The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
JointTech

Question An open letter to parts Vendors

So I'm about to make another $500 order to LMC. I would prefer to use a board sponsor but here are the reasons I don't.
1. Your websites are terrible. This is 2013. get with it. nobody wants to call and talk to Gramps about the good old days.
2. Your parts cost as much or more than every other crappy website vendor.
3. You charge shipping. Amazon Prime gets me free shipping. Or I just go to walmart(LMC) where I can at least get it all in one place instead of 8 shipping charges.
4. you dont stock enough stuff. (example, want to purchase all new lights. Lots of you have this LED and that lense. Only LMC has all the LEDs, All the lenses, the headlight relay kits and the bulbs.)

All that said I'm not really sure what you can do about it. Its kind of like telling the local mom and pop why you go to Walmart now. Yea some stuff is crappier but they have everything in one place and its clean and air conditioned...

hope i didnt offend anyone.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-15-2013 at 11:41 AM.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
BigRed76

Re: An open letter to parts Vendors

I also find that LMC's catalog style is very customer friendly, and informative. I'm sure that is responsible for a big portion of their sales...

1970 Chevrolet Custom Camper K20
1971 GMC Super K2500, 12V/NV4500 swap in progress
1971 Chevrolet Custom C10
1972 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C20, 5.3/4L60E
1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 455/TH400, 3.73 posi
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD, LB7/Allison, CCSB
2005 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.3/4L60E, CCSB

BigRed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
JointTech

yep its really nice. I dont expect every vendor to have that. But come on. There are 100 FREE open source shopping cart software suites that would be 1000x better than the 1995 style sites/carts they all seem to use.
I guess since its mainly old timers fixing on these trucks and running these companies they havent found a need to get with the times.

I mean a simple search function that actually works would be a good start on most of these sites.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I don't know but I'm a little old fashioned but I prefer to talk to a person with the same interests I have (they will answer a tech question). I kinda like customer service, I guess thats why I still buy paint at a paint store, Hardware at a hardware store.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
JointTech

unfortunatly the world is changing and if these guys want to stay in business they should probably start catering to GenX and GenY. We dont call and talk to people. Good or bad it is what it is.
Like I said I'm not trying to bad mouth or berate, just some friendly ideas from someone who would PREFER to shop with a board vendor.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

LMC has a lot of stuff ..... but if it doesn't fit or you have questions you are out of luck, they have ZERO tech support. Thats when you will need to talk to 'Gramps'. Fortunatly he is a member here
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
weever82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I don't know but I'm a little old fashioned but I prefer to talk to a person with the same interests I have (they will answer a tech question). I kinda like customer service, I guess thats why I still buy paint at a paint store, Hardware at a hardware store.
+1000

I completely agree! I must be old school as well.

Weev-
Posted via Mobile Device

Life's tough...... It's even tougher when your stupid - John Wayne
weever82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
So.Cal.Super
It'll Buff Out!

First off I want to say JointTech, I'm not trying to offend you.

I have order parts from LMC when I first got my truck, the catalog is easy to use and read. what frustrated me was the quality of the parts, especially gaskets not fitting well. and Customer service reading from a script when you have a problem frustrates me. I am from gen X (born in 79) and I use the internet to order a lot of things, I do thousands of dollars a month with amazon for the free 2 day shipping or 1.99 next day. when it comes to my truck I prefer the old method. Wes At Classic Heartbeat has been an unending supply of information. weather its a #8 screw with a #10 head or the correct gas tank grommet because he took a NOS and sent it off to get copied in the USA.

He even called me at home on a Sunday while he was pulling parts for my order to explain the box said made in Mexico instead of the USA like he thought and asked if I still wanted it. That to me is customer service. And when I ask him why he doesn't carry something, he is straight forward with telling me I can't get any better quality then LMC so he won't waste his time.

Yes I will agree the websites are dated. and they don't do the volume for free shipping, but when these mom and pops shops are gone. so is there knowledge. I've worked for a big box retailer, and when you have a kid who doesn't know the difference between a Torque wrench and a pipe wrench telling someone how to install a ceiling fan it scares me.

Hope I didn't offend you or anyone, just wanted to share my experience and .02

I'll take calling Gramps over cussing at crappy parts any day.

Become a Supporting Member
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

Man Card Rules
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634550

72 Chevy Cheyenne Super 400 LWB
So.Cal.Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
6772KEVIN

I went to LMC about 15 years ago or so as I was new in the hobby and they were somewhat close. I walk in and ask the kid at the counter if they had a particular part. His exact words were as he tosses a catalog on the counter..." I don’t know, look in here" I walked out and have never, nor will I ever do business with them. If they don’t know what they are selling, then they don’t care about the customer. I am not bashing you; I am just letting you know my experience with them. From there I went to at the time Chevy Duty, Jim Carters, and Manes truck parts. I found Manes to be the most knowledgeable, helpful, and best prices. To me service, knowledge of our hobby and knowing what is crap and what is quality is key to me. I agree that LMC has a great catalog and its very helpful.
6772KEVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: An open letter to parts Vendors

I agree most of the vendor's are behind times on the websites as far as how they work. Most of them will be a little higher price as well but in the long run it will pay off.
1. The LMC website and catalog are great no doubt about it. Hands down the best for pictures of the part. This cost money and lots of it to begin with.
2. The vendor's on here most are small places that don't have that kind of money are resources. They do have owner's who will talk with you about your truck and what works and doesn't. They will also be there if there is a problem with the part.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
dfwright

nobody wants to call and talk to Gramps about the good old days.

You might not, others of us do. Especially when there's any hiccup with the parts, or you need some technically challenging questions answered before or after ordering the parts. I appreciate gramps experience and insight, and recommendations, things you don't get with the big box store.

Having personal service, a proprietor who takes pride in doing a good job, who will listen and offer advice and guidance, and will work with you to do what is right is worth dealing with all the other minor quibbles mentioned.

I don't mind paying extra for good service.

I understand that a real "car guy" may not be an excellent web designer or graphics artist, or be able to afford to hire one.

I appreciate that they may not be able to give away shipping because they don't do multi-millions in sales each day, and have special arrangements with shipping companies.

I still prefer to do business with them because they have things that are important to me that a big box can't provide.

To each his own, as they say.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
JointTech

no offense taken.
I like getting the right parts and getting quality as well. I guess I'm just frustrated that I cant have everything. Walmart prices, mom and pop service, and Free shipping LOL.

as to the websites, like i said nobody is going to beat LMCs catalog without a huge investment and upkeep.

But oscommerce, zencart, magneto; ad nauseum are free and just as easy if not easier to keep updated than the crap carts/shopping carts they use now.

I know for a fact there are at least 3 active members that do web design. I used to but focus more on infrustructure now. That said a post asking for help in exchange for a discount could probably get all of them working carts and a design refresh on the sites.

I have heard lots of stories about LMC stuff being crappy but havent come across it myself. Maybe when that happens my tune will change.

Coming from a computer background I NEVER call for support unless I cant figure it out some other way. Tech support is always a kid getting min wage that doesnt give a **** so why bother calling? I suppose thats why that part of ordering from a mom and pop is not a big feature for me. I can see how it would be useful for some though.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Tomahawk30

While I agree that some of the vendor sites are pretty spartan to say the least, I still think its worth putting in the extra time to navigate more than one site. I do use LMC's site and catalogs to put together my list of parts because it is laid out so well visually. Some of the smaller pieces and hardware would be really tough to order without a visual confirmation that it is what I think it is. I then spend an extra couple of hours at night pricing everything out from two or three different vendors and put everything into a spreadsheet for comparison. Its extra work, but I usually find that some things are cheaper from vendor A, and others from vendor B. Sometimes the extra shipping makes ordering from one site cheaper even if some of the parts cost more, and other times (usually on big orders) its worth placing two separate orders. I will say that GMCPaul's service and shipping is terrific even though the site is pretty basic. They are easy to reach and quick to answer questions, and a lot of times that is worth a few extra bucks and some extra time navigating their site... And I like that I get an actual message from a person and not just an automated update on orders.

I have no particular allegiance to any one vendor, as I've never really had issues with any vendor (other than one guy that sold me some junky door handles on ebay once). But if I feel I've received good service and communication is prompt, I'll be back again.

1972 C10 Custom Deluxe Highlander - sold
1971 Cheyenne Super Longhorn -sold
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 4x4 -sold, bought back, sold again... I'm dumb.
1970 Chevy C10 SWB "Sprout" -sold
1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1969 GMC Shortbox Stepside 4x4 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Tomahawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Start going to your local junk yard. You're in California. There should be an abundance. The parts are often times less expensive than just shipping charges on a small part, and they are original vintage parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
1972BackInBlackC10

also keep in mind alot of these guys are one or two person shows, ordering stock, taking orders, shipping, recieving, stocking and organizing parts, taking calls or making calls, answering or sending emails, sourcing good quality new arts etc etc is time consuming for one or two people whick may not leave enough or any time to update their site
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE= I would prefer to use a board sponsor but here are the reasons I don't.
1. Your websites are terrible. This is 2013. get with it. nobody wants to call and talk to Gramps about the good old days.

hope i didnt offend anyone.[/QUOTE]

No offense taken...
But you might just learn a few things from 'Gramps".....
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
Lemield

I have had great luck with LMC. They do not have tech support but they have either refunded my money or replaced defective parts without a problem. I do like the fact that you can place one big order with LMC (because they carry a LOT of stuff) and their website is EASY to use.

I have also used board vendors and had good luck with them.

Good luck with your project.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #18
67gmcclassic

I personally am not impressed with LMC one bit. I called to order parts for my 67 gmc, and the lady on the other end of the phone said sorry, we dont sell parts for the 67-72 year body style???????? i had to give her the catalog # just so she could find the parts i was trying to order. If you have a tech question, forget about asking them, if its not in the catalog they have no idea what your talking about. just my .02
67gmcclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
Gene

I have used LMC a bunch but I prefer Classic Truck Parts http://www.classicparts.com/

Thier website is pretty good and on alot of stuff they beat LMC's prices. Never had an issue with anything I have purchased there.

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If you think LMC's catalog is so great try putting your horn parts in the steering wheel the way they show in their catalog. I bet you a $100 it won't honk, or it will honk all the time... That isn't the only error either.

They "have" to replace your part or refund your money because they don't have a clue whether they sent you the correct part for your truck or not. What a joke...

Just my 2¢ worth!

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
Lee H

I also used LMC when I first got into old trucks. It only took a few deliveries to find out most parts, IMHO, are way, way down on the quality scale. Even more evident once I started to get Gramps' parts. I'll go out of my way and spend the extra $$ for a quality parts and the expertise that's just a phone call away. I do use LMC, but only for a part nobody else has, and that's not very often.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #22
sduckworth13

I think this thread would have been very helpful for our board vendors here on the forum to let them know what they could improve on, but since the term " gramps" was used in a negative way, it has detracted all attention from what the thread was actually started for. The "gramps" on this forum is why this forum is the most visited Chevy/ GMC Truck website on the planet. I appreciate the "gramps" on this forum and want to thank them all for the input and advice I have recieved, especially now since some folks don't seem to appreciate you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
1971_402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I have used LMC a bunch but I prefer Classic Truck Parts http://www.classicparts.com/

Thier website is pretty good and on alot of stuff they beat LMC's prices. Never had an issue with anything I have purchased there.
Same here..
1972 Chevy C10 LWB-SWB/Bagged(ALMOST)
1972 Chevy C10 Shortened/SBC(DONE)
1981 Chevy C10 SWB 383/TH350(SOLD)
1971_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #24
JointTech

ok ok. Ill take a step back and think more about it.
This IS a hobby. I should be more inclined to talk with other people (gramps) about parts. But I'm a hermit
Junk yards dont do it for me. I hate snakes, dirty **** and long lines. Oh and the heat. God those dirt lots are hot and dusty. Also my time is worth more than the savings in most cases. Every once in a while I go with a buddy to help him find something and check out whats there.

Anyway, good points all. Maybe ill give the other guys another chance next time. Hopefully they will come around on the websites.

As to the cost/time of keeping a website up to date. yea thats part of doing business. at least thats the way I see it. These arent hobbyists like for example the guy who sells brake booster mounts or the guy that redoes sun visors, they are businesses.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #25
69GWC

Guess I have been lucky have not had any issue with LMC and was just in there today and I am going to stop back in tomorrow. Have not ordered over the phone since I live so close so I cant say anything about that end.

I would say it would be pretty hard for the guys behind the counter to know everything about the stuff they sell since they sell for Chevy/GMC/Ford/Dodge and a huge span of years.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote