,,HUH? when you try to take something back. Heck, Autozone will even warrenty their brake pads if you get the lifetime warrenty ones. Also electrical like starters or alternators. Try that at Napa or other parts stores.
joebuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #52
leddzepp

A lifetime warranty is needed for starters and alternators bought at Autozone. You will be taking them back for an exchange every three months for the rest of your life. That gets old real fast. They are nothing but junk.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #53
michael bustamante

I love my o riellies, They actually know what theyre talking about and dont rely soley on their computer. of course prices and name brands are a factor at times but its like that at any parts store if you think about it. for example Ill never get house electrical items from o riellies cuz I like napa electrical stuff better, but I will NEVER again get brake pads from autozone!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #54
joe231

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
A lifetime warranty is needed for starters and alternators bought at Autozone. You will be taking them back for an exchange every three months for the rest of your life. That gets old real fast. They are nothing but junk.
That hasn't been my experience. I have seen plenty of bad starters from Napa though....
Old 07-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #55
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
That hasn't been my experience. I have seen plenty of bad starters from Napa though....
x2.

Might as well get a lifetime warranty so when your headers cook it to death you can get another one for free.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #56
leddzepp

I wouldn't buy a starter or alternator at any chain parts store. I had both of mine rebuilt at a local shop on site. They converted my alt. to a 1-wire and wound it to 100 amps. Four years later, zero problems. If you have problems with headers cooking a starter, a mini starter solves the problem.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #57
michael bustamante

not tom ention that modding or rebuilding an alternator is wayyy less expensive with the same lifetime warranty
Old 07-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #58
77gmcjoe
What do we get for $10?

I know I'm digging up an old subject here, but I had to share an experience I had at Autozone today.
I went in to get an antenna for a '91 Suburban I just bought, and the guy behind the counter (whom I've known for many years, but had never seen him working in Autozone before) gets on his computer (Half or three quarter ton? Engine size? 2WD or 4WD? You guys know the drill) and tells me which one I need. I noticed that the plug that goes into the radio is tiny, much smaller than I was used to seeing, but he assured me it was the right one.
I mount the thing all up, string the wire through the firewall and under the dash, and guess what? The plug is wrong for the radio.
I go back to Autozone and tell him he gave me the wrong one, so he gets back on the computer. "Here's the problem", he says. "I gave you an antenna for a 350 instead of a 454."
1996 Corvette LT4 350/ZF 6 speed
2000 Bonneville SSEI Supercharged 3.8 Liter V6
1966 Chevelle 2 door sedan (Needs major repair )

Last edited by 77gmcjoe; 07-21-2010 at 10:46 PM.
77gmcjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #59
Indian113

Whenever I go to any chain parts store other than the the local Napa,I take the offending part with me so I can compare it to the "NEW ONE". saves me some time. I also keep a log of what I used to build my car so I can tell them what I need.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #60
77gmcjoe
What do we get for $10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
Whenever I go to any chain parts store other than the the local Napa,I take the offending part with me so I can compare it to the "NEW ONE". saves me some time. I also keep a log of what I used to build my car so I can tell them what I need.
I usually take stuff with me too Indian, or at least know exactly what I want when I go in there. This just caught me off guard because I didn't know there were more than one style of plugs on antennas like that. I want to say too that the guy who helped me is a good guy, and he was trying to do the right thing.

It's not like I'll stop going there or anything, I do appreciate their warranty on a lot of parts, and I've had pretty good luck with their things like starters and water pumps lasting a long time. I just get a little annoyed with their reliance on their computers and sometimes lack of common sense with things.
1996 Corvette LT4 350/ZF 6 speed
2000 Bonneville SSEI Supercharged 3.8 Liter V6
1966 Chevelle 2 door sedan (Needs major repair )

Last edited by 77gmcjoe; 07-22-2010 at 06:41 PM.
77gmcjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #61
Joemomma1

Every store is going to be different. I have had no probs over here w/ them. AZ really sucks it big time out here, bunch of slackers who play grab ass w/ each other. The parts have went down in quality across the board but the the prices have also went down. Sort of just got to deal with it.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #62
Reinovator

Hay I have been a Partsman for Autozone, pepboys, Napa. dodge and toyota
there are two major problems in the large chain's, remember this is not the rule just an observation, the major chains are mostly in it for the numbers, and some time they don't care if the part aren't perfect.
and most of them are run by bean counters not people who have turned a wrench.
The best advice as a former partsman I give you guy's is use the competition in your area to your advantage. Autozone and PepBoys had polices of price matching. Quality is always what your after.
in 35 years in the Automotive Industry I've seen parts house's come and go I've been reamed. and I've made some great deals.
O'Riley is going through Big changes, I am not defending them.
They will rise to be a good part's supplier or they will fall.

Name drop, if your having a problem with a part get your money back and go down the street. or as in my case show them a print out from a web site of their competitions same part and ask them what they think. some time you can get an up graded part and a discount the next time you come in.

I only have to deal with Parts Plus Or Napa. luckily they Know I was a partsman. and I live in a smaller community now. they live here too and want a pay check. One of the managers used to be one of partsman I used to deal with in SLC when I had my shop and managed a couple of others.

You need to train a partsman to your needs.
It works for the part's house and you.

Don't be afraid to drop a line to their main office if you have consistent problems. This is, some times, how you get the lazy brother in law transferred
out of your area.
good luck everyone. use the competition to your advantage not theirs.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #63
joebuick

Hey Guys,,, very interesting thread and opinions from one end to the other.. which is good.It seems that all of us have had some bad experience with parts from ALL of the different parts houses,,,,and some good ones. I know I have. But the most important thing to remember is "How you are treated when the part fails prematurely and you try to return for replacement." I can remember when trying to return a high dollar alternator or a starter to Carquest or Napa and they just give you a sad look and point to the sign over the counter that says " ABSOLUTLY NO RETURNS ON ELECTRICAL PARTS" Mad,,?? angry,,??? you bet!!! I switched to Autozone when they came to town for that reason. I also have had some failures with the Autozone brand,,,,but I always buy the lifetime warrenty parts and I do not have any panic attacks when I do have to return anything. That to me means a lot.
I am like one of the guys here that checks out the website before hand and I know what I need, the autozone part number, how much it costs, and even a brief printout of how to replace the part when I walk in the front door. ( just in case I get one of those people that know their way around a computor, but don't know sh** about cars) I like the one about the air freshener,,,,. I also love to go to one of THEIR computors while they are busy and do my search and have it all ready for them when they get to me,,,sic. The look on their face makes my day.
Would the guy who said he used a feature on one of the parts store's website to cross reference what other vehicles used same part please let me know who and where,,,?? thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #64
dropd80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuick View Post
Would the guy who said he used a feature on one of the parts store's website to cross reference what other vehicles used same part please let me know who and where,,,?? thanks
I don’t know if it's the same one the other guy was talking about, but ac delco's parts catalog on their website has a vehicle list on most every part on their site to cross-reference to other vehicles. I think they have a cross-reference page you can enter part numbers and it will give you a list of everything it fits also.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #65
joebuick

I went back and looked at the first part of this thread and it was 68TT that had the post about some of the parts houses having a feature on their web site that had the cross reference of parts. How about it, 68TT,,,??

Does anybody know how to access the GM dealer's parts books??? I would really,,really like to look ,,,,
Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #66
Reinovator

Hay again most dealer parts don't cross reference to aftermarket unless there was a program added. They are very proprietary. now from year to year the will usually list the applications they fit by part number, Ford will in some parts, although they many not cross between brands ie chevy to pontiac.
there is an on line GM alternative parts catalog.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog...TOKEN=81083575
I have not researched this very well give it a try.
May be it's what you need.
NAPA had one of the best cross reference catalogs.
But the way vendors are changing hands about every 9 months it's hard to keep up.
I think TRW has changed hands 5 time in the last 15 years, including mergers and departments being sold and added.
One of the best actions is find a partsman willing to get in to that section of their catalogs and programs.
another thing I have done on line is register with a large chain, autozone online, look up one year of car truck, like a 1977gmc C15 then change vehicles to a 87 chevy C10.
in some cases it will show it will not fit like a alternator. it will if you squeeze down a bracket, or change a bracket but that's another story. I could go on and on but I think you get the idea.
Most stores cross reference for two reasons Grade checking, comparing quality by vendor. and price checking, some times at AZ you were told to check a price and avalibility ,to check against a price checking customer. and just in case the delivery was late to the store for a shop customer.

Last edited by Reinovator; 08-10-2010 at 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Reinovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #67
Reinovator

Here's Rebestos' brakes interchange page
http://www.raybestos.com/wps/portal/...bestos+history

Gates belts and hoses interchange page
http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comerge...TOKEN=65928954

Last edited by Reinovator; 08-11-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Reinovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #68
Reinovator

here is Wix filters part# look up and interchange page
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp
Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 PM   #69
mbgmike

If you need any help we sell everything all the Big Automotive chains sell and usually for less. We can X-ref just about anything. just ask. We can actually do more than the big chains as we have OEM access
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #70
spudz

I look up and find what I need online mostly, if I go aftermarket I usually use orileys simply because I dont like the people who currently run the local advance and auto zone. its all the same parts.. Car quest parts are usually a better quality but there isnt one local and a lil more expensive, the napa is maybe a little better then car quest. BUT for all electrical, plugs, wires, sensors etc, whatever. IF its something I care about I get OEM. If its something I am trying to sell I use the cheap stuff.
2004 z71, 96 z71 on 38s, 88 Chevy k5 blazer, 4in lift. 84 swb project, 82 SWB project , 84 chevy 4x4 lwb project, 88 Jimmy beater/highschool ride. 79 c30. 99 tahoe 4x4 project. and a bunch of parts trucks..
spudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #71
joebuick

Dang,,, reinovator,,,, you are just plumb full of good info ain't you? many thanks, Guy.
Now,, If I could just one more thing,,,,,,, what are the chances of getting access to GM's shop manuals. I just purchased a low milage 06 HHR and had to work on a little problem with the shifter lockout. Wasn't no biggie, but took three times longer cause it took me forever to figure out where the "pinch points" were to release the different pieces of plastic to get to the danged shifter assy. Most of all cars built now a days are put together by snapping them together. When I went to the local Chevy dealer to ask if I could look at their shop manual,, the sob had the nerve to ask me if I had bought the car from him. I told him I "HAD" planned to let him work on the car but at that point in time,,,,he had just changed my mind,,!! Then I left as gracefully as I could.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #72
Reinovator

Shop manuals are a very interesting thing some can be down loaded via online connections I have not found a reliable source for that yet that's under $100
but in most cases if you look at the back of your owners manual it will have a address for the shop manual or get to know you local GM partsman and he my have a connection for a "discarded" printed manual or CD that needs polishing, etc.
good luck and keep me up dated I need a couple too. my nearest GM dealer is 100 miles away.
Mitchell used to have a great set of cd's that were very good and had on line up dates for a $100 dollars a year, I think it was? After the $ 500 dollar up front expense, if I still had a retail shop I would invest.
I'm sure that some one here can enlighten us on that subject.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #73
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

I go to one "mom and pop" kind of auto parts store in town (actually it is a really small chain in northern California) and deal with one guy there. He is the one guy at any of the parts stores with more auto experience than me (not THAT hard to do, I've only been doing it for 15 years or so), and is a good personal friend and fellow gearhead. If they don't have it, or can't get it and I really need it I will go to the O'reily's (formerly Kragen). I worked there for a couple years about 8 years ago, the store manager is still the same, knows I know my way around that store and computer system better than anyone working there currently, so he lets me behind the counter to look up my own parts. Basically I am a self serve customer when I go in (except for the cash part), no waiting in line for the "parts guys" ever. Kinda fun having other customers try to ask me for stuff though . I never have to worry about getting the wrong part either.

I will not under any circumstance set foot inside my local NAPA store, I have a very personal issue with one of the managers there. Also in the past before that guy was hired as a manager I found that parts for my cars (mostly standard Chevy stuff) were never in stock, so I started calling then No Auto Parts Available.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #74
Justins76
OutOfMyMind & I'llNeverKnowWhy

Well I found a good Checkers(O'realy now) by me. Too bad the city put in a photocop right in front lol. I always buy online except if i need something with a lifetime warranty or right away, and even then I come armed with the part number and the part i'm replacing. Once the autozone here wouldn't take my part number and insisted to look it up in their computer, and after 15 min, came up with the same # i originally asked for. Thanks for wasting my time dude.

I find that online is way cheaper then any instore price, and that's for quality parts like moog and raybestos that the stores dont carry and have to order anyways because they are pushing their store brands. Plus I dont have to pay nearly 10% sales tax.
1992 Pontiac Firebird T-Top 5.0L TBI 700R4
My cardomain page

I don't like to save, it's more fun to spend!!
Justins76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #75
junkyardjohn

THERE ARE 8 AUTO PARTS STORES IN THIS LITTLE TOWN. I'VE HAD TO GO TO ALL OF THEM IN ONE DAY LOOKING FOR 1/2-20 LUGNUTS. TWO OF THEM ARE NAPAS, & I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING GOOD I'VE EVER SAID ABOUT THEM TOO. LATELY I HAD A SET OF ROTORS FOR MY 84 BLAZER TURNED AT O-RIELYS.(THE ONLY ONE OF THE 8 THAT HAS A BRAKE LATHE) I GOT THEM BACK HOME & PUT THEM ON THE SPINDLES WITHOUT GREASE IN THE BEARINGS, JUST TO CHECK THE RUNOUT. THEY RAN OUT 18 & 24 THOUSANDS & ONE WAS .030. & THE OTHER WAS .015 UNDER THE LOW LIMIT OF WITH WAS CAST INTO THEM. THEY HAD TAKEN .065 OFF ONE &.075 OFF THE OTHER. BACK TO TOWN. (A 30 MILE ROUND TRIP) I TOOK MY DIAL INDICATOR WITH ME. THIS STORE DIDN'T HAVE A DIAL INDICATOR OR A SIMPLE DIAL CALIPER TO CHECK THE THICKNESS, YET THE MANAGER (I THINK THEY'RE ALL MANAGERS OR MANAGERS IN TRAINING) CLAIMED THEY TURNED OVER 200 PAIRS A MONTH. AFTER WASTING TWO DAYS OF MY TIME THEY FINALLY REFUNDED MY $24 TO HAVE THEM TURNED (READ THAT RUINED) & GAVE ME A SET OF CHINEEZ ROTORS. I WAS STILL OUT THE $50 I PAID A MACHINE SHOP TO MILL THE BOSSES ON THE BACKSIDE TO GO TO 1/2" STUDS INSTEAD OF THE WIMPY 7/16" STUDS THAT CAME FACTORY. NEVER AGAIN I'LL ONLY GO IN ANY OF THEM IF I NEED SOMETHING LIKE A QUART OF OIL & WALLY WORLD DOESN'T HAVE IT. I'VE BEEN REDUCED TO EITHER CALLING THE NAPA STORE IN CARSON CITY NEVADA & HAVING THEM UPS ANY PARTS I NEED 2430 MILES TO ME OR SHOPPING ONLINE. THERE SEEMS TO BE NO SHORTAGE OF NO-NOTHING PIMPLE FACED IDIOTS THAT CAN'T FIND MY APPLICATION IN THE COMPUTER,(SO THEREFORE I MUST NOT KNOW WHAT I OWN) AROUND HERE. EVEN ANY PARTS THAT I HAD THE NAPA HERE ORDER HAD MADE IN CHINA ON THEM. IT SEEMS NOTHING IS MANUFACTURED IN THIS COUNTRY ANYMORE. THE STORES JUST PUT THEM IN THEY'RE OWN BOX. WHODA THUNK IT?? JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote