The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
Novaguy73

Spray in bed liner??

Is this a good or bad idea on the older trucks? Mines a 72 long fleet with a steel bed. If its not a show stopper and more a daily driver is this a good idea? Does it hurt value or anything? I wouldnt think so but i guess im just curious?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

Re: Spray in bed liner??

ive been curious of this too .... i'd like to cover up the inside of my bed with a nice bed liner .. but i've heard alot of them are hard to clean .... an its kinda permanent once its done ... im gonna get a tonneau cover instead ... unless someone can talk me out of it

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
hilljob26

i have that spray-in bed liner in my bed,under my bed,in my cab,under my cab,and under my inner fenders,i like it more for the fact that it resists corrosion,that means NO RUST.not only that,but nothing slides around in my bedmand it actually acts as a sound dedner,just my .02

HILLJOB GRAPHIX--for all your graphic needs
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542497
LS ENGINE SWAP INFORMATION THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=377348
4l60 to an NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post3697343
hilljob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:59 PM   #4
matthufham

have you seen the tv commercial or i don't remember where it was but they dropped a cinderblock from over 50 feet and it broke, then they sprayed the ground with a couple layers of lineX or some brand, dropped the cinderblock, and it bounced back a few feet unbroken.

Plus they keep the bed from rusting, and keep it from denting and getting scratched if you don’t like scratches. It’s impossible to remove without a sandblaster or a strong chemical cleaner and some elbow grease but if it protects the bed, then it’s a value.

personally i'm spraying bedliner on the bed floor and tailgate, and painting the walls and wheel tubs red to match the outside.

Last edited by matthufham; 01-16-2006 at 10:00 PM.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:18 PM   #5
jamesi20

I put Line-x in my new truck and love it...it cleans up real easy
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
Chrome8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljob26
i have that spray-in bed liner in my bed,under my bed,in my cab,under my cab,and under my inner fenders,i like it more for the fact that it resists corrosion,that means NO RUST.not only that,but nothing slides around in my bedmand it actually acts as a sound dedner,just my .02

I was thinkin of doing this on my next project. A friend of my owns an Armorthane franchise and sprays the stuff. It's pure polly as far as i remember him saying. I know it's the same product as Rhino linings. What brand did you use? He thinks it will be a better sound deadener inside the cab but we both are worried about the exhaust under the truck melting the stuff. Have you had any problems? Did the interior go back together ok after coating? how thick was it applied everywhere but the bed?

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Confucius
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
cdowns

i wouldn'y pay near as much for a truck with spray on bedliner for fear of hidden sins and the amount of work to get rid of it once it gets ugly
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
hilljob26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome8
I was thinkin of doing this on my next project. A friend of my owns an Armorthane franchise and sprays the stuff. It's pure polly as far as i remember him saying. I know it's the same product as Rhino linings. What brand did you use? He thinks it will be a better sound deadener inside the cab but we both are worried about the exhaust under the truck melting the stuff. Have you had any problems? Did the interior go back together ok after coating? how thick was it applied everywhere but the bed?
i used an eagle liner,which is the same stuff,just a different name,but it is 1/8 thick all around the truck and 1/4 in the bed,it works as a great sound dedner,and my exhaust is about 6 inches away from it,and doesn't bother it at all,my exhaust is completely hidden under the truck,so if you look at yours,thats how close it is,i hope this helps.....mike

HILLJOB GRAPHIX--for all your graphic needs
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542497
LS ENGINE SWAP INFORMATION THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=377348
4l60 to an NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post3697343
hilljob26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
Chrome8

thats good to know, i was a little worried. The bedliner will really protect against rust which is why i like the idea. I want a truck that is better than new that i can drive every day without worrying about beating it up ect. thanks

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Confucius
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
cdowns

spray bedliner will retard rusting //BUT if you don't spray bthe underside of the box it will continue to rust from the bottom up
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
sr67chevyfleet

I like the spray in bed linner it looks clean and is very easy to keep clean make sure that if you do get it to patch up all holes and take care of any rust that you may get or even have. get it done right dont do it your self my friend did his truck with the do it your self kind and it looks like crap.
theres my 2 cents
steve
sr67chevyfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
thejoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthufham
have you seen the tv commercial or i don't remember where it was but they dropped a cinderblock from over 50 feet and it broke, then they sprayed the ground with a couple layers of lineX or some brand, dropped the cinderblock, and it bounced back a few feet unbroken.

Plus they keep the bed from rusting, and keep it from denting and getting scratched if you don’t like scratches. It’s impossible to remove without a sandblaster or a strong chemical cleaner and some elbow grease but if it protects the bed, then it’s a value.

personally i'm spraying bedliner on the bed floor and tailgate, and painting the walls and wheel tubs red to match the outside.
I saw that same thing but what it was is, they used a Line-X additive to the cement that made the block and it kept the block from breaking.

I go along with the idea that it could shorten the life of metal if it's not completely rust free. I don't think it's a rust inhibitor. I could be wrong.

JKR

68' C10 Short Step (rebuilding as we speak)
72' Custom Camper (wrecked, parting out)
79' C10 Fleet (rough, parting out)
97' C1500 Short Step Custom (DD)
97' Kawaski VN800a Customized
99' Z71 Silverado
04' Suzuki Volusia
thejoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
MrC1
Dork For Days

Question Re: Spray in bed liner??

Me thinkin bout gettin one sprayed in too.

Anyone know about longevity? What I mean is, does the sun fade it like just about everything else in this world? How long till it looks crappy or gets brittle?
2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
see ten
WTB this ad

I have had one in the C/10 for close to 2 years now. I haven't really had any problems with how it looks but I don't think it is as durable as they say it is. I put a couple big scratches in mine dragging a cabinet out of the back of it. They are supposed to have a lifetime guarantee on it but I really don't see how they could touch it up. The scratches aren't that noticeable so I will just live with them for now. It is a great alternative for a truck that you will be using. The paint inside my bed was as slick as the rest of the truck. I would rather have the spray in liner that may or may not fade then a bed that is scratched and rusty from hauling stuff.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:22 PM   #15
72longbed
Account Suspended

As far as the cinder block goes, you are both incorrect. Look very closely, the block is coated with a light color bedliner material, inside and out, before the second drop. The idea for the commercial was borrowed (stolen) from a VORTEX Spray Liner commercial a couple of years ago where they hit a cinder block with a sledge and smashed it, and then coated another block with VORTEX material and beat on the block and could not break it.
Most spray-on bedliners today are the soft polyurethane based type. You can chip off a piece with your fingernail on a hot day. VORTEX has patented a mixture that is tougher than the soft liners and is gauranteed to not crack, chip, peel or rust for as long as you own your truck. Of all of the choices out there, Vortex was picked as "The Official Bed Liner Company of: The Speedchannel, Two Guys Garage and Truck Universe" for a reason, its more durable than all the rest. As long as VORTEX holds the patent on their secret recipe, none of the others can duplicate it. 'Trucks' magazine called VORTEX "#1 Bedliner in America" compared to the rest.
All bedliner material will eventually fade from UV exposure, thats the least of your worries from the sun. The VORTEX company has chemically engineered their product to not 'degrade' structurally from UV exposure. Most of the strictly poly-based formula's out there will start to degrade and come apart in a couple of years from the sun, not VORTEX. The VORTEX company has also engineered a top coating called 'Restorz' that can be applied at any time to bring back that 'just sprayed' look and last another 3-4 years looking that way.
Since there's nothing uglier than a peeling, chipped off, flapping in the wind bedliner, I'd look for a genuine VORTEX Spray liner dealer in your area and get the best for your money.

(P.S. I'm not only the proud owner of a VORTEX Spray liner in my 1972 K20, but I'm also a certified, factory trained VORTEX dealer and installer for almost two years. I did my homework and compared all of them before buying a system, and VORTEX truly is the toughest material you can apply today

72longbed
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
MrC1
Dork For Days

Talking Re: Spray in bed liner??

Thanks 72LB!

What's the texture of Vortex look like? Got any close-up pics? I've heard they're all a little different. Also, how hard is it? Oh yeah, and how thick is it typically applied?

Oh, lastly, how slick is it on the surface? Is it slippery or does it grip things like a softer rubber surface would? (each type has merit)
2008 Cadillac CTS
All-American garage, baby!

Last edited by MrC1; 01-17-2006 at 06:33 PM.
MrC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #17
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC1
Me thinkin bout gettin one sprayed in too.

Anyone know about longevity? What I mean is, does the sun fade it like just about everything else in this world? How long till it looks crappy or gets brittle?
Fear of fading is exactly why I went with Super Liner. I spoke with and visited all the majors (Line-X, Rhino, Ultimate Liners, etc.) and they all said the same thing, they fade. Line-X has two different additives, one that's an additional $150 that's guaranteed for 5 years not to fade and another one that has to be put on periodically. Line-X was $450 + the $150 extra. The Line-X material is hard as a rock and thicker than most. Super Liner was the only company that said their's wouldn't fade. Super Liner was $300 and is not as hard as the Line-X so stuff shouldn't slide around as much. As luck would have it a friend of mine was a Super Liner dealer a few years ago and he said they don't fade and that he never had a warranty claim. Is all this true, who knows, I guess time will tell....

I can say for a fact that Rhino is crap in Texas, everyone I've seen that's been out in the sun for any period of time chalks and looks like $hit. The Super Liner location that applied mine in Pflugerville is their corporate headquarters and training facility.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #18
72longbed
Account Suspended

Thumbs up Re: Spray in bed liner??

MrC1,
the texture can be adjusted by the installer with the VORTEX system. I always ask the customer if he wants a high 'Pebble' finish or a smoother 'Pebble' finish. All VORTEX dealers have free samples of the product at their shop for you to take home and play with. As far as slippery goes, the absolute worst slippery liner is the drop-in-liners from the dealer or aftermarket. They get like an ice cube when wet. The VORTEX material is designed to have a 'Pebble relief' finish which helps to make it a slip-resistant surface.

The thickness game was invented by the 'soft liner' companies. They have to promote the thickness of their liners because its a cover-up for the inherent flaw of their formula in my opinion. When its a softer material, it is just a matter of time until that sharp piece of angle iron, or that repeated dragging of the heavy equipment take out a significant chunk of material. VORTEX is harder than the rest and they don't need to be as thick to give much better protection. At 1/8", its pretty much overkill for most applications but I get carried away and usually apply it around 3/16" on the tailgate, wheelwells, and bed floor, and 1/8" on the side walls and front bulkhead of the truck bed.

In almost two years and over 200 trucks lined, I've not had one contractor come back with a 'punch through', rip, or tear. I line alot of contractor vehicles because the word has spread in our area that VORTEX is practically indistructable.

72longbed
72longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #19
rod13

I think it sounds like a solid investment if you dont plan on taking it off. I'd like to do it to my bed, inner fenders and the underbody of the truck
rod13 is offline   Reply With Quote