The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
Teninchbluff

Thumbs down Very disappointed with CPP

Hi members,

Just want to share my opinion and recent experience with CPP. I recently decided to begin a frame off restoration of my 67 C10. I live in Alberta Canada and my options for suppliers are not great, my options led me to a supplier three hours from home. With a good deal of research I decided to go with CPP as my somewhat local supplier was a distributor for the company.

I purchased pretty much every component possible for the suspension, fuel cell, steering and brake conversion...all CPP, spent roughly 7K on the first round of parts. Install was pretty straight forward for all components until I came to the brakes.

A bit of background; I work at a full service mechanical shop that has been in business for 20+ years. We work on everything from weed trimmers to heavy duty equipment. I manage the shop and one of my responsibilities is ordering parts...I know this very well. My mechanic that is working on my project with me is a 30 year veteran in the industry and is an automotive certified technician..he also owns the shop.

Back to the brake issue. First road block was that my supplier sent 6 bolt pattern front rotors and 5 bolt rears. I converted from a six to a five when ordering the standard disc brake conversion kit. This issue was remedied by me purchasing the appropriate five bolt rotors from NAPA and getting a refund from my supplier that made the error. This was not a huge issue and the install continued. Front rotors, calipers and lines went on easily. Installed the rear rotors..now the issues, calipers would not mount to the brackets properly, with or without the provided spacers. The calipers had to be forced into place and did not center well with the rotor. While installed I had to turn the rotor with a pry bar to get it to move!!

I consulted CPP directly, tech line had my technician go through all possible trouble shooting including removal of one of the axles to measure it to ensure they were proper. All efforts were unsuccessful, the clearance couldn't even be obtained by removing the anti rattle plate and retaining spring. Now with that being said, the removal of the spring and Anti rattle plate helped a little ( you could now turn the rotor with two hands and a good grunt!) this is far to much drag!

Here is where I lost all confidence in CPP and the product. Randy at CPP said that "the pads would wear in" and to " leave the spring and anti rattle plate out" I nor my tech found this to be an acceptable solution considering I just purchased an overpriced "Kit" I don't feel that one should have to dismantle the components and "wear in" my brake pads for the product to work properly.

CPP washed their hands of the situation and told me to deal with my supplier as I purchased the product from the supplier and not them. I expressed that I had approached my supplier and was not able to get any where with them. I understand that since I had bought the product from a supplier that CPP is perhaps not responsible and limited with options of helping the situation. I do feel however, this is still their product and they could have backed their product better! Randy claims this is a one off situation? Research since on this board shows that to not be true.

Our shop is also a Yamaha dealer, I order parts all day long...when a customer approaches me with an issue with a Yamaha part even if it's not purchased from me, I deal with it and make it right for them one way or another.

Long story short...the brake kit is garbage, stay away, far better out there...I will likely scrap their kit which I paid over $1600 for and cut my losses and find an alternative and better company.

As Randy from CPP says " one out of thousands sold has issue, what can we do about it?" I guess the answer is nothing?

Thumbs down...won't buy another bolt from them

Last edited by ETsC10; 11-07-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Teninchbluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
EARNHARDT#3

Re: Very disappointed with CPP

Sounds typical of places today. Sorry for your troubles.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:39 PM   #3
trac209

I've had issues with cpp as well as per fitment and customer service. I as well am in Canada and sources are limited. I went to stock parts and figured heck with it.
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
chanclas90063

I understand that there are two sides to every story, but to leave a customer hanging after spending the monies you spent is just unacceptable😞.
Long Bed/Rally Wheels
chanclas90063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Hopefully this will get moved to the vendor review area, with all the other BAD reviews from CPP.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
tonkatrux2

I am headed to sema next week and plan on airing out my issue with them. How do these people stay in business selling junk and then passing buck along.
tonkatrux2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Very disappointed with CPP

I feel for you man! y read brakes are not nearly what they said they where. They have helped me some but I feel it was just because they didn't have to replace anything. I'll not buy from them ever again that is for sure!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
Rod Run

Wow... I've spent a ton of money with them, over multiple times, and never had one problem. Granted all my parts were suspension stuff, but still...............
Old 11-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #9
redbaron

A lot of CPP parts are made in China.
1969 Camaro Protouring LS7 T-56 Project
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #10
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
A lot of CPP parts are made in China.
You know they have a full R&D department and production machine shop in house, right? I really don't think you're statement is accurate, but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about those things
Old 11-03-2015, 01:02 AM   #11
redbaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Run View Post
You know they have a full R&D department and production machine shop in house, right? I really don't think you're statement is accurate, but that's just my opinion and you know what they say about those things
I have been to SEMA and meet with their representatives in person where I asked where their parts are manufactured and have been told by them that the parts I asked about were made off-shore. I do know about their R&D and production shop, but also know, not all the parts are made in the great USA.
1969 Camaro Protouring LS7 T-56 Project
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I had a custom decide to use the CPP front disc brake conversion kit on a 68 Camaro once instead of spending the $$ on the Hotchkis stuff I wanted him to use. Well, first issue was that their lower a-arms lacked the proper indentation to allow the backing plate to sit flush-result? Under full load the damn backing plate protruded out enough tonscrape against the backside of the disc brake rotor and caused a horrendous noise when I first attempted to move the car under its own power. There were other issues but the customer wanted to save $$ by not going with my recommendation so I told him to either leave the backing plate off and HOPE he never has a-arm to rotor interference or, to scrap it all and let me install what I wanted to in the first place. He chose the first option. I would never suggest CPP stuff.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
leddzepp

Almost everything is made in China now
Price is the biggest determining factor in peoples' decision to purchase anything (car parts, groceries, clothes, whatever), and that will never change. For every person on this message board that says they won't buy "made in China" there are thousands that will in reality.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote